Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

O SEGREDO FROTA  Bottom

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 13 - 14 - 15 ... 26 - 27 - 28 [+1 +10]:

• Hey Coastrat, Matt922's launching spot looks pretty good from google maps aerial pics. Over 45 trailer and tow vehical length parking spots and it appears there is a small spot to back up to the beach. This boat ramp is 11 miles from the not so secret spot. I propose we try it one day when we play hooky from work. kiffer

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • Yeah, its 35ft or so from the water, there is a concrete slab that drives off right into the sand. There is also a boat ramp if you guys are that hardcore/skilled.

The two things you guys might not like is... People at certain times on the weekend and that it requires cat trax. Sandbars extend almost all the way out to the poles as well.

Since you guys dont live down here, i'll go take a pic of the sweet spot™ tomorrow.

edit/// already have a pic sorta...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/DSC_3419.jpg

Edited by matt922 on Jun 13, 2011 - 04:54 PM.
  • Thanks for the info on the launch ramp Matt922. Happy sailing!

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • forcast calls for wind...lots of it! going out tomorrow, possible horn island trip with ssw winds. bring extra ballast(beer) and rip across the mississippi sound!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • we're going to make an attempt for ship island tomorrow.

i've only been to horn once quite a few years ago, so nothing quite so daring just yet icon_razz
  • it will be a straight shot no tacking for you today from gulfport...make sure your heavy enough cause it's gonna blow around 18kts...west ship has no trees so the only structure you see is the fort...east ship has some trees left but the storms have left both so far apart that you can barely see one from the other. same for us, beam reach to and fro. wrap your beverages up in the ice bag w/the ice to keep waves from melting ice fast...one thing we learned. have a great trip!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Thanks for the tip, bud! I just got my trap harness and there are two people going with.
  • Demasted... ~8 miles out near the tip of east ship. Floated for an hour and a charter boat captain came and gave me our GPS coordinates to give to seatow. From what google maps tells me, we were right between horn and Eship, which i guess would explain the seemingly heavy boat traffic. Ended up waiting another hour or so and some awesome guy and his family pull up, and immediately ask us if we have a rope. 2 hours later we landed at O SEGREDO FROTA.

sidenote: Bill, we indeed saw the patch of (dead?) trees on East ship, seems like it has some pretty large sand dunes too? We were very close to this when we demasted.

between a broken 101" batten i JUST replaced(and broke again), tear in the sail, broke mast base(piece that rivets into mast), hardware that keeps my nacra foil on, and a new hiking stick its gonna hurt the wallet. OUCH!

How common is demasting.. is it one of those things that happens to nearly everyone, or just me?

Starting to think "JONAH" would be an appropriate name for the boat.

Edited by matt922 on Jun 18, 2011 - 11:40 PM.
  • one of those days right!...we were just a little luckier than you. got there and had the boat ready in great time(35 minutes), knew something was up... launched and realized my main was fouled so tried to untwist underway...droped the shackle pin...had a small spare...got back to spot and got another shackle...launched again...went past beau and started heading to horn...when we passed up east deer, heard the ominous "POP" sound...been there...last time i heard this we demasted just shy of west horn island. so we abort and head back. just as we turn into the spot the newly reriveted travelor base becomes unriveted. still not sure if that was the "POP" but glad to limp in unscathed. just got finished installing new mast base/step with rivets from murrays. turns out the rivets they supply are not long enough...now i need to replace all the rivets i just replaced...gonna order new standing rigging monday morning just because.

like i told matt yesterday, if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Bad news, I did dismast in 1979 but I think my bro in law cut my shroud. Glad you guys are safe. My son is playing in the USGA Public Links this week in Oregon. After that I hope to see you guys at the spot.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Coastrat, what size rivets are the right size for the mast base?

did you use the aluminum rivets that Murray's sells or did you find some stainless ones?
  • i used the ones murrays recommended. they were 3/16" by 1/2" panhead i believe, have to check that. if the old holes are corroded or wallered i would up grade to the 1/4" stainless. when i did my new mast/stepping bases i also re did my travelor base with the same 3/16" rivets. turns out that my old travelor base holes were wallered/corroded so the new rivets promptly came out on the way to horn island. i upgraded them to the 1/4" ss with a little longer pull than 1/2". i'm considering redoing the mast/step bases with the 1/4" also but they seem to be tight so i'll let sleeping dogs lie. the el chepo hand rivetors don't quite cut it for stainless, i borrowed my brother in laws heavy duty gun and it made it an easy job.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Since the mast step base is aluminum, you will want to isolate stainless rivets. (dissimilar metals and all that) Tef-Gel is well thought of for the application.
  • hey tami, tef-gel...what is it/how does it work/where can i get some? i am interested. are all the original rivets aluminum or ss? they drilled out pretty easy... thanks!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • It's not the best thing to install dissimilar metals, because there is a galvanic (I believe that's the term) reaction which occurs, and corrosion (known in engineering circles as "white stuff") is accelerated.

So you isolate the fastener with some sort of goo. Tef-gel is highly recommended for this. I think it's at West Marine, just do a Google search for "tef-gel".

Just dip the rivet in the goo and install as usual. I expect a bit should squeeze out the sides, just like you were sealing with silicone. Which silicone will work but not nearly as well as Tef-Gel which is specifically designed for the application.

here's their website/info page
    http://www.tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor

edit: I forgot to answer your other question. Depending on the make, there will be stainless or aluminum rivets, I've seen both. If you think about it, that joint really only takes strain when the mast is raised or lowered. otherwise it's in compression. So being bloody-minded about the fasteners isn't really that necessary.

Edited by tami on Jun 30, 2011 - 07:34 AM.
  • thats what i thought...the travelor base is another story. will get some tef gel next time at west...thanks!!!!!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Coastrat, take a look at these pics for me.. I'm trying to figure out if the 18.2 and 19 rudder castings are any different than the 16 and 18.

Besides the fact that mine appear to be backwards.. port on stbd side and vise versa.(They only go on one way w/ tiller stick in a usable position, one of those previous owner kinks i need to iron out).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/IMG_0385.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/IMG_0387.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/matt9229/IMG_0384.jpg
  • castings are the same(parts list) but pintles, arms, blades are different. the "p" on the castings is on the exterior sides, so you should swap them...

anywhoo, will be at fairhope yacht club tuesday sailing the blue ribbon with some friends and my brother is up from brazil with the fam. look out!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • coastratcastings are the same(parts list) but pintles, arms, blades are different. the "p" on the castings is on the exterior sides, so you should swap them...

anywhoo, will be at fairhope yacht club tuesday sailing the blue ribbon with some friends and my brother is up from brazil with the fam. look out!

yea, had a feeling about that. Not sure if you noticed, but in the past week or two, prindle parts at murray's went through the ROOF. The mast base i bought about 2 weeks ago alone went from $35 to $57. I'm pretty sure the price on the rudder castings went up significantly too. Mine are kinda wallowed out so thats on my short list.

Thanks!
  • what's up with your castings? mayby there is another solution, tony(the big red head dude that works with me) is a damn genious(no kidding), he might save you some big time cash. we call him "majicman" for good reason! ha can fix ANYTHING: he's like rainman with wrenches.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 13 - 14 - 15 ... 26 - 27 - 28 [+1 +10]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.