Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beachcats for big people, a solicitation for advice  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

• I am just guessing but i think smfinley would be willing to be a part owner of this boat too :)

smfinleyDon't forget the Nacra F20 Carbon. It is listed at less then 375lbs and is over 16 feet. It might be worth a fractional ownership....edited by: smfinley, Jun 14, 2010 - 04:42 PM

• Heck I would be 1/3 owner of an N F20 Carbon!

Philip, I mostly agree. Not the way I would have put it, but I agree with the thought. You can really overthink these things. I also understand it, I went through the same thing buying my boat (not many boats available locally besides H16s and 14s and very few multis still on the water).

To be honest I'm 220 lbs and my wife is about the same and we are VERY happy with the performance of the Nacra 5.2. The only problem is that the tramp is a little crowded, but the performance is great and it is an awesome singlehanded boat. So don't discount the 17 footer even though its a little small, if you can get one it will work well for you (and Yes Nacras do rule).

The Taipan ain't happening without importing it for some serious cash, there just aren't any around. Kind of like the N5.7 I wanted but couldn't find within 8 hours drive of me so I got the N5.2.

One mistake I did make when I was looking was not being hooked in here and on Catsailor. What I didn't know then is that you can likely find a reputable person on here who is willing to help you ship the cat. There are a couple of services people use for that, where someone is driving your way and are willing to trailor the cat for a reasonable price. Something to look into, maybe pbegle can help set you up with a Tornado (sounds like he has a few)!!

Doesn't hurt to contact some of the people and find out if you can swing something.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • QuoteI am just guessing but i think smfinley would be willing to be a part owner of this boat too :)

That was a fairly safe guess Andrew. I know a great place to store it in the summer. Maybe it could spend the winters in Florida if you want to go in on it also. icon_lol

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i got $100, i am in
    we can keep it in my yard, i will even pay for the beach parking permit
  • lonbordin One of the biggest issues is that I seem to be 1,500 miles (2414 km) from all the cats. sigh...

I didn't really think about it until I read this post, so it got me thinking . . . .
    Whatta ya know, my last 3 boats came from:
    New England (1300 miles)
    Key West (1000 miles)
    St. Louis (800 miles)

--
    Philip
    --
  • Where the heck do you sail in St. Louis!?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I was referring to where the boats came from, as in where they were purchased. Plenty of good fleet there, though.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Lon,

Since you aren't going to find a boat that fits all of your criteria, when you determine which of your criteria you can live without, let us know what boat you end up with.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Today I cleaned up from the tornadic activity that passed through here last night. A big tree from my neighbors fell taking out a big tree in my yard and taking out my fence on two sides. Some of my cat budget had to be spent to fix things today, bummer.

I'm completely aware that there isn't a perfect beach cat. But I reject the idea that researching and discussing the options is a mistake. Ignorance is not my friend nor should it be yours.

I think my list I posted fits my wants and those are the boats I'll be looking for...

I think Craiglook has all the features you trumpet for searchtempest.

Scott (smfinley) I'll continue to post my thoughts as I search for a cat... if you don't like it you don't have to read it. icon_razz

I've sailed Hobie, Prindle, Venture, Stilettos.
    There are no "local" fleets....

Crap another tornado warning... gotta go

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • QuoteI think my list I posted fits my wants and those are the boats I'll be looking for...

Until you narrow your criteria no advise will be good advise since the boat you want doesn't exist, especially not "cheap".

I am just pointing out that you are asking for recommendations on what cat is best but are looking all over the spectrum. Also some of your data might be wrong (Tiger weight etc.) which could impact your decision.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I think his short list looks pretty good, except for the Trac 18. The Tiger, F18 and the Taipan are likely going to be tough to find for under $10,000 but they are all boats I wouldn't mind owning and meet most of the criteria if not all of it.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I messed up on the Tiger weight it is 397, sorry. I'm pretty sure that is the only error.

I did leave some of the cats in there that are probably to expensive... especially after yesterday. When it comes to buying you never know. I did cull some of the super expensive boats from the list.

If you read the thread from the beginning I think you will find it has been full of good advice and discussion. That is what this forum is for, right?!

I'm not sorry it hasn't been up to your standards Scott. icon_rolleyes

Dodged many bullets tonight tornadoes spotted to the north, south, east and west. Bloomington was sparred.
  • You need a Tornado in your back yard. Pete
  • pbegleYou need a Tornado in your back yard. Pete

If you're talking about the International Tornado class cat, I completely agree... it is at the top of my list.

If you're talking about any other Tornado, GTFO! icon_wink
  • Well it would be kind of ironic, sailing a Tornado after the Tornado. I think it would be a great boat for ya!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • OK Lon, here's your boat

http://www.thebeachcats.c…roduct.php?product=10547

No excuses, this boat is close to you.

Seriously, this is what I've got and I've sailed anywhere from solo at 230-300 and with crew 500+ lbs., I've taken my 70+ year old parents out through the surf and sailed in all type conditions and waters since 1992 on the Hobie 18 with wings.

Then there is this...
    "Chicks dig the wings"

With Hobie 18's (and most boats) the year of manufacture is important.

1978-1983 heavy but bullet proof
    1984-1986 light but failure prone
    1987-1988 has the upgraded rudder system (plastic cams)
    1989+ best Hobie 18's available

Unfortunately after 1990 there were not very many 18's sold, so availability isn't good.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks Damon!

After my fence episode it will be a few pay periods before I can afford a boat. I have to admit I'm looking towards a lighter cat than the H18. But it is a good fit, thanks again.

PS- How does one know chickens like the H18 wings? Do they cluck more? icon_biggrin

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • lonbordinPS- How does one know chickens like the H18 wings? Do they cluck more? icon_biggrin

Oh yes, wings increase clucking by 43% during the day and 90% at night.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • there is no or none that i know 18+ cats under 400lbs (except a-cats)
    if you want a strong boat that can carry big loads.. your gonna have a heavy boat.

edited by: andrewscott, Jun 19, 2010 - 09:10 AM
  • andrewscottthere is no or none that i know 18+ cats under 400lbs (except a-cats)
    if you want a strong boat that can carry big loads.. your gonna have a heavy boat.
    edited by: andrewscott, Jun 19, 2010 - 09:10 AM

As posted before, in this very thread, a short list of boats that weigh less than 400 lbs.

Note: Yes the A-cats and other boats that typically go for 10k+ are not in this list. Yes there are other cats that fit as well but are more exotic and not likely to be seen (Dart18, etc.) by me living in Indiana.

CLASS D-PN Weight
    Taipan 5.7 60.7 270
    Nacra 18 64.6 330
    Tornado 63.9 340
    Hobie FXOne 68.5 340
    Nacra 5.5 69.7 340
    Trac 18 67.5 349
    Nacra 570 70.5 360
    Nacra 5.7 72.6 360
    Prindle 18-2 69.1 365
    Prindle 19 66.4 375
    18m2 67.2 375
    SuperCat 19 69 375

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.