Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beachcats for big people, a solicitation for advice  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

• andrewscott
    Where do you find an inexpensive Tornado?

inexpensive is subjective. what is your price range? that should have a large impact on your options (not that you can't get a Tornado for under $5k, but a newer one in pristine condition could cost what a new honda costs)

Tornado's were recently tossed out of Olympic competition (extremely unfortunate and not good for the sport) and more and more should be coming available.

Like any specific brand, just gotta keep your eyes out. I have seen quite a few of them for sale recently (this site and others)

dont forget ebay and craigslist
    edited by: andrewscott, Jun 08, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Ebay check
    Craiglook check
    many other sites check
    Keeping my virtual eyes skinned!

I haven't set an exact price... I'd go up for the right boat. One of the biggest issues is that I seem to be 1,500 miles (2414 km) from all the cats. sigh... fly-over country whatcha' going to do?!

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • another option would be to get a smaller cat (if they are more available) for your first season. well used cats are pretty stable in price/value and you could simply purchase one that is local and convenient until you find your dream cat.

There is a local guy who weighs more than you and he does ok on a H16 (solo), esp in 15+.

another factor here that i just thought of is... if you get a Tornado, or P18/19, H18 etc... you better be in super duper duper shape if you plan to ba able to drag that up a beach solo. these cats all weigh 400+ and are tough to get up a beach even with 2 people sometimes (esp if you haven't emptied the keg, or have taken on some water).

I can "sail" my cat up the beach solo with the right wind conditions, but typically the wind doesn't cooperate
  • pbegleTornado is the only way to go. Fast, kick-up CENTERBOARDS and rudders. Big wide tramp & I put forward tramps on mine (have five of them) to throw the light weights forward. Get the power-pole righting & practice near shore. The Classic T's are the best value on the market, but you can spend a little more and get a Sport model. At 73 & 135 #'s, I can single hand to 18 mph (and also have a float atop mast--Baby Bob). Pete

I see you have an add now... but you're 1710 miles away. icon_frown

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • I'm sure a tornado would do the trick. (wouldn't mind one myself) but don't count out the P18. Mine never has less than 400lbs crew weight and has sailed great with over 600lbs.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Yes, but if you come out, you can race a T on a fresh water lake with white caps in PM, or climb the range behind us & ski a bowl that will be there til July this year.
  • One of these days I'm gonna have to arrange a camping weekend with the family at Big Bear Pete and come your setup. It sure sounds you have a lot of fun.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • pbegleYes, but if you come out, you can race a T on a fresh water lake with white caps in PM, or climb the range behind us & ski a bowl that will be there til July this year.

OK, the bowl sounds fun (I'm a hardboot snowboarder)... I get enough fresh water at home (yuck.).

But 1710 miles one way...it's too much. Maybe I'll be desperate later. icon_biggrin

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • Well, you are only 600 miles from here, http://www.aquarius-sail.com/ and there should be a selection of supercats around. I think SC19's had dagger boards and it sounds like you might want to avoid those if there are as many underwater hazards as you say. Just my two bits.

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • We have a small airport here and could probably arrange a helicopter drop-in. My son (ski instructor) and a friend (tennis instructor) would love to go). Pete
  • Quote. I think SC19's had dagger boards

it does have boards but it is the same hull shape as the 15/17 and they are boardless. you can sail without them... but i agree they may not be desirable with underwater hazards (but then again.. rudders go underwater i think)
  • Dagger-boards are fine as are centerboards. I don't mind the risk.

Is there much in the way of SuperCat info or parts available?
  • yes, they are still sold by aquarius (aquarius-sail.com) in florida. parts are available.

this is a fun, fast and especially wet cat. if staying dry is at all a consideration, this is not your boat. if getting wet is desired... (get it) :)

also note the stock trampoline is open mesh and know to remove a few layers of skin. the sc17 i sail with uses knee pads EVERY sail... although he is a racer and VERY serious about it (meaning a casual sailor may not grind off skin with every tack)
  • So a Hobie 20 (Miracle) has presented itself as the leading contender for my affection.

Thoughts and opinions? Any special things I should look out for in the H20?
  • Great boat! From what I have read anyway, I was looking at buying one just before I got my boat. I figured that a 20 was a little much for my first boat. I have heard since then that they sail really well and tend to behave themselves. Quite a bit of boat to handle by yourself but if you rig it right you should be able to do it. It's basically a narrow Tornado with high aspect daggerboards. Overall a very fast boat!

I don't think there is anything special to look for except the normal foam sandwich catamaran problems. Soft spots in the hulls, stress cracking around the beams, hull tangs for rigging and transom, worn out keels etc.

edited by: Wolfman, Jun 08, 2010 - 11:08 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'm really concerned about self-righting the H 20... It seems the wisdom of the internet says no... what say thebeachcats forum?

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • i say a man of your size could/should/may be able to right a 20' cat if:

the mast is 100% sealed (you can do this with a tube of silicone)

and you have a righting bag/pole

I have only 1 time been able to self right my cat. i am noW carrying 2 righting bags

edited by: andrewscott, Jun 09, 2010 - 05:43 PM
  • Anyone have experience solo self righting H18+, NACRA 5.8+, etc?

Should I make this a new thread?

edited by: lonbordin, Jun 09, 2010 - 05:10 PM
  • i have self righted a h18... with a righting bag.

you are not going to self right almost ANY cat (in your range) without some aid (bag/pole/blonde)
  • What this blonde thing you speak of? icon_lol
  • during my last 2 capsizes (this year) i could not get my cat to right so i had other boats in the area drop of a crew member to assist. on both occasions they were very nice and attractive females. Unfortunately the skippers required me to return them :)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.