Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18-2  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi to all

I used to sail a Mystere in the UK back in the mid 80's - I'm looking at a used Prindle 18-2 but its priced at $6500 with a trailer etc - the centerboards have cracks and are swollen - any advice on what price I should be paying for a 18-2 and is it a good boat etc

Thanks for any help

Steve/Josh
  • WHAT YEAR IS THE BOAT?
  • NADA used prices
    2000 P18/2 $3300-3700
    2003 P18/2 $$3700-4200
    2004 P18/2 $3900-4400 I think this is the last year made
    All these prices are with a trailer
  • https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83362

They say it was kept boxed and then finally titled etc in 2005 - so its more like a 1985? model - the condtion doesnt look too bad except for the centerboards

Steve
  • sounds way expensive for a 1985 boat

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • onekiwisounds way expensive for a 1985 boat

Thanks Carl icon_wink
  • I would be concerned about the trailer. Pictures show 2 different trailers. A Trailex and a regular painted
    steel trailer.

Scott
  • NADA 1987 P 18/2 $1500-1700 with trailer
    The closest to 1985, not sure if the were made
    earlier, shows as 1987 was the first year
    Performance Cat was the manufacture for Prindle
  • Way too expensive for any 18-2. I had a 19 for a couple of decades and currently have a modified 18-2. Have never seen centerboards swollen. More than likely you will have to buy new boards. I would keep looking. There are plenty of boats out there.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Don't put too much stock in N.A.D.A. An older boat might have a newer tramp and sails, the cost of which might easily exceed the book value of the boat. A lot of these boats are the same year after year. Judge it by it's condition and what you will have to spend to get it the way you want.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • sizzlesuggs55
    This looks like a project someone put together to sell.
    There are strong indications this cat was not constructed or modftied by anyone who understands cats.
    Why did they cut the extra portholes on such a "new" cat? That is usually indicative of extensive repair, or worse, not knowing how to assemble/disassemble the catamaran.
    The metal tie down loops bolted to the crossbars is absolutely unneccessary, weakens the crossbar, and makes the deck even more uncomfortable. The corners on the mounting pad will tear your wet or dry suit.
    The tramp uses slugs to affix the rear lacing bar to the crossbar. It will wear poorly when stepped on in between the slugs, like when raising or lowering the mast. And what are those hoops on the tie downs for the hiking straps?
    The trap hardware is makeshift and they used oversized line which is a PITA to use when you need it. The brass hook will beat up the fiberglass and hardware when released for use. Otherwise why have a hook?
    The existance of swollen centerboards (costing hundreds of dollars each) does not fit with the the much cleaner appearance of the hulls. This cat has many indications of being cobbled together with available mateials.

Hullflyer 1987 P 18/2 $1500-1700 with trailer
    The closest to 1985, not sure if the were made
    earlier, shows as 1987 was the first year
    Performance Cat was the manufacture for Prindle

1985 was the first year for the 18-2, Surfglas became Performance Catamarans a few years later. This listing would be a fair price for a cat that needs two centerboards right away. You cannot sail it without them.
    If you end up with an 18-2, I have some information gathered for the greater good:
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=123714

Good luck with your search!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Damn Bob for an older guy you have good eyes!!!!Another thing I noticed when I just had a look at the photos were the shroud plate screws were painted, not standard I believe.
    Remind me never to sell a cat in front of you lot!!haha

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • onekiwiDamn Bob for an older guy you have good eyes!!!!Another thing I noticed when I just had a look at the photos were the shroud plate screws were painted, not standard I believe.
    Remind me never to sell a cat in front of you lot!!haha

Thanks for the compliment(?), Carl. :)

I'm a fan of being honest, and the selling posting smells distinctly of a cat that was built for money and has not seen much, if any, water time in its selling state. This is deception to a buyer who lacks catamaran experience. So buyer beware of problems sailing it for the first time and having to shake down more than just my list of WTFs...

You sail a Dart 18. Great cat- Ackerman geometry in the tiller, light hulls and perfect balance in the water. A good friend in California has sailed the Dart 18 for almost 4 decades. He oftentimes solos in the Santa Barbara channel. His trampoline has a handle sewn into each corner underneath for you to grab during righting to keep it from continuing over. The Dart is the first cat I ever sew that on.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteThanks for the compliment(?), Carl. :)

hahah~
  • It was a compliment Bob, I have raced against you in Ventura.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • I had not looked at the pictures before hand, but all comments above are very good... like said, the boat has been recently painted. I didn't recall any boats with blue decks, I thought they were white or grey, but I could be wrong. If you look closely at the pic with the new hatch, the sides of the deck plate are not painted.. it is a sloppy job. You can see paint runs at the top of the centerboard trunk. My guess is they covered the typical gel coat cracks and added paint to hide. I rarely trust newly painted boats.. usually hiding something.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Thanks to all for some very informative reply’s - really appreciate the input - I will definitely be giving this one a wide berth and continue my search

Steve/Josh

Edited by sizzlesuggs55 on Mar 12, 2020 - 11:53 PM.
  • onekiwiIt was a compliment Bob, I have raced against you in Ventura.

No worries, mate!
    I hope to race again this summer- Anacapa and maybe Milt. You undoubtedly realized I was talking about "Dartman" Martinez in my post.
    See you there?

Edited by klozhald on Mar 13, 2020 - 02:07 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • yesssir

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    --
  • texastuma I didn't recall any boats with blue decks, I thought they were white or grey, but I could be wrong.

There were blue and yellow decklids. But these boats usually had impregnated stripes down the side to match the tops

For instance

https://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics/picprindle182100c.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/lMu69szu6OclG0-QHXEhtcBUr3vLE4KDjS6TOMBtcTw2IzqwVQkGPWT2ifETu8HaAI_8QIaEa3lJq3hj3FwUdVJ4g8bYKe01rgWq4u1sMji2YO4cQsA

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.