Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Merits of beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I've recently upgraded from a Hobie 16 to 21 Sport Cruiser and needless to say, it is a beast to move around unless its being launched directly from the trailer. I'm interested in hearing about anyone's experience using Cat Trax for a boat this size or if anyone has tried the PVC rollers that Hobie once advertised. My goal is to be able to move the boat with just two adults from the surfline up a sandy beach or even across some west Florida mud flats. I'm slightly skeptical that the Cat Trax will make moving 600lbs+ easy enough for two adults. Thanks for your input.
  • They are one of the best purchases you can make to increase enjoyment of your cat. I don’t know how I lived without them. Cradles help a lot as well and I would go ahead and spend the extra money on a set with cradles. I sail on a supercat 20 which is probably 550lbs and my friend and I do not struggle launching almost anywhere. Once it’s on it’s balance point and tied down, moving it with one person isn’t horrible either. Lots of worn out, dry rotted sets lying around but I would spring for new and take care of them, it’s a great investment. I actually sail with my mine on the boat for long trips so I can haul out whenever and wherever
  • +1 on Jalex comments.
    I have a smaller boat, but having beach wheels has made a world of difference.
    My boat is only 350#’s but with ice chest and other equipment, likely moves me over 425 and I have a steep beach. Wouldn’t sail near as much if I didn’t have them.
    I launch and sail solo most of the time.

Edited by windwardde on Feb 21, 2020 - 01:06 PM.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Quoteor if anyone has tried the PVC rollers that Hobie once advertised.

What do these look like? I have never heard of them
  • MN3
    Quoteor if anyone has tried the PVC rollers that Hobie once advertised.

What do these look like? I have never heard of them

I probably should have used the proper terminology. Hobie called them a "track slide" They can be seen at 2:38 of the Hobie 21sc promo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqAhV_ZEHA

The slides would be really easy to home build and pack but they look like a pain to do anything but push the boat up and down to the water's edge.

It sounds like the Cat Trax with cradles is really the way to go in the long run. I like the idea of having a pair that I could keep onboard if I want to pull up on a beach to camp for the night.
  • ahhhh - good info
    in my 20 years of cat sailing i have never heard of nor seen those. they look pretty decent in the video and very mobile. wonder what would happen in mudd / rocky areas?

Cat Trax are the cat's meow for sure - so simple a cave man could have designed them - but next to impossible to home build a better version
    the only reason i didn't comment about them is i don't know their working loads. they are fine for my 450lb cats but your talking 25% above that.

I will say that they are somewhat heavy and sailing around with them on your bow is not great for sailing. they put a decent amount of weight WAYYYYY up front and make tacking a little more challenging (at least on my boat and others that i camp with). It is worth it to take them camping to get your cat out of the water but i wouldn't want to get caught in bad weather with them up there.
  • I think the tires (Nanking, mostly) are originally designed for ultralight airplanes, implying their working load would be fine to just over 600# as a pair. They're also cheap- something like $30 each, new. I have a new set that I have yet to install as the used cat trax I have are a bit dry rotted. Don't look forward to the change out, as I've done ATV and motorcycle tires before by hand... Let's just say it can hurt if the tire tool slips...

I've heard people suggesting modifying them to have 4 tires on the Trax, with the hulls in between but I'd think that takes one of the elements (lightness) away from the tool. To Niknot's point - these things are heavy and so far I haven't even tried to use the Trax yet, favoring launching right off trailer. Now that I have a real nice trailer, however that may change... Would love to see a video of someone transferring a 21 between the trailer and the Trax. I mean, is it hard to put one of these large cats on Trax???

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Quote Don't look forward to the change out, as I've done ATV and motorcycle tires before by hand... Let's just say it can hurt if the tire tool slips...

Take them to an atv shop and have them do it for you - save your hands unless you know you can do it and want to save the cash

Quote Would love to see a video of someone transferring a 21 between the trailer and the Trax. I mean, is it hard to put one of these large cats on Trax???

It's all technique - very little muscle needed
    if you put the wheels in the correct place, and have a helper hold them in place until the bows are off the trailer and the CE of the boat is over the cradle it is not "hard" at all

I can solo my 6.0 off the trailer, on the cat trax, rig and into the water.
    and even solo back up the beach and on the trailer but using a winch makes life much easier to get it on the trailer
    having help is 99% better
  • Hmmmm...Got to get them ready then. This could make life easier... I need to extend my Trax and change the tires this weekend.

So you off-load right onto the Trax? I get putting them on the balance point...

Ehh... I'll give the tire change a go; if not easy - I sure ain't going to fight it any more. Discount Tire's way too close to me. I do have all the tools from riding and working on bikes for so many years.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I tried calling up Florida Sailcraft to see if they could offer any input on the use of the Cat Trax for a heavier boat like the H21sc, no response yet but i'll share if I hear anything back.

There's been some great documentation by forum members in the past about the Cat Trax and it certainly seems like the magic is in their hub design. From what I can see the tires are just inexpensive smooth ATV tires. The Nanco N800s are mentioned regularly as replacement tires. Their load capacity is listed at 355lbs a piece. It is certainly enough for a H21sc as long as you don't have anyone jumping around on the boat while it's loaded. Here's where I found the reference to capacity :https://www.speedytire.co…co/n800/21x12-8-30151002
  • Yup, same spec tires I bought. Not concerned whether they'll work, just hear complaints about not spreading weight out enough. Proofs in the pudding, I guess.

What I REALLY need is a way to lift the bows off the front cradles using double rollers so I then have the whole boat on rollers front and back, instead of just back tilting rollers...thinking of an extra set of rollers on a cam that rotates by lever and lifts the front hulls...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • I owned a Supercat 20 in the early 90s and used ballon style tires from cat trax and used an extra long axle with cradles. I used 4 tires, one each on both sides of the cradles and it worked perfect. I have also seen the similar system used with two separate independent smaller axles.
  • The pvc track slide was specifically designed by Hobie for the SC. The advantage is that they can easily be stored in the hulls or cat cabin on the 21 sport cruiser so you can carry them on the boat while sailing and use when you get to your destination. This sounds like what you want to do. Carrying a full set of wheels on the boat would be very cumbersome when sailing. Otherwise, cat trax are great for wheeling the boat around on the beach.

You may want to post your question on the Hobie forum. The moderator, Matt Miller, frequently answers technical questions and he designed much of the 21SC, so likely can provide insight.

sm
  • charlescarlisWould love to see a video of someone transferring a 21 between the trailer and the Trax. I mean, is it hard to put one of these large cats on Trax???

I do that very often so I optimized it. My boat is smaller (n5.5) but it should work:
    Changed the rear cradles of the trailer for double rollers. Big difference.
    Then I adapted a couple Zodiak wheels that make it possible to slide the boat in and out without having to hold it at the sterns,just slide it. I use the trailer winch tu pull it in

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130726&g2_serialNumber=3
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130725&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by Andinista on Feb 22, 2020 - 04:25 PM.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the Cattrax extension kit for anything over 8'6" wide so I bought an 11' section of 1/4" 6061 2" OD tube and the weight gain is nominal. Something to consider.
  • HeadhunterI'm not a huge fan of the Cattrax extension kit for anything over 8'6" wide so I bought an 11' section of 1/4" 6061 2" OD tube and the weight gain is nominal. Something to consider.

for what boat?
  • I got 6061, T-6 tubing as well. Clear anodized, from the fence supply place. Its used for handrails, commercial type. Also used it to build my permanently mounted Gen pole on my trailer. Good stuff! I'll try that. At almost 10 feet wide, its a bit much.

Id like to know which boat you fit it to also..

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • When I purchased my last boat, I also received a 'beach dolly' with the deal. It was a Florida Sailcraft made Cat Trax brand unit that has 2 cross bars, 4 cradles, 3 wheels, a "T" handle and mounted winch. One word ... awesome. Getting the boat off the trailer and moving it around the yard is soooo easy for one person.

I tried to find something similar on line but no luck so I don't think they are sold any longer.

Edited by dssaak on Feb 27, 2020 - 12:54 AM.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteWhen I purchased my last boat, I also received a 'beach dolly' with the deal. It was a Florida Sailcraft made Cat Trax brand unit that has 2 cross bars, 4 cradles, 3 wheels, a "T" handle and mounted winch. One word ... awesome. Getting the boat off the trailer and moving it around the yard is soooo easy for one person.

sounds awesome
    Can you post a pic of this?
  • MN3
    HeadhunterI'm not a huge fan of the Cattrax extension kit for anything over 8'6" wide so I bought an 11' section of 1/4" 6061 2" OD tube and the weight gain is nominal. Something to consider.

for what boat?

Thunderpussy Dos hits the water this April...hopefully.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.