Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

WE PUT GETAWAY WINGS ON A PRINDLE!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I'll post it to youtube some day, so the meteorologists can pick at it. It was a small, rapidly moving patch of dark water on the already dark water. You can see it run into the boat from windward and WHUMP! within a second everything up was down...

Even with steady tradewinds, we do get some crazy wind events around the marine base. Often holes and sharp 90º shifts, even jet wash! There's also an area I call the Hawaiian Triangle, where the channel tides and winds converge to put everything on pause, just as you're trying to get over a big reef/marker.

It may just be the Navy testing its new Anti-Catamaran weapon system.
    rofl sniper

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • haha!
    Go Navy
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131551&g2_serialNumber=4
    YEEHAAW!!

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • What kind of foam did you use for padding? How thick? How was it beld in place? Cover tension or cement?

I may pad my seats on a new-to-me Getaway.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • padding helps a ton for comfort. I may end up with EVA on frame, covered by the tramp material just to have something, especially on long sails. Looking for options for some 1\2 inch to 3/4 inch, closed cell foam. And, will add soft drink holders at same time.

Following and looking...

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • This is Bill Roberts take on wing seats on Supercats.
    "Wing seats are OK as long as you support the outer edge of the seat woth the trap wires. This way the sailors weight travels
    the same path and goes directly to the pressure in the sail, same as if you were trap out without wings. Also the wing structure can be built out of lighter weight tubing with trap wire support. Now, a wing built out of lightweight Al tubing, 6061T-6 alloy, will weigh about 25 pounds each. So, you are adding around 50 pounds to the weight of the boat, That 50 pounds is there all the time. One cubic of water will support 60 pounds. If your boat weighs 50 pounds more than it did before adding wings, now every time it moves ahead one boat length the hulls must push aside almost another cubic ft of water. That is 12ins by 12ins by12ins more water must be displaced or pushed out of the way for the boat to move ahead one boat length. Adding weight doesn't come for free."

Edited by gahamby on Jun 12, 2021 - 02:51 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Touché, but the wings aren't about competition, are they? Just nice comfortable fun. Sort of like a sport sedan as opposed to a sports car.

Good info. to keep in mind for sailing dynamics though.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • "Wing seats are OK as long as you support the outer edge of the seat woth(sic) the trap wires. This way the sailors weight travels
    the same path and goes directly to the pressure in the sail, same as if you were trap out without wings."
    This is the part of the quote I found most relevant.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • If I’m understanding the physics of load transfer correctly, that would only apply if the wings were free pivoting, supported only by the trap wires.
    In order to do this, you would have to modify the wings, by removing the “leg” that goes from the wing to the outer edge of the hull.
    I’m not convinced the quote is accurate. If you do a load analysis, say on the wire, yes, the wire pulls on the mast, but the entire forces get transferred to your feet, which are on the edge of the hull.
    For wings,your sitting mass wants to pull the big tube upwards,
    ( pivoting on the smaller leg), but essentially, almost all the load gets transferred to the hull outer edge, via the support leg...in other words, the same as using trap wires to support the wing.
    The trap wires are essentially taking some of the load the stays would absorb. You can see this while trapping in a lull, the stay goes slack, the trap wire taking the load.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 13, 2021 - 09:38 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Gahamby,
    I made wings from H17 wings for my N5.2. They just slide in the beam ends. After the first big wave with two up I found them to be too flexible and they may have yielded a little. I ended up hooking an adjustable trap wire to the front corner of the seat.
    I do not like this setup as it increases the number of wires to plow thru during a pitchpole. I plan to revise my setup to be more similar to the Hobie wings and get rid of the wire.
    btw, my current setup is less than 25lbs per wing. Have not measured it yet, but the comfort increase on long trips is outstanding.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Well Bill Roberts isn't around anymore to argue his point. If he was he would do so at length. The post is a direct copy and paste from his post on the Aquarius Owners Site.

https://owners.aquarius-s…ilit=Wing+seats&start=15

Page 2 post 6.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Any one use foam under the wing seat covers? What type and thickness?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Quote"Wing seats are OK as long as you support the outer edge of the seat woth(sic) the trap wires. This way the sailors weight travels
    the same path and goes directly to the pressure in the sail, same as if you were trap out without wings."

Probably talking about racing and attempting to minimize the difference between stock boats

we add trap-seats (wings) for comfort and space. been done for decades sans trap wire support.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.