Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

N5.7 DS rod length.  Bottom

• Just replaced my N5.7 DS rod with Murray’s.
    Instructions say after pre-tension I should have 3/4” to 1” from top of nut to bottom of mast ball, and if more than that to cut it.
    I have about 1.25” so it “should” be cut down, but doesn’t sound fun considering it’s solid a 9/16” SS rod.
    Thoughts?
  • "If it works, don't fix it."

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • If it is to long it could cause the mast base to break where the clevis pin goes through when lowering the mast.
  • I would not hesitate to cut a 9/16" stainless rod. An abrasive wheel would make short work of it.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • Exactly - simple machining (cutting and drilling) of stainless seems more daunting than it is. You don't need anything more than a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder for this.

--
    Southern Alberta and all over the damn place.
    1981 SuperCat 20 "Roberts' Rockets"
    1983 SuperCat 19
    TriFoiler #23 "Unfair Advantage"
    Mystere 17
    Unicorn A-Class (probably made by Trowbridge) that I couldn't resist rescuing at auction.
    H18 & Zygal (classic) Tornado - stolen and destroyed - very unpleasant story.
    Invitation and Mistral and Sunflower and windsurfers w/ Harken hydrofoils and god knows what else...
    --
  • 10-4. Thx guys.
    Yea, was looking @the nice machine finished ends thinking “not gonna cut it like that with everyday garage tools “
    Ha
  • WHOA WHOA STOP!
    You’re talking 1/4” inch. That is a mouse fart in a hurricane. Go look at a dozen 5.0/5.2/5.7 and you will see a dozen different lengths.
    There is absolutely nothing to be gained by cutting a 1/4” off the DS. You will not break the mast base...unless you fail to rotate, or drop it.
    It does cut easy, but unless you want to spend some time with a file, or have access to a lathe, the end will be crap.
    Years ago I made a new DS, for $16, documented here.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…635f0d18b5ef69dff4b967cd

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I can't talk much about the application as I don't have any cat experience other than what I've done on my H16. We have a lathe in our EAA chapter hangar and I use that often, but not for cutting down threads. Generally I'll cut it down and taper the couple of end threads on a bench grinder. If you put a nut on before you make the cut, removing it tends to clean the threads up so it is easy to thread on again. Generally I don't need to resort to pulling out the tap and die set to clean them up.

--
    Bryan in Poplar Grove, IL
    Supercat 17, unknown year. Future project
    Hobie 16, 1977 - died a spectacular death https://youtu.be/Y7O22bp2MVA
    Hobie 16, 1978 - current boat
    --
  • You really can't pre-tension (load up) the main beam and dolphin striker while the main-beam is still on the boat. It needs to be taken off and done if you want to do it correctly. Using a string from end to end on the main-beam you should have about a 1/4" bow at the dolphin striker. If you don't want to take the beam off, at the least, loosen every thing up.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks for all the help!
    Just had front beam off for trampoline replacement so loosening straps would be an issue

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.