• The 17 is 8.5, but I need a rich benefactor

Length: 5.25m (17.2ft.)

Width: 2.6m (8.5ft.)

Main sail area: 17m²

Jib surface: 4m²

Gennaker surface (optional): 19-21m²

Weight: 159kg (350lbs)

Mast height: 9m (29.5ft.)

Construction: Fiberglass / foam sandwich (vinylester resin)

Capacity: 1-3 people

Vrsion SPOR
    Centerboard

Pentex Main and jib

Auto tacking jib

Gennaker on continous furler

Price: 28 995$ +tx

Edited by carl2 on Sep 19, 2018 - 12:47 PM.
  • MN3you can't buy new t hulls

I know where a set of Tornado molds live... anything is possible. How much money have you?

Randii
  • randii
    MN3you can't buy new t hulls

I know where a set of Tornado molds live... anything is possible. How much money have you?

Randii

Haha, i have 4 sound hulls currently ... not in the market for hulls
    (esp from another type of cat)
  • MN3

you can't buy new t hulls

Yes you can.... Mastrom will gladly do a special order... you may pay an arm and a leg and it may take a while..... but......

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3
    cholley12Na....ill just buy a tornado for my next one

you can't buy new t hulls
    you can buy a new mystere

(and mystere's were designed by Reg White, originally Tornado trainers, and don't have 10' beams to deal w)

ymmvEdited by MN3 on Sep 19, 2018 - 11:17 AM.

Very true, but the Mysteres never did well here. I really like the design, but not impressed with results.

Regarding the hull molds, I wouldn't do it. I've raced a Prindle 19 or 18-2 since 1990. I have never been impressed with the lack of buoyancy in the bows. The Tornado has a lot better volume up front. An idea would be to make a Tornado 8-1/2' wide. Stick double traps on it and go have fun. The lack of flaps on the P's is annoying. I originally bought a P-19 because I could build my own sails and the class shift was going from the 5.8 to the 19. I think that if someone loved the 19 or 18-2 enough to build hulls, just buy another boat and keep for spares.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • [quote=texastuma][quote=MN3]
    cholley12 Very true, but the Mysteres never did well here. I really like the design, but not impressed with results.

we must be seeking different results :)
    http://asnstudios.com/images/zack.jpg

http://asnstudios.com/images/wing-fly.jpg
    (pics are my buddy zack)

if you're talking fleet racing ... they had their day in the 90's... and haven't been competitive since
    but for an all around fast & fun cat ... it's won me over

Edited by MN3 on Sep 20, 2018 - 06:15 PM.
  • texastuma

I have never been impressed with the lack of buoyancy in the bows.

I sort of disagree with this on the 18-2.... There are two boats I really had to work at getting them pitch-pole the 18-2 was on of them... I am on my third one now.... the other was a NACRA 5.8NA with two overweight slobs (me being one of them icon_lol ) literately siting forward of the main/front beam, block to block on a screaming beam reach into the face of a wave....

AAMOF, to really get the 18-2 going I have found putting the weight of the skipper forward of the shroud and the crew straddling and/or forward of the main beam seems to be it's sweet spot for the 18-2.... (Darn it... I just reveled one of my race secrets....)

Edited by JohnES on Sep 20, 2018 - 06:30 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Other than catastrophic damage, or complete foam deterioration, a good glass shop can make a hull almost as good as new, maybe a little extra weight but nothing that can be a deal breaker. People would normally balk at the idea of doing a high $$$ glass\gel coat job on a Prindle 18, but you like what you like. I did it on my Gcat 5.7 and couldn't be happier.
  • JohnES
    texastuma

I have never been impressed with the lack of buoyancy in the bows.

I sort of disagree with this on the 18-2.... There are two boats I really had to work at getting them pitch-pole the 18-2 was on of them... I am on my third one now.... the other was a NACRA 5.8NA with two overweight slobs (me being one of them icon_lol ) literately siting forward of the main/front beam, block to block on a screaming beam reach into the face of a wave....

AAMOF, to really get the 18-2 going I have found putting the weight of the skipper forward of the shroud and the crew straddling and/or forward of the main beam seems to be it's sweet spot for the 18-2.... (Darn it... I just reveled one of my race secrets....)Edited by JohnES on Sep 20, 2018 - 06:30 PM.

I agree on the Nacra. I had 2 5.8's and raced a 6.0. Have a friend who had a 5.2 and we would be double trapped on a reach, both run forward and see how much mud we get on the bows. Clear Lake is about 4-6' deep where we were sailing. We usually got mud up to the bridle. I'm running a modified 18-2 now. In winds under 15-18, I'll sit shroud-ish with going forward as far as I can as the wind decreases. But, in wind >20 knots, I could easily pitch the 18-2 off the wind. She gets very squirrely in 25+ knot wind. I have to work the helm a lot to not trip over the backside of waves. The worst I have done on this one is stick it vertical in 33 knots of wind. Being 10' wide, capsizing is not an option. The flat decks are not forgiving at all.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • [quote=MN3][quote=texastuma]
    MN3
    cholley12 Very true, but the Mysteres never did well here. I really like the design, but not impressed with results.

we must be seeking different results :)
    http://asnstudios.com/images/zack.jpg

http://asnstudios.com/images/wing-fly.jpg
    (pics are my buddy zack)

if you're talking fleet racing ... they had their day in the 90's... and haven't been competitive since
    but for an all around fast & fun cat ... it's won me overEdited by MN3 on Sep 20, 2018 - 06:15 PM.

We only had one boat here, and I do not recall their experience. I would still like to sail one, like I said, I have been very impressed with the design.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • QuoteWe only had one boat here, and I do not recall their experience. I would still like to sail one, like I said, I have been very impressed with the design.

in our very unregulated local races the mystere 6.0 was competitive in (portsmith) distance racing with the nacra 6.0 when skippered well. of course portsmith distance racing is a bit of an oxymoron as portsmith racing was developed for racing around marks - not distance racing . but that's how they roll around here

as a non racer - it has everything i want. lots of volume, spin, big tramp area (comparatively) and centerboards

so nice i've bought 3 of them so far
  • In San Diego, 1991 Prindle 19 Hulls, Tramp, Dagger Boards, etc available at a great value

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/510262843408360
  • In San Diego, 1991 Prindle 19 Hulls, Tramp, Dagger Boards, etc available at a great value
  • jalexOther than catastrophic damage, or complete foam deterioration, a good glass shop can make a hull almost as good as new, maybe a little extra weight but nothing that can be a deal breaker. People would normally balk at the idea of doing a high $$$ glass\gel coat job on a Prindle 18, but you like what you like. I did it on my Gcat 5.7 and couldn't be happier.

Can you share where you got the glass work done?

--
    G-Cat 5.7
    Sarasota
    --
  • 1991 19' Prindle Hull, Trampoline, Mast, Boom, Dagger Boards and Accessories available in San Diego
  • 1991 19ft Prindel Hulls, Tramp, Mast, Boom,etc avail in San Diego
  • mason1114Points all well made. You guys are good!! and honest. I guess I am just stubborn - it's the Texas blood in me I guess. I just can't seem to give up the dream of owning a pair of new Prindle Hulls!!. The old boats are such a joy to sail. I'll keep you posted on my efforts - all though I know they are probably in vain. Just tired of injecting soft spots or searching craigs lists for a decent Prindle within 400 miles of my home. I already drove from here to New Mexico to obtain the one I have. Seem to be harder and harder to find.

I understand what you are saying about trying to keep a good boat going; I have owned and raced a P-19 and modified 18-2 since 1989. I have gotten to know the boats very well. My biggest issue with the Prindles is lack of bow buoyancy. I tend to push the boats very hard and used to race a N5.8 and N6.0. One thing I had thought about is reskinning the boat with carbon vacuum bagging. On soft spots, you can reskin that area. But, for the most part with these boats, we somewhat settle for a boat within our budget. I have refinished a wooden Tornado and have become very spoiled with how the Nader performs. The problem (and benefit) with the Nader is the beam. My 18-2 is modified where it is a 10' wide P18-2, it's not normal....

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Quote(and mystere's were designed by Reg White, originally Tornado trainers, and don't have 10' beams to deal w)

QuoteAhh yes, i forgot they are only producing the XL for the 6.0
    the older 6.0's came in 8.5 or 10' versions

My Mystere 6.0XL came with two sets of beams, & two tramps. It could be setup with either 8’ or 10’ beam. I only ran it at 10’, (actually 14’ with the wings). If I was a couple decades younger, I’d still have that boat. Man, we just walked away from H17’s, A cats, & everything else on the lake...all while sitting comfortably on the wings, with a cold one in hand. It went through rough seas like a Laser on smooth water.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.