Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Righting an H18 solo with a Murray's Big Bag  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Help settle a discussion, should a 180lb sailor be able to reliably right an H18 solo using the Murray's Big Cat Righting Bag? Hard to find consensus on this one.

(Assume good technique, experienced sailor, no problem righting with crew, etc)

Thanks!

Edited by warhovs on Jun 15, 2017 - 07:29 AM.
  • yes - absolutely yes - hell yes
    I have done it many times solo on my h18 and mystere 5.5

- it's all about technique

I watched my friend solo right his Mystere 6.0 fully rigged (spin) with just one bag
  • I have the Colorado Bag Co, big bag. I think it is 10gal, & I used it successfully on a Nacra 5.0, N5.7, & H18.
    When testing it, I flipped the N5.7(19') on a nearly calm day. It took the entire bag full, I only weigh 170lb.
    If there is any wind you need less water, & once the wind is appx 20mph, I can right it just by hiking, the wind on the tramp works in your favour.
    I would suggest a 3:1 purchase, with cleat, to attach the bag to the righting line. It is very difficult to hoist a full bag up, then hold it as you hike.
    With a purchase you can easily hoist the bag exactly where you need it, then simply step inside the line & hike out.
    I use this-
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74269&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=928d14fbc4e9ae61f57af9a163a01698

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Couple of righting bags on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Righting-Bucket-for-hobie-nacra-prindle-cat-/391691115125?hash=item5b329c1a75:m:mmTT0kBLw8DtANcvCOvjEvw

Murrays look a bit nicer...anyone use one of the above?

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --
  • I haven't seen 180 pounds in long enough not to be able to comment on that... it should work, though.

I use the Murray's bag, which leaked a fair bit out the seams (not the fabric, just the seams). I used $5 Wall-mart water-based seam sealer (from the camping section) and that decreased the leaks to just a dribble.

I also used 1/2" flexible PVC to create a 'rim' to keep the bucket open and even float a little. It all pops apart and fits in a skinny mesh bag I keep clipped to the front of the tramp.

Randii

Edited by randii on Jun 16, 2017 - 12:22 PM.
  • All day man. I have, or had a home made water bag the same size. Friend lost it in a race last month, gotta make me a new one now. You won't need it but half full or so. First time is awkward, then it's easy. I didn't have any blocks to help lift it either. Just a loop in my righting rope above my head. Key is to have a loop at the bottom of your righting rope to hang off of with your harness hook. You'll figure out if it's too high or low.

Then just lean out and pull the bag up and balance the rope between your neck and shoulder. You'll have both hands free to make it easy if you are hanging from your harness. You have to keep lifting the bag a bit higher than you think because as the boat starts to come up it puts the water weight back in the lake. Make sure to keep the end of the bag tied off to something while ur filling it too. The current can pull it out of your hands pretty easy. I almost lost mine a few times. I'm 6'3 170 btw

Edited by tamumpower1 on Jun 15, 2017 - 11:37 PM.

Edited by tamumpower1 on Jun 15, 2017 - 11:36 PM.
  • When solo sailing,I use a shroud extender along with the Colorado Bag Co. big bag to right my Hobie 21SE without any problem. I also use a block and tackle system to lift this heavy bag out of the water. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Bill - do you use any system to insure your mast doesn't worm out during righting with your shroud extenders open?
  • MN3Bill - do you use any system to insure your mast doesn't worm out during righting with your shroud extenders open?

The H21 has a captive ball and socket mast step system. As long as he has the pin in, the mast will not pop out.

sm
  • cool

QuoteThe H21 has a captive ball and socket mast step system. As long as he has the pin in, the mast will not pop out.
  • I have not had any problem with my shroud extenders since buying my boat new in '89....I always retract and tighten my shroud once the boat has been righted.

I have only capsized maybe twice in the last decade....so I sail very carefully these days... icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • So if you get thrown off the boat how to you reach the shroud extender with the hull way up in the air? I could see pulling it before I jump down if I don't fall but otherwise it seems like it would be a problem
  • Matt,
    It is not easy to reach that Johnson Marine Quick Release Lever but necessary.I cling to the high wing seat during a capsize if I can or I quickly climb up there and pull the fast pin. Now the weight of that "high" hull stabilizes a bad situation preventing a turtle. Now chill up there for a moment and attach a short line to the shroud base and sent it over that high hull so I can attach my righting bag block system to it. Fill that big bag with water and use that blocks to right the boat. Once the boat is right , quickly retract that shroud and all is good.

I solo sail and need to be self sufficient.The 21SE is a big and very stable boat.

If I am sailing with crew, we simply use my big cat righting system.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • This discussion got me busy because I think I will be doing more solo sailing on the 5.2 than I used to do. I also don't have the lightning fast reflexes that I once had, so sorting out answers for a solo righting are going to be very real now.

I looked at Ed's setup and was impressed. Then I saw the bag shown on Ebay and went for it. The bag is well sewn and has a pair of cross straps and a stiff enough rope around the top rim to help hold it open when you are filling it, but not so stiff as to be an issue when storing it and it was a whopping $55. When it arrived I used some seam sealer I had to help it hold water long enough for me to dick around setting it up. Then I dug into my box of misc. stuff and came up with a 3 part block, found some line and an old carabiner. My righting line already has some loops on prussiks that can be slid up and down, so I am thinking I can just clip this doodad into the loop and haul away. So in theory, so far so good.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=126006&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128319&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128322&g2_serialNumber=4

And the whole thing set me back a total of $55 plus the stuff I already had laying around just waiting for this project.

Edited by dmgbear55 on Jul 08, 2017 - 06:11 PM.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Quoteso I am thinking I can just clip this doodad into the loop and haul away. So in theory, so far so good.

but how are you going to stow that scaffold on your catamaran?
  • That is just my folding anchor. It fits neatly in the pocket on the tramp.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55That is just my folding anchor. It fits neatly in the pocket on the tramp.

touche'
    I also used 1/2" flexible PVC to create a 'rim' to keep the bucket open and even float a little.

Note about these bags - they don't float (unless you add a float to them)

there is little time to fuss with the bag as your catamaran is righting above your head (and occasionally capsizing to the other side)

i recommend a nice stopper knot at the end of your rope - to avoid the bag and rope sliding out and away
  • Stopper knot is already there, but maybe adding a little bit of closed cell foam would help to float the whole thing. So you can at least see it drifting rapidly away from you when you drop the thing. icon_eek

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.