Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Referbing Hobie 18 Thread  Bottom

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 12 - 13 - 14:

• Just saw 5 people get a cat out of the surf for FL 300. I'm only wondering how much help I'll need getting out of the water. Saturday.. I'll know more.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • it's more technique than muscle

get the wheels dead on CG and secure them so they can't slip
    get on the bows or sterns and push uphill
    if you have a long beach, go wide and zig zag if not .. push harder

easy ( i do it every week, often solo)
  • Took muscle to get this up off the small grade beach. Also your technique of lashing the wheels to the xbeam kept wheels from slipping backwards as muscle pushed. Thanks for the tip as I worked hard to keep the extra hands interested in hanging in there. Quad wheels worked. Not sure if only one set would have done the trick.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…c/15587/start/0#pid56195

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I can't remember if I covered this or not but what lube are you using for main luff to help it glide to the top? I used some snow ski wax, just rubbing the hard wax on the rope. That seemed to help, but is there anything that would work better?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • ]http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/40-0401.jpg

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • Thanks for the tip.

Does it work. How about simply wetting the sail with water, as lube. Part that goes up the mast.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Sailkote is the best dry lube you can use. Spray on both sail luff, and mast sail track. Then spray every pulley, cam cleat, roller furling, mast base/ball, traveller track, and mainsheet blocks with this stuff. Keep going - trailer rollers, winch pulley, etc.
    I also use it on the trailer hitch & ball; I know that white lithium grease is suggested for the hitch ball lubrication, but it's messy, and gets on your legs & pants when youi brush against it.
    There is a lower cost teflon spray that I saw at Lowes last week, ~$4.75/ can ('Blaster' brand, same company that makes PB Blaster (for rusty bolts/nuts)). I don't know how it will hold up around water, or how else it compares to Sailkote, I hope someone else can report on that..
  • QuoteI also use it on the trailer hitch & ball;

Ok thanks. I put no grease on ball. You'll have to drive 5 million miles for that ball to wear. Saves messy cloths.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • You probably already know this from your Laser experience, but ensuring that the boat is pointed DIRECTLY into the wind so that the main flows straight back from the mast helps immensely. Keeping the sail in line with the sail track vastly reduces the drag of the bolt rope on the mast track. Also, hand feed the sail adjacent to each batten into the sail track.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • timinaustinYou probably already know this from your Laser experience, but ensuring that the boat is pointed DIRECTLY into the wind so that the main flows straight back from the mast helps immensely. Keeping the sail in line with the sail track vastly reduces the drag of the bolt rope on the mast track. Also, hand feed the sail adjacent to each batten into the sail track.

Thanks for the help guys!
    See THIRD SPLASH

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 12 - 13 - 14:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.