Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Referbing Hobie 18 Thread  Bottom

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... - 12 - 13 - 14 [+1]:

• OK, here's the pic of the fixed aft hull. Tighter than Bruce Jners yoga pants. The horse syringe was useful for the first few injections but then I resorted to pouring it in using the paper cups that had the rolled tops cut off. I wouldn't have been able to do that with plastic cups. It took several set ups to fill. As mentioned before the tape prior to drilling was not worth the effort. I'm not worried about looks as if I decided to do the hulls this will be wet sanded before painted. Who said epoxy won't stick to gelcoat... notice how it deepened the color...

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113702&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • what kind of epoxy?

what kind of filler used in epoxy (if any)?

did you prep the blue gelcoat (sand? anything?)

How spungy was the hull?

what are those marker outlines for (or whatever those shapes are that take up most of the surface)?

Edited by MN3 on May 05, 2015 - 03:38 PM.
  • Quotewhat kind of epoxy?

what kind of filler used in epoxy (if any)?

did you prep the blue gelcoat (sand? anything?)

How spungy was the hull?

what are those marker outlines for (or whatever those shapes are that take up most of the surface)?

I'd sand everything down to mostly level with hole tops as they are rough, 10 minutes, fill if needed then paint. Was a tad crunchy, yet spungy in the center about 2" wide strip the most recessed area that took most of the resin. The cool thing about this is that the repair will most likely outlast the boat... I wouldn't consider doing a complete hull top as this little section took nearly a pint. Just want a structurally sound hull with little attention to how it looks at the moment. Not sure the markers.... part of the design... not decal; not sure.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Righting Pole: I was going to use an oar but found them too expensive. I just happened to be in an military surplus and saw these fiberglass antenna tubes. I bought 2 for $6. Total cost is under $10 considering hardware. It won't float now but after I stuff them with noodle section I suspect it will float. I put an adjustable line on it that will attach to the righting line that is affixed underneath the hull. All I need to do is get the pole out and attach it to that line. I'm sure it will hold the weight but again: we'll see if it works. The cool thing about this is that you can break it down for storage. I plan on keeping it in two section while sailing then if I need it, just put it together to use it. I used Paulownia wood for the base, a wood that is light weight and won't degrade in salt water the same wood I'm using to build the Hawaiian outrigger. Parts strip planked and others stitch and glue..

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113699&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113694&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113690&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113686&g2_serialNumber=4

This pretty much concludes the amount of work I'm going to do on the boat as it is time now to go and sail it. I appreciate all the fine tips and encouragement along the way. This is a great site and you guys are fantastic!

I'll post here once I sail it to let know how I made out with the boat. Which if windfinder is telling the truth, it could be as early as tomorrow.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • It looks good! I liked the idea of attaching to the righting line, it's a good good improvement compared to rolling a line around the pole. Managing the line with bungee underneath the tramp, which is what I did, is pretty complicated too.
    I suggest to try it dry first, it's not hard to capsize the cat on the beach. I would check if the pole resists your weight. I broke an aluminum one the first time so on my current I have also a central line for more protection. it's probably not really needed but I preferred to avoid any risk. It seems a bit long, on the dry test you may find how much length yo really need (plus an extra for wet sails, etc.). I think that lateral movement of the pole could be an issue, if your adjustable line is too long it might not be stable enough. Why not just attaching righting the line directly to the pole? That would allow an attachment point not so far back on the pole and would improve its resistance. (you may walk even past the attachment point if necessary)
  • AndinistaIt looks good! I liked the idea of attaching to the righting line, it's a good good improvement compared to rolling a line around the pole. Managing the line with bungee underneath the tramp, which is what I did, is pretty complicated too.
    I suggest to try it dry first, it's not hard to capsize the cat on the beach. I would check if the pole resists your weight. I broke an aluminum one the first time so on my current I have also a central line for more protection. it's probably not really needed but I preferred to avoid any risk. It seems a bit long, on the dry test you may find how much length yo really need (plus an extra for wet sails, etc.). I think that lateral movement of the pole could be an issue, if your adjustable line is too long it might not be stable enough. Why not just attaching righting the line directly to the pole? That would allow an attachment point not so far back on the pole and would improve its resistance. (you may walk even past the attachment point if necessary, which wouldn't be possible with the adjustable line getting on your way)
  • AndinistaIt looks good! I liked the idea of attaching to the righting line, it's a good good improvement compared to rolling a line around the pole. Managing the line with bungee underneath the tramp, which is what I did, is pretty complicated too.
    I suggest to try it dry first, it's not hard to capsize the cat on the beach. I would check if the pole resists your weight. I broke an aluminum one the first time so on my current I have also a central line for more protection. it's probably not really needed but I preferred to avoid any risk. It seems a bit long, on the dry test you may find how much length yo really need (plus an extra for wet sails, etc.). I think that lateral movement of the pole could be an issue, if your adjustable line is too long it might not be stable enough. Why not just attaching righting the line directly to the pole? That would allow an attachment point not so far back on the pole and would improve its resistance. (you may walk even past the attachment point if necessary)

Good tips, yea I need to adjust when having the boat tilted the reason there's an adjustable knot on the line. I'm not sure having a sliding snap on the righting line would work but you'd find center pretty quick. I may just be able to lay the pole inside the righting line loop etc no knot or adjustment. Yes I could move the eye bolt further in but this pole is pretty strong. I'll start with max leverage then go from there. These are two 4 foot sections= eight feet.

I stuffed it with noodles tonight and now here it is in the pool floating. Glad I have a pool to test stuff... I've done a lot of work back here trying out all kinds of things... I like this as there is no float material on the outside... Pretty clean and lightweight.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113738&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by goodsailing on May 05, 2015 - 09:20 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • This is a far as I got so far. I've not sailed it yet. I found I need two sets of beech wheels to move the boat solo through the sand at my sailing spot. Much work doing this solo after 1.5 hour drive to beach getting the mast up, and pushing the boat to the water.. perhaps too much for me to handle myself... at this juncture I thought I'd just leave the wheels on the beach instead of carrying them back to the trailer.. if I ever get this boat wet.

icon_confused
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113757&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • If I recall, one of your first questions on this forum was whether or not a Hobie 18 was an appropriate boat for single handing. My response was that it is doable, but not ideal and that there are better boats out there if you primarily plan to solo sail. Now you are probably starting to understand why....

sm
  • For that kind of trailering, setup time and long way to the beach, why not just buy a Hobie 16 ect for solo days and take the 18 out when you've got crew? 400+ lbs going up hill on soft sand on wheels a good distance is still gonna wipe you out lol.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • removed

Edited by MN3 on May 13, 2015 - 12:42 PM.
  • I watched a kayak fisherman take his boat off the car and went out. As I was getting the boat on the trailer he came back in. Nice to get on the water. I realize this was going to be a project. I didn't go sailing as the winds picked up and there were T storms in the area. Plus I may have been somewhat intimated being a new boat to fly so all in all I'm satisfied. Also, I had offers to help push the boat so people were right saying that curious on lookers might offer help. I declined the help to see if I could do it myself which I did do, so.... I can now get it to the water and back to the the trailer. I now have a system that I'm sure I can reduce the set up time with a few runs. Next up is sailing the boat.... and I'm looking forward to doing that soon. I appreciate all the help thus far. You've been fantastic!
    OH, I've not got the boat out of the water yet so that's another hurdle especially if there's a few gallons in the hulls etc..

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Quotetake the 18 out when you've got crew?

I think it would be easy enough to get a crew around here... my adult kids might go if they can be peeled from their iphones and computers god forbid water could ruin electronics! HA

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteI had offers to help push the boat so people were right saying that curious on lookers might offer help. I declined the help to see if I could do it myself which I did do, so...

nice!

now don't be to shy or proud to accept offers or even ask someone to help pull your "safety" line (line tied to your forestay" while you step the mast

most small boaters want everyone to have a fun time and like to help
    esp other sailors

Edited by MN3 on May 13, 2015 - 03:28 PM.
  • MN3
    QuoteI had offers to help push the boat so people were right saying that curious on lookers might offer help. I declined the help to see if I could do it myself which I did do, so...

nice!

now don't be to shy or proud to accept offers or even ask someone to help pull your "safety" line (line tied to your forestay" while you step the mast

most small boaters want everyone to have a fun time and like to help
    esp other sailorsEdited by MN3 on May 13, 2015 - 03:28 PM.

Yea the last time I was here I helped a young man carry his kayak to the end of the ramp to his car and helped him put it on his roof. He said he'd help me if I needed. The last thing I heard was his car door shut and he drove off ... no thank you, no asking if he could help me. Then again, he wasn't a sailor but a fishing kayaker..

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteHe said he'd help me if I needed ...
    no thank you, no asking if he could help me. Then again, he wasn't a sailor but a fishing kayaker...

what more do you need?

I used to be very afraid of dropping my mast on someone on our very busy beach, and it stopped me from sailing a lot (i wouldn't rig solo)

If you speak up, (most) people are glad to help you get in the water. I am sure of this. many may act pissed, or gruff but don't let that stop you from sailing ... even if they act that way, they like being the "authority" and helping ... (been there, done that)

now that i have rigged over 1000 times there, i can tell you it's not a big deal to ask for help, and you should be willing to help other boaters ...

Edited by MN3 on May 13, 2015 - 06:17 PM.
  • Quotewhat more do you need?

From that guy, some courtesy perhaps. There will be plenty of people there in no time. I'm not afraid to ask for help, but around here, there's usually no one around when it's cooler and the wind is blowing, the reason I need to be able to do this solo. The state police and coast guard are on the park grounds so if I run into a real problem I suspect I could find plenty of help if needed. Getting the boat to the water is no problem... I'll learn soon what it is like getting it out of the water back to the car.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteFrom that guy, some courtesy perhaps

good luck with that....

(IMHO)
    the guy offers to help you if you need it - that is the moment you should focus on and say "thanks I may ...", not when he leaves without saying goodbye - seize the moment (i am really not telling you how to live your life, just how to help you or others with my experiences)

If you walk up to me when i am in a bad mood, or have been distracted by other people asking me questions and messing me up while rigging, or i am just back from a sail and broke or lost something, or was cut off by powerboaters, or a bird just pooped on my head ... your gonna get some attitude from me ....

walk up to me when everthing is going smoothly and your likely to get a nicer version of me .... nothing personal but rigging/boating is very intense, dangerous and hard work .. i don't have my "best attitude" on auto-smile

EITHER way, i am more than happy to help someone step their mast, or push their boat up the beach .... i just may or may not smile.

try not to take things personally or be sensitive - boating can be the best of times, or the worst day ever (all depending on how smoothly things go) - and you never know what kinda day (or trials and tribulations) the other person has just had

again most small boaters want to see you succeed, and are happy to help, even if they don't look like it (except powerboaters and jetskis - they want to run over you at full speed )

Edited by MN3 on May 14, 2015 - 10:05 AM.
  • Quotegood luck with that....

the guy offers to help you if you need it - that is the moment you should focus on, not when he leaves without kissing you goodbye

If you walk up to me when i am in a bad mood, or have been distracted by other people asking me questions and messing me up while rigging, your gonna get some attitude from me ....

walk up to me when everthing is going smoothly and your likely to get a nicer version of me ....

EITHER way, i am more than happy to help someone step their mast, or push their boat up the beach .... i just may or may not smile.

try not to take things personally or be sensitive - boating can be the best of times, or the worst day ever (all depending on how smoothly things go) - and you never know what kinda day (or trials and tribulations) the other person has just had

I didn't think much of it really... he probably didn't get any fish. The guys in RI who were fixing their moths didn't even acknowledge my presence when I approached them while they were rigging their boats, and even after asking one question about the boat.
    So what, As we've learned getting a boat ready quickly is on most peoples minds when the day wears on. I would not want to rig a moth, let alone try to get up on one.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteThe guys in RI who were fixing their moths didn't even acknowledge my presence when I approached them while they were rigging their boats

during a race, or with very expensive and fragile boats, you wont get much help and may be completely ignored

just like yesterday when the JC sailed in from Miami and was instantly on camera for a few questions ... he completely ignored the questions and focused on his $50,000 catamaran

QuoteI would not want to rig a moth, let alone try to get up on one.

my 31' mast is a beast ...
    my big cat can be almost 2 hours (or my 5.5 if i am rigging a spin)

Edited by MN3 on May 14, 2015 - 10:56 AM.

Go to page [-10 -1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... - 12 - 13 - 14 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.