• We just registered, F16

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • We got a great start, 18 boats in the 1st 3 days, still looking for more, if your planning on coming, get registered, help us plan for everyone and keep building the fleets!!

Edited by Robbie on May 05, 2014 - 06:13 AM.

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • Damon has a great idea.... If you're going and use Facebook, share the event. Otherwise inform sailors in your area that you know to try to go. If its a financial issue there are rooms available on the cheap within 5 miles of the club for ~$65. You know you're going to bed late and waking up early so its a wash icon_lol

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • DamonLinkous

Rob and Robbie, we need Joe to make a statement about how this "b" fleet will be run. I think there is some confusion between the "novice" fleet and the official "non-spin A" and "non-spin B" which are based on handicap numbers.

Hey, Joe...where you goin' with that gun in your......OOPS!

Hey, Joe...unless I missed it, there's nothing in the NOR regarding five boats making a class or whether A/B means experienced/novice or high/low portsmouth. However, Regatta Network only gives 4 options....A/B in spin or non. I know you guys will have it all figured out for the competitors meeting, depending on the registrants. However, the current registration list looks kind of goofy, and folks who are coming from a long way off and/or for the first time might want to know a little more about the plan before registering, etc.

Just a suggestion....I'm in wherever y'all put me!

Edited by rattlenhum on May 07, 2014 - 12:27 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Jerome and the everyone,

I am attempting to shake up the way we score our regatta. I want new/less experienced sailors a chance at immortality and hardware on their mantle. The NOR stated 3 trophies, I changed it to include 5 trophies in each class. There is nothing in the NOR defining a # for a particular one design class. Here is the plan for the trophies at the Slip to Ship:
    4 classes
    1. A fleet - 1,2,3,4,5
    2. B fleet - 1,2,3,4,5
    3. A fleet:Spinnaker Class - 1,2,3,4,5
    4. B fleet: Spinnaker Class - 1,2,3,4,5

Round Deer Island - Overall Winner with corrected time

YOU(the sailor) decide which fleet you are in, A or B. It is based on experienced vs. novice and you are the judge. However if Andy Humphries signs up for the B fleet, he will be shamed into the A fleet. Is this fool proof? No. In 2015, if you win the B fleet in 2014, you are out of the B and into the A! Congratulations!!!

IF your class can generate XX boats, I will honor that commitment and score your fleet independent but parallel with the trophy classes. The winner of any designated one design fleet meeting this criteria will win a POUND of WORLD CLASS PULLED PORK BBQ! You can win both a trophy and some of the OSYC butt.

I hope this generates MORE excitement and interest in participating. However, Jerome, you know as well as I that the last boats to Ship Island eat the dregs of the chicken bucket so Sail Well My Friend, Sail Well.

Let the flames begin!

Joe the FC
    Ocean Springs Yacht Club
  • So trophys are only awarded on handicap?

Well that's disappointing news. I don't think I would have initially signed up to drive 500 miles to race handicap, especially when fleet numbers exist. I don't think that's going to help my friends who are on the fence as well.

It seems it would have made so much more sense to handicap the entire B fleet, and the assemble as many fleets as you can from the A guys. We are all big boys and girls, we don't need participation trophys. I think the last thing any one wants to hear is that they were the fastest F18 but 2 guys on modified I20s with unmodified ratings corrected over them.

Edited by bacho on May 08, 2014 - 08:45 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I didn't buy an F18 to sail handicap.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I've only been sailing a few years so I could be wrong but it sounds like you guys are waaaay too uptight about the minute racing details. I thought it was all about the go easy lifestyle? There's cold beer and hot food ! Let's just have some fun :0)

******** can they not have a separate F class race with their own prizes to make everyone happy? *****

• I agree with you Ron...it took us 10 years to build a F18 fleet icon_confused

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • FWIW......I did not mean to start a sh%!storm, but I thought it important for folks to know the plan upfront, rather than be surprised at the competitors' meeting. There were a lot of posts going up based on assumptions that didn't seem to jive with the NOR.

I'm good either way (except I have some lip to give to a couple of the guys who are currently in Non-Spin B!). There were many times in the past when we had 6+ Hobie 16s and were not given a separate fleet.

Tim, my friend, racing (like sailing) means different things to different people, and this race has typically provided a lot of fun for all and good competition for those so inclined. It's fine that you have an easy approach to this stuff, and I really appreciate your enthusiasm, but it IS a race. Things like who you're racing against and how the scoring will be done are not minute details, and not all of us who care about such things are "uptight."

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • fxloopI've only been sailing a few years so I could be wrong...

but it sounds like you guys are waaaay too uptight about the minute racing details.

Tim, different strokes. Most regattas have sailors with a whole range of reasons for participating. Everyone want to have a good time but it only makes sense that the ones that have committed to a hot racing class want to race.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • rattlenhumI'm good either way (except I have some lip to give to a couple of the guys who are currently in Non-Spin B!).

icon_biggrin I'm registered in non-spin B because there was no explanation on the Regatta Network site on how the fleets were grouped. I've been to about 15 Slip to Ship's in a row and the division between A and B was always based on an arbitrary Portsmouth number, chosen to more or less divide the number of boats evenly.

Since the Hobie 18 tends to fall right on the dividing line sometimes I get put in A and sometimes in B, depending on if they choose 71 or 72 for the cut-off. If I have my choice I'd rather sail with the slower half since the faster group includes boats that are MUCH faster. But I always understand that the race organizers will ultimately put me where they think is best for the regatta.

I have no problem with the idea of A and B fleets based on ability or experience but it needed WAY more advanced notice and explanation. Anything that upsets a group of potential entries is going to be bad for the health of a regatta. Entries are hard to come by (see cancellation of Spring Fever) and should be treated like gold.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    rattlenhumI'm good either way (except I have some lip to give to a couple of the guys who are currently in Non-Spin B!).

icon_biggrin I'm registered in non-spin B because there was no explanation on the Regatta Network site on how the fleets were grouped. I've been to about 15 Slip to Ship's in a row and the division between A and B was always based on an arbitrary Portsmouth number, chosen to more or less divide the number of boats evenly.

Since the Hobie 18 tends to fall right on the dividing line sometimes I get put in A and sometimes in B, depending on if they choose 71 or 72 for the cut-off. If I have my choice I'd rather sail with the slower half since the faster group includes boats that are MUCH faster. But I always understand that the race organizers will ultimately put me where they think is best for the regatta.

I have no problem with the idea of A and B fleets based on ability or experience but it needed WAY more advanced notice and explanation. Anything that upsets a group of potential entries is going to be bad for the health of a regatta. Entries are hard to come by (see cancellation of Spring Fever) and should be treated like gold.

I agree completely, Damon, and, like you, I was just seeking clarification for all....especially those who are travelling long distances. The B-Fleet comment was tongue-in-cheek (should have used an emoticon, I guess).....I knew folks were entering there thinking that it meant high portsmouth. And you weren't one I had in mind to hassle, anyway....you're like "unhassleable"....I love you. man!
    icon_smile

Edited by rattlenhum on May 08, 2014 - 01:15 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Jerome,

Thanks for bringing it up. It certainly is a pretty big detail. I'll be honest and say that I mostly do not read the NOR and my assumptions were based from what is "normal" and comments from veterans. If this race is usually handicap only then I missed that big detail. I certainly would have been upset to figure that out in the skippers meeting.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I've got a new tramp, never sailed with it, I'm thinking I should get a few points, for a higher rating, against the other F18's icon_lol ........I usually need them anyway icon_cool

Edited by Robbie on May 08, 2014 - 04:28 PM.

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • Bacho,

Get those fence sitters down here, we'll get them a good competitive class, and they will have a blast!!

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • bachoJerome,

Thanks for bringing it up. It certainly is a pretty big detail. I'll be honest and say that I mostly do not read the NOR and my assumptions were based from what is "normal" and comments from veterans. If this race is usually handicap only then I missed that big detail. I certainly would have been upset to figure that out in the skippers meeting.

The scoring has varied some over the 15 years or so that I've attended this one.......depending on who was running it and how many/which boats were there. Some things that haven't changed.....a lot of good folks working hard to take care of the racers, a great sailing venue, great food, tons of fun, and good times hanging with fellow sailors. You will have some good competition, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I hope that when your friends get off the fence that they do so on the south side.....looking forward to meeting you guys that haven't made it down before.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Bacho...Jerome is right. Let's not get caught up in the fleet placement and focus on the event which will be EPIC! Glad you're coming and bring your friends. This regatta is second to none...you will want to come back every year. See ya on the water!

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • I LOVE THE PASSION!!!!!
    I once wrote an essay on "why i love to sail". Only the sailors get it. We have a passion for this sport. There is something about it that makes us drive 12+ hours only to get rained out but as long as we are with others that did the same crazy drive somehow it makes it worth it. It may take a few tries but eventually the winds will grant us 10-15 kts of 80 deg wind that is perfect. We will eat it up! We'll talk about the perfect race for 50, no 60 years (see Jim Gates) and go to whatever length it takes just to feel that one again. I RESPECT that.

Please, don't worry, The F18s and the H16s will have THEIR OWN CLASS. Already you have signed up and shown that you are organizations which deserve the respect of Class Distinction.

If you have no other regatta to attend this year please consider the Slip to Ship. 2014 saw the passing of a Giant in our sport. Hobie Alter will be honored by your presence and will be commemorated with the respect deserving of the Father of our craft.

Joe the FC of the OSYC

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.