Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ship to slip 2014  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• +1 on the "B" fleet. Only been on my 20 twice. Is there a box to check when the NOR is released? Looks like there's gonna be a lot of boats and getting everyone in close proximity for a mass starting line sounds a little scary.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I'll race B fleet as well, I've only used my new spin sheet once.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • timscottyoungI spoke to Damon about this race while picking his brain about righting my H18 solo. He mentioned an upwind leg and a downwind leg. So... Do you NEED a spinnaker to be a contender? Sounds like it to me. I don't have one and even worse, wouldn't know how to use it if I did! icon_eek

I'm thinking that a well driven spin boat could reach the island, 3 maybe 4 beers ahead of you which should level the playing field for the trip home.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • bachoI'll race B fleet as well, I've only used my new spin sheet once.

Me too, I've got new sails I haven't learned how to operate. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damn, I knew this was coming. There's gonna be 30 guys in "B" class that have barely sailed a boat and 5 or 6 guys in "A" class on $15k boats that have only sailed "a few" times icon_lol

Edited by fxloop on Apr 24, 2014 - 06:35 AM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    bachoI'll race B fleet as well, I've only used my new spin sheet once.

Me too, I've got new sails I haven't learned how to operate. icon_cool

Now that you say that my mainsail is nearly 3 years old, i'm really thinking I might move down to the C fleet.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • OK, just so all newbies young and old (and I hope there are a lot of them) understand. All this joking around about A, B, and C fleets based on abilities is just an "inside" joke about the old days of Hobie Fleet Regattas. When everyone raced one-design.

Back in the day when new sailors joined the fleet it wouldn't be that fun for the newbies or the top guys for the newbies to start in a fleet of 60 or more identical Hobie 16's where the only difference in the boats was the ability of the crew.

So to encourage new boats to race the boats were divided into three starts A, B, and occasionally C (total beginners) fleet, each fleet receiving it's own start and trophies. You were only supposed to stay in the lower fleets until you did well enough to trophy and then got "promoted".

Since being "promoted" from winning in B fleet to sucking ass in A fleet didn't sit well with some folks there was some sandbagging to continue sailing in B fleet.

Handicap racing like there will be at Slip To Ship and most regattas today is totally different in that boats are grouped into fleet by (historic) ability of the BOAT and not the crew. These fleets (groups of similar boats) can be called anything.

At the popular Juana Good Time Regatta in Navarre Beach they refer to the three main fleets as X, Y, and Z.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102763&g2_serialNumber=3

At Slip to Ship they usually list the fleets by straight forward descriptions like

OPEN CLASS FLEETS (any brand and model)
    Spinnaker (high tech boats) note: could be two open class spin fleets if enough boats
    non-spin low Portsmouth (no spinnaker and handicap number lower than 70)
    non-spin high Porstmouth (no spinnaker and handicap number 70 and over)
    Portsmouth Handicap Numbers

ONE DESIGN FLEETS (specific brand and model)

Then if enough boats show up to "form a fleet" of five or more one-design boats they will allow them to race as a fleet. These days that is usually only the Hobie 16's but it could be any design that has five boats and the sailors agree that the boats are "one-design".

Hope this helps clear some things up, I know we have a LOT of new catamaran sailors (THAT'S AWESOME!) and also a lot of beachcat sailors who last sailed a regatta back in the Hobie Fleet days and don't know how it's done now.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • It's time to register. Here's the NOR and sordid details.
    http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/8415#_home

see you on the coast!!
  • so will A and B fleets start at different times?
    i would like to get a look at the fast boats as they pass me .

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --
  • Yes, normally the slowest class starts first and fastest class starts last.

Edited by nacra55 on Apr 30, 2014 - 08:44 PM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Registered. See you guys there!⛵️⛵️⛵️⛵️

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • We are registered.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • NOR is posted!

https://www.regattanetwor…form.php?regatta_id=8415

Thanks to our awesome Fleet Capt Joe this WILL be a great event...

Let's bust the 50 boat mark! Most in recent history was 47!! Bring your friends... lots of on the water support... easy race... fun destination!

If you can't make it.... plan for the race to Horn Island over 4th of July weekend! Same venue, different destination!
  • Get to the site, get registered, early registration helps OSYC better plan the event (and you save a few $$$), Hoping to get all the boats we can, Great Sailing on the Miss. Sound, and even better fun on the beach with fellow sailors!!!

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • Question, what happens if we have 3 F18s in A fleet and 2 in B? Are they all placed in an F18 fleet or did we fail to make an F18 fleet?

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • bachoQuestion, what happens if we have 3 F18s in A fleet and 2 in B? Are they all placed in an F18 fleet or did we fail to make an F18 fleet?

I don't think that is a concern for the F18's, there may be 1 or 2 that think their B Fleet but we should still have 6-8 boats even if 2 are in B. Kenny and Andy have yet to register neither are B fleet.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I was just using the F18 boats as an example. The issue could come up in several classes. As curious as to how it might be dealt with.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Bacho, that questioned has been asked and I am spreading the word in all the places I can, to get all the F18's we can, but we should have our own fleet!!! If you know of any your way, let them know planning an F18 fleet, and the sailing is worth the trip!!

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • Just registered! Everyone go ahead and get on the list. You help the club by giving them advance knowledge of paid attendance and you help yourself by reducing your stress level the morning of the regatta since you are already registered and paid.

Looks like they will have some nice long sleeve dry-shirts this year instead of another cotton t-shirt. Those things are expensive so register early and buy extra an extra shirt for your crew to make sure you get one!

Rob and Robbie, we need Joe to make a statement about how this "b" fleet will be run. I think there is some confusion between the "novice" fleet and the official "non-spin A" and "non-spin B" which are based on handicap numbers.

I'm assuming that there would be ONE novice fleet for absolute racing beginners that would cover all classes. These novices would then still compete with each other on a Portsmouth handicap basis.

In the case of a four boat fleet where there is a potential fifth boat in the novice fleet it would be up to the fleet members to "recruit" the novice to race with them instead of in the novice fleet.

The whole thing is simply to have more people have more fun, so don't stress too much.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Here is the Regatta Network home page for Slip to Ship where the list of registrants, NOR, and registration form can be found.

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/8415#_home

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.