Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ship to slip 2014  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• For those of us who have never been, what's the camping situation? Motor home friendly?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Very few people camp any more. There is some room but limited. No hookups. Sprinkler system in grassy area. Hopefully Rob will reply to this.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Camping there would be very nice although space is extremely limited. There's good hot showers outside downstairs and great food and drink upstairs. I've been looking into hotel rates for that weekend too. Since it's a Holliday weekend nearby hotels charge full retail ( $150 a night + for a two star nearby- travel lodge ) and some are completely booked up already. I'm thinking about renting a 3br, 3ba house close to the club and splitting the cost with a couple other sailors. Works out to about $80 a night for very, very nice accommodations.
    Tim

Edited by fxloop on Apr 19, 2014 - 11:04 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • We can support 5 RVs and lots of tents. If you contact me, I'll register your camper as one of the five. We charge $50 for the weekend. There is "no power" (limited 110), talk to me when you get there. Tents are free by the way.
    There are bathrooms and showers available. 24/7
    Hot Breakfast included for all the sailors! The best breakfast of ANY regatta.
    Beverages and fried chicken at the island - you know the drill! Good times.

See you in May!
    Joe Pocreva
    Fleet captain
    OSYC
    fleetcaptain@osyc.com
  • Oh yeah - this is the race not to miss!

A hot fast drag race to the island.... it's not very technical with tacks and marks and all that fuss..... just point to the island, and go as fast as you can.

Sailing down the channel between Deer Island and the Hard Rock Cafe... Watch how the water gets clearer and clearer... soon you're at the island like a dream... there's cold beer, hot chicken, lot of folks to mingle with, enjoy the water, swim... take a nap.

When the cats get restless chillin on the island we gaggle up on the water and race back to the club. Dry land, hot shower, cold drink all adds up to a very fun day. Sunday is a sail around Deer Island.

I always like to pimp this video for folks... Thanks Overstreet Bros! Don't miss the first FEW SECONDS to see the boat and trailer access space!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuir_W8y2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqHu7t4cK4

Registration link up soon!
  • This sounds like a great event!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • NOR?

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I'm doing an experiment to see if Facebook Events can help regatta attendance.

If you "do facebook" please go to
    http://osyc.com/index.php…Content&func=view&pid=22

and use the "Going" tab to state whether you will be going or not, say "not going" even if there was never a chance you might go because of too far away etc. Then use the "Invite" tab to invite all your sailing friends so we can get a little viral action going.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon, you forget. Most of the sailors have no idea what Facebook is other than it's what their grand kids talk about all the time icon_lol

I keeeeeed I keeeeeed

All kidding aside, i think that is a great idea. We should all take video footage and make a bunch of 3-8 min video clips of these regattas showing how fun they are and post them to OSYC ( or wherever the fun regattas are ) to entice people to get into beachcat sailing icon_biggrin

Edited by fxloop on Apr 21, 2014 - 06:30 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I would love to do this regatta.
    It sounds like my kind of event.
    I just mapped it out:
    1700 miles one way, 24 hours of driving.
    264.00 in fuel.
    This trip will take some advance planning.
    Might have to combine it with another road trip, like a visit to Schlitterbahn.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • just a touch of vids from recent years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuir_W8y2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdqHu7t4cK4

NOR coming soon... next Sailing Squad meeting is TOMORROW! NOR SOON!
  • in addition to camping onsite...there is a HUGE empty lot across the street...

Well WELL shaded...out of the sun and wind... and if you're here for the regatta I bet you could hide there and camp for a bit....

when small storms come we evac the boats to that lot....

when big storms come we get them much further inland...

but you didn't hear it from me... and it's NOT on OSYC grounds, so at your own risk.

Edited by robpatt on Apr 22, 2014 - 02:36 PM.
  • I spoke to Damon about this race while picking his brain about righting my H18 solo. He mentioned an upwind leg and a downwind leg. So... Do you NEED a spinnaker to be a contender? Sounds like it to me. I don't have one and even worse, wouldn't know how to use it if I did! icon_eek

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • timscottyoungDo you NEED a spinnaker to be a contender? Sounds like it to me. I don't have one and even worse, wouldn't know how to use it if I did! icon_eek

No spin needed. The fleet (all boats registered to race) will be divided into classes. The classes are normally H16, F18, N20 or Open 20, open spin, open high and open low. Could also be a 18HT fleet. Five like boats make a class. Get your H18 buddies to come and get your own class if you have 5 or more or sail in one of the non spin open classes.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • [/quote]

, open high and open low. Could also be a 18HT fleet. Five like boats make a class. Get your H18 buddies to come and get your own class if you have 5 or more or sail in one of the non spin open classes.[/quote]

what does open high and open low mean , i have have a main and a jib i am sailing regardless

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --
  • southronspiritwhat does open high and open low mean , i have have a main and a jib i am sailing regardless

Open Low or A would be non spin low Portsmouth numbers like N60, N58, H20, P19, N55

Open High or B would be non spin high Portsmouth numbers like P16, N50, N5.2, H18 N570

Open Spin would be Spin boats that don't have their own class

Here's a link to the Portsmouth numbers http://offshore.ussailing…es/Multihull_Classes.htm

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • for this race, upwind leg means going to the island....
    downwind leg means coming back...
  • robpattfor this race, upwind leg means going to the island....
    downwind leg means coming back...

Unless one is discussing the chicken legs being devoured on the island in which case the upwind leg is above the sand and the downwind leg is above the water. No spin required to eat chicken legs either place.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Sounds like lots of new sailors coming to this regatta.

Here's some reading material. Rights of way and starting sequence are important.

http://www.sailing.org/to…0132016Final-[13376].pdf

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Awesome link!
    But newbees needn't stress too much... we will do what needs to be done... IF there's enough folks for a "B" (as in beginners) fleet, we'll gladly do so, and those folks could have their own start...

I'll be a "B" fleet racer this year maybe as I figure out the new boat... first time rigging the spin will be this Friday... first sail w/it this weekend! YEAH

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.