Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 580?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I'm far from first class, and I don't know if the accessibility of the main or the inaccessibility of a large jib is more significant. I've got very little tiller time on an H18, so I can't really comment other than to say it's seemed to be a powerful and fast reaching boat. And a tank...except when an '86 snaps in half in the gulf and sends its crew swimming when prepping for the Dash last year.

Someone will probably disagree with me here, but if sails were engines, I'd equate the large overlapping jibs to a secondary engine, and the handkerchief jibs of modern boats more to a turbocharger.

The mains are also higher aspect (ie faster) yet easier to stall.

Again, just MHO FWIW.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleI'm far from first class, and I don't know if the accessibility of the main or the inaccessibility of a large jib is more significant. I've got very little tiller time on an H18, so I can't really comment other than to say it's seemed to be a powerful and fast reaching boat. And a tank...except when an '86 snaps in half in the gulf and sends its crew swimming when prepping for the Dash last year.

Someone will probably disagree with me here, but if sails were engines, I'd equate the large overlapping jibs to a secondary engine, and the handkerchief jibs of modern boats more to a turbocharger.

The mains are also higher aspect (ie faster) yet easier to stall.

Again, just MHO FWIW.

It's worth plenty and I sincerely appreciate your input.

I do love my 1982 tank. Keeping the deck on and bonded to the hull is the difference that I hold at the top of the list. I think I have a basic plan now that will get another boat going, crewed by my sons. That should get immediate help available for my hassle of dumping the 18 as a solo. It will also be on like Donkey Kong between me and the numb nutses, so I'll have a built in race, be it a seriously non sanctioned, non skilled event. Hold the snickers, but I think something like a good old Hobie 16, given to the boys, will cure the immediate needs. I'll be on the hunt for an F something or other high performance boat in the mean time. The Javelin has me horny. After looking at that design, at the recco of Damon, I am so far quite impressed.

G

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • an A Cat.. With a fat boy.. Ouch. Haulen A** Just sayen. A fat boy on the wire is not like one underground in the coals>> Hott A** is diferent haullen A**.. H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Excellent information, thanks for getting it out here for us.. I have many of the same considerations/questions.
    I am looking at the 5.8NA, F17s and F18s. Hope to get on an F17 this weekend. There is a great bunch of sailors with F18s operating in Michigan.
    It looks to me like seat of the pants time is the next important guide.
    Thanks for sharing.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • Hey if you are looking for a 5.8 there are 2 for sail on my beach. One is listed here http://www.thebeachcats.c…iler26amp-3b-wheels.html. That 5.8 is super clean. Like I'd buy it if I didn't have the Inter-18. The beach/boat is in Wilmette, IL (just N of Chicago). There is also a Nacra F-18 (pointy bow) for sale. If you were serious, you could show up before the end of October and we could get you out on a few different boats. Bring a drysuit and a harness though. Cold nights coming and that means cold water.

Edited by nhanson on Aug 29, 2012 - 12:16 AM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • nhansonHey if you are looking for a 5.8 there are 2 for sail on my beach. One is listed here http://www.thebeachcats.c…iler26amp-3b-wheels.html. That 5.8 is super clean. Like I'd buy it if I didn't have the Inter-18. The beach/boat is in Wilmette, IL (just N of Chicago). There is also a Nacra F-18 (pointy bow) for sale. If you were serious, you could show up before the end of October and we could get you out on a few different boats. Bring a drysuit and a harness though. Cold nights coming and that means cold water.Edited by nhanson on Aug 29, 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Those knobs in your avatar look JUST like Marshall knobs!

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • Hanson,
    Thanks. I appreciate the offer and will see where I am in Oct.
    I've been watching and reseaching the 5.8 and it is in contention but about 3rd on the list as I rearrange priorties. The F18 in Milwaukee looks interesting. Looking at and hoping to mooch a ride on an F17 if Izaac stays away Saturday. Trying to get to Erie, PA to look at the F17 there.
    Work is getting in the way of this highly classifed research, not enough weekend.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    astglennCan I assume that the Hobie FX 1 would be in the "adaptable" 17 footers that will still get it on as a single crew boat?

The Hobie FX One is designed to be a single-handed racing boat, doesn't mean it can't carry two, but it's an actual single hander. With Spin.

There aren't very many of them in the USA.

The first spin boat I ever raced was a FX One. They are rare. I've never seen two on the same course. In fact, I haven't seen one since I delivered one to Lee in Texas back in 2008.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Glen, Just saw your post. I have had many of the boats you are discussing. I owned the 580, N17 sloop, and now the 570. Years ago, it all started with a H17, then a H18sx.
    So, the 580 is a beautiful sailing boat with the convenience of centerboards. It is powerful, fast and rides like a lincoln town car. Slices through the waves. The 17sloop, well, I bought it to sail with two. Don't do it. Handles like crap with wind and waves! Calm and flat seas, maybe. Of coarse with one - it is fantastic! The 570, which has cosmetic and functional updates of the 5.7. Also a fantastic sailing boat. Lots of power, Very bouant and forgiving. Gives up a little power to the 580, but, you can sail it solo if need be. Easier on the beach (360 vs. 420lbs) and slightly shorter mast. No boards or boom to worry about. Wont point as high as an F18 - I don't care though. Both can handle tons of weight. If you want a hot rod recreational boat, the 570 is it. Compared to the H18, the 570 is a more modern design, and also handles more weight - tall skeg hulls. MG
  • Thank's Tangledsail. Great info here from someone with seat time in all of them.

May I ask if you have had any time in the earlier iteration of the 580. '82 5.8 by chance?

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • Hey Glenn, I have crewed on a 5.8 a couple times. It was newer than '82, but still several years old. It was a robust boat. Well built. Compared to my 580, it would be a handful. More race tuned and more controls. 580 was so powerful, but more recreational. Not as twitchy at the helm as the 5.8 or the 17. Very foregiving also. I don't think i would enjoy sailing solo on the 5.8 or the 580 due to the power and sheer size. 570 has been great for me. compared to the 580, it is a little smaller, lighter & manageable. But, plenty of boat in every respect. You could also consider the N500. Just a 16 foot version of my 570. Has plenty of bouyancy for two people.
  • astglennThose knobs in your avatar look JUST like Marshall knobs!

Yeah, but do they go to eleven???

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • tangledsailHey Glenn, I have crewed on a 5.8 a couple times. It was newer than '82, but still several years old. It was a robust boat. Well built. Compared to my 580, it would be a handful. More race tuned and more controls. 580 was so powerful, but more recreational. Not as twitchy at the helm as the 5.8 or the 17. Very foregiving also. I don't think i would enjoy sailing solo on the 5.8 or the 580 due to the power and sheer size. 570 has been great for me. compared to the 580, it is a little smaller, lighter & manageable. But, plenty of boat in every respect. You could also consider the N500. Just a 16 foot version of my 570. Has plenty of bouyancy for two people.

Thanks Tangle. This is exactly the insight that helps me. I tell ya. There are so many excellent boats out there at reasonable cost, that it almost makes it too good. I have been hovering around the idea of either really going for it and finding a carbon masted Javelin or A cat platform, or going the other direction which leads me to the Nacra 580, or the boat I have become seriously lustful about recently, the Prindle 18-2. My H-18 is making a very forgiving boat that I am learning when and where to push the edge as a single hand.

I fully admit to not knowing much about sailing in general and less about cats specifically. I am learning and having a blast. I found another H-16 (79) that we are vaccu injecting soft spots this weekend.

I am like a frikin weasel on a triple espresso here. My back yard looks like a used Hobie dealership![imghttp://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/astglenn/photo23.jpg][/img]

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • klozhald
    astglennThose knobs in your avatar look JUST like Marshall knobs!

Yeah, but do they go to eleven???

Spinal Tap! That was the classic bit that will never die. So funny.

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • astglennSpinal Tap! That was the classic bit that will never die. So funny.

icon_cool

astglenn...I have become seriously lustful about recently, the Prindle 18-2.

Arr, the Two is a lusty lass herself- Tornado shaped hulls without those pesky gunwales lets her slice through the waves like a hot cutlass thru butter!

(normal voice...) Bullet proof Prindle construction and design. We sailed her with my son and his friend the other day in 15 kts gusting to 20 and we were flying a hull with 500+ lbs of meat on the rail. We put the friend on lee side for a bit and he was trapped between the two walls of water coming up on either side of the lee hull. We could hear him screaming but couldn't quite understand the words... so we kept sailing.

I have been sailing my '87 P18-2 since I bought it new, and have single-handed it a few times. A friend in CA, Bob Martinez, regularly single hands his Two in the open ocean out past Anacapa Island. So it's a versitile cat.

The deck is a little cluttered forward with the true four-way jib block rig and a Barber Hauler, and I have kept them because they work. The relationship between the jib and main is powerful and critical on this cat, and I like being able to dial in the jib. I have marked every line on the cat so that I can tell how it is set from the trapeze. When you are out on the wire, the deck clutter doesn't matter.

I am collecting data on the Two in the Photo section:
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=88542
    Feel free to take a peek.
    Sheet In!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • astglenn,
    This is Bob Martinez singlehanding his Two out past Anacapa Island, CA.
    At this point he is about 8 miles offshore and headed west.
    Looks comfortable, doesn't he?
    I think this was taken during Frenchy's Rum Run, an out-and-back beam(ish) reach.
    30 miles of racing with one tack (or is it a gybe?).
    About halfway to Frenchy's beach the sea floor drops to 750 feet, so the whales like to cruise through the warmer water often enough that the whale watching boats from Santa Barbara come here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=89684&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by klozhald on Sep 14, 2012 - 09:40 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I would buy one just to sail with you guys. You sound all kinds of fun. I have never heard a bad thing about the 18-2. It would seem that in the world of boats, where one just aint ever enough, the grass is always greener and compromise abounds, the 18-2 seems to be the boat with the widest following of loyalists that aint on Prozac. Let me temper that by saying " a boat of that class" Since I have no class, I am chasing a Javelin to see about possibly of trying that platform. Gets me down to one sail and a light mast.

Lisa said "Over her dead body" As luck would have it, she choked on a lolipop,.. tomorrow!

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • astglennLisa said "Over her dead body" As luck would have it, she choked on a lolipop,.. tomorrow!

Help an old lady across the street today.
    After this comment, you need all the good karma you can get!
    :)

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • astglenn,
    The Bimare Javelin?
    Overall the boat is light, but the masts are really long.
    The Javelin 16 has a nearly 30 foot mast with spreaders.
    Even though its carbon, its still three stories long, and pre-loaded with halyards and blocks galore.

• length: 4.95 m
    • beam: 2.30 m
    • Total sail area: 25 m2
    • maximum draft: 0,95 m
    • minimum draft: 0,17 m
    • Mast length: 9,0 m
    • weight: 100 kg

One of the local guys has a Bimare 18HT.
    He used to own a P 19, and says the HT is a rocket.
    If you get the 16, we wanna see pictures from your helmet-mounted GoPro!

Edited by klozhald on Sep 17, 2012 - 10:12 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldastglenn,
    The Bimare Javelin?
    Overall the boat is light, but the masts are really long.
    The Javelin 16 has a nearly 30 foot mast with spreaders.
    Even though its carbon, its still three stories long, and pre-loaded with halyards and blocks galore.

• length: 4.95 m
    • beam: 2.30 m
    • Total sail area: 25 m2
    • maximum draft: 0,95 m
    • minimum draft: 0,17 m
    • Mast length: 9,0 m
    • weight: 100 kg

One of the local guys has a Bimare 18HT.
    He used to own a P 19, and says the HT is a rocket.
    If you get the 16, we wanna see pictures from your helmet-mounted GoPro!Edited by klozhald on Sep 17, 2012 - 10:12 AM.

It is the 18 HT. I think it stands for "Holy Toledo" or "Horny Torpedo" something like that. Err Hi Tech! Yea thats it! I know, the mast IS long. I believe it is about 45 lb. I am also looking into the A cat platform. From what one A cat guy has said, it is about as simple as it gets in terms of rigging hassles. It gets in the water fast, it hauls boodie in 10 knt of wind and it is all great. The big hassle I am seeing is finding one that is worth having at the 6,000 -ish range. Most I have seen, and that aint many, are between 11-14K. I am likely willing to spend 11 large, I would just be in my happy place at 6-ish. The performance takes a pretty good hit at my 225lb ballast figure. If I compare the Portsmouth (whatever they represent) numbers, when the A cat hits the > 200lb crew weights, the numbers go up from a 64 to about 70 I believe. If I could work that in and just keep the H-18 for those days where everyone I know is not watching the bugs boink, or watching sports, It would be good enough.

If it is one boat, then I still believe the 18-2 to scratch the broadest patch of itch. At least that is what I think. What I know, well that is not much. I kind of subscribe to the "its all fun finding out, buy it well and sell it if it sucks" school of thought.

More than anything else, I want a single handed, single rigged, ass hauling, machine. And lunch with Jennifer Aniston would be grand as well. Who do I speak to about that?

G

--
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.