Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker, is it really worth it?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi, I am new to this forum so i'll start by explaining my story... Also, I am french so don't expect good english in my posts icon_rolleyes :
    I started Cat Sailing this year with a 1982 Mystere S (17 foot catamaran) wich was a blast to sail, unfortunatly the mast and the main sail broke in a small accident that I had. Since I enjoyed Cat sailing so much, I immediatly bought a Mystere 6.0 year 2000... I got better at sailing and I am now looking for a new challenge and was thinking about installing a spinnaker system. So my first question is : is it worth it? Second, does anyone here have the experience of installing it themself? If so, any tips or pointers will be appreciated... I am especially worried about drilling holes in my mast. I am not quite sure wich tool is the best and what to do to keep it water tight.

Let me know!

-Phil

--
    Proud owner of a Mystère 6.0
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • lucky for you, cat sailing is bigger in europe than in the US, so you should have lots of help.

go sail on a cat with a spin, you drive, and see what you think.

I have a Hobie 18, sailed it for 3 years, and decided to put a spin on... YES it's worth it!
    Gather up some used stuff, meet some folks who are upgrading theirs... you buy some things new, and save money with their used items.... Look at other boats for installation methods.

You can drill into the mast, no problem. Use "rivet caps" then the rivet, and some silicone, you'll be fine. Biggest thing is go sail and try it out... and study how other boats have their spinnakers setup.
  • Hahaha. Rob, he's in Ottawa not Europe. Anyway, same idea, lots of cats in that part of Canada. You should be able to hook up with someone to take you out. If you sail on a relatively big lake, it will definitely be worth it. I sail on small lakes about 10 mi by 10 mi and it isn't worth the extra trouble for me.

Talk to Dave at Nacra Canada http://www.nacra.ca. He sells quite a few spin kits as add ons for older Nacras, they will work fine on a Mystere. You can also call up Mystere in Quebec http://www.mysterecomposites.com, they have a school and should be able to give you some good advice, in French. My french is so bad I'm not even going to try, my dad is so disappointed in me.

Edited by Wolfman on Sep 12, 2012 - 09:51 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Quote10 mi by 10 mi and it isn't worth the extra trouble

I'm no math major, but isn't that somewhere around 100 square miles? I don't know how any one component could be warranted or negated by how small your lake is.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • i sail a mystere 5.5 and sail with a small fleet of 8 or 9 mysteres (5.5's, 6.0, 6.0XL's)

we ALL have spins. IT IS VERY MUCH WORTH the expense, trouble, frustration, etc

they are expensive (about $700-800 worth of hardware + about $1400 for a new spin) BUT SOOOO WORTH IT.

When it's light air and people are slowly drifting downwind... you can heat up the spinnaker and blow past them. When its medium air... you can fly your cat around like a rock star. When it's heavy air you can get on the wire, fly a hull and really feel exhilaration as you sail on the edge

when it goes bad with the spin.... it goes really bad BUT still... SOOO WORTH IT!

Learning and using a spin is an entirely new way to sail and brings a huge new level of excitement (and fear) into sailing...
  • A 10-mile spinnaker run is well worth the upgrade! I don't have a spinnaker setup. Heck, I don't even have a boat anymore, but I have ridden on plenty of spinnaker cats and can tell you it is a very worthwhile effort.

-Rob V.
    N5.2 (Sold)

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • Thanks for the info guys! I am already making plans to meet up with someone to try out a spinnaker! Maybe I won't have to switch to kite surfing or windsurfing after all icon_lol

--
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • using a spin is Kite Surfing :) but you can have tunes and beer at the same time (unlike "traditional surfing)
  • I enjoy 1 mile runs w/ my spin up. I don't think I'm overstating saying that being trapped out solo with the kite up is exhilarating. Highly recommended.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Ok my lake is a little smaller than that. And there are high escarpments on 2 sides that cause really swirly winds. I might still get a spin someday.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Quotewhen it goes bad with the spin.... it goes really bad BUT still... SOOO WORTH IT!

I friend of mine pitch poled his big mono hull with excessive use of a spinnaker. it was the best trip of his life.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quote I don't think I'm overstating saying that being trapped out solo with the kite up is exhilarating.

I'm considering a kite for my next boat. I can do 30 mile runs, one way. Did a 50 mile trip down the lake around an Island & back on Wed. We often get days of 5-10mph wind, & being able to find excitement downwind is an interesting option.
    I solo about 85% of the time, on a 2 man boat. You mentioned soling with the kite. How much more complicated is that?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • More complicated than what?

Since the main is essentially the backstay, you don't need to hold the mainsheet, and in its place you have the kite sheet. So, from a hands perspective, it's not very different.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • That's what I was wondering. I have never been on a boat flying a kite, & don't know how viable it is to single hand with one.
    Hopefully this winter I will get the chance to hang around some beaches & see firsthand how they are rigged & handled.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I don't know too much about the mechanics of going solo with a spin boat but I know tons of people do it. I mostly crew on 2-man spin boats. I know that the main is the back stay and you definitely don't want to blow it to depower. In a big gust that would likely bring down your mast. You adjust the main with the traveler so that the sheet stays tight. You depower by pointing lower. The best rides are when you can get the hull just out of the water and point higher to power up and point lower to depower. One hull being pulled by a huge kite is an incredible experience with 2 people on board. I bet it is pretty close to nirvana single-handed.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • So it IS possible to go out solo with a spin?! Sounds Great, I will definetly be trying this haha

--
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Quote The best rides are when you can get the hull just out of the water and point higher to power up and point lower to depower.

I've found myself chanting 'heat it up, ride it down' several times.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • QuoteSo it IS possible to go out solo with a spin?! Sounds Great, I will definetly be trying this haha

Yes, it is no big deal at all.. i do it all the time, as Rob said above " you dont need the mainsheet in your hand with a spin out", so it's no big deal.

the only time crew is really beneficial is during hoisting or snuffing, it's always easier to have someone grab the helm while you snuff (or bag) the spinnaker.. but still very doable solo
  • I would have a hard time moving to a non-spin boat full time again.

Make sure you do what you can to make hoisting and dousing as easy as possible for speed and less complaining from crew.

I have had 3 trapped out on my boat on a spin run a couple times with still way too much power. Tons of fun.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Yea, the only thing I am worried about right now is installing it and the cost. Mystere Composite near where I live could install a brand new system on my cat for 3k icon_eek ... Way too expensive for me icon_frown . So I just have to wait out and find a used spin and then build my own spinnaker system. icon_biggrin

--
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.