Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Spinnaker, is it really worth it?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I've sailed a spin on a Hobie 16 and a Falcon F16 and both were awesome. It's like no other feeling you've ever had on a catamaran. You think your cat has power now; wait until you're sailing downwind with a spin holding on for dear life.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • QuoteYea, the only thing I am worried about right now is installing it and the cost. Mystere Composite near where I live could install a brand new system on my cat for 3k icon_eek ... Way too expensive for me

new alum 13'2" pole - $100 (less for used)
    used Tornado spin (fair - to good condition) - $300-700
    55mm rachet blocks (2) - $110
    55mm non-rachet blocks (2) - $80
    tang/block - $40 (guess)
    tack block - ($25)
    tackline - $10
    halyard - $50
    spin sheet -$50
    -------------------------------
    $465 plus the spin (whatever you find)

can be done for around $1000
  • MN3

new alum 13'2" pole - $100 (less for used)
    used Tornado spin (fair - to good condition) - $300-700
    55mm rachet blocks (2) - $110
    55mm non-rachet blocks (2) - $80
    tang/block - $40 (guess)
    tack block - ($25)
    tackline - $10
    halyard - $50
    spin sheet -$50
    -------------------------------
    $465 plus the spin (whatever you find)

can be done for around $1000

Yea that is what I calculated too, around 1000$. You just haven't included the snuffer. But maybe I could be able to make one by myself. By the way, is it really better to install a snuffer? I don't think I could be able to get it out solo with the spin in a bag ? Is the difference worth it?

--
    Proud owner of a Mystère 6.0
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • the weta tri can be soloed with 3 sails up

first you cleat the main and jib, then unfurl the gennaker

when sailing you keep 1 hand on the tiller and the other on the spin sheet

if you get over-powered you steer down, release some sheet, or both

a few things you need to keep in mind

1. there is no window in the spin so it has a HUGE blind spot which can be dangerous when it's crowded...

2. as steering down is the main bailout option be careful not to sail too close to shorelines and other boats when it's gusty

3. you will eventually get hit by a gust too big to be able to steer out of and releasing only some sheet will simply deepen the pocket in the sail and power it up even more...lifting the rudder out of the water, burying the bow and over you go.....so know how to right your boat solo

4. putting the spin away is often a 2 handed job so it helps to steer down early and have some kind of stiff rudder so the boat doesn't round up when your hand is off the tiller

ps a bag launched spin is harder again and probably only safe to use when soloing in light winds
  • QuoteBy the way, is it really better to install a snuffer? I don't think I could be able to get it out solo with the spin in a bag ? Is the difference worth it?

you can start without a snuffer - much easier with crew as it takes much longer to stuff a huge sail into a bag

Out (and in) of a bag is much easier with a snuffer system

the snuffer is defiantly worth it (esp f you sail solo)

PS i wouldn't make my own unless i was a metal fabricator ... homemade snuffers dont usually work very well and risk tearing the spin
  • Quote3. you will eventually get hit by a gust too big to be able to steer out of and releasing only some sheet will simply deepen the pocket in the sail and power it up even more...lifting the rudder out of the water, burying the bow and over you go.....so know how to right your boat solo

you are correct, as you sheet the spin out .. it powers up..
    but, you can usually dump the spin sheet to save yourself, but your spin will flog like crazy (who cares)

I have never (personally) capsized with a spin out, and i am currently on my 3rd spin

i have been crew (in a race) where the skipper sailed to high after a jybe and we capsized with a spin out
    and i have seen my pal dump right in front of me because he tried to steer up to depower (deeper/more dead-down-wind would have been correct) and capsized, but both times, it could have been avoided by dumping the spin sheet.

Edited by MN3 on Sep 19, 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.