Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

help identify this mystery cat  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Dustin - thanks for the offer. I'm on the lake (Rockport) already so not too likely to pull out this season. Sounds fun, though - maybe next year.

About Rockport (for those following this thread hijack). Early spring and huge runoff years will put the boats pretty high on the shore until the lake starts to drop a bit, usually mid June, when we start to get a nice little beach. Boats are stored about a 3 minute walk from the ramp/concessions which gives it a nice private feel. I like to think of it as a very low budget beach club. Trailers are stored near there as well. It is all public access but have not heard of anyone having theft or damage. Several folks keep kayaks/BBQ's/whatever secured under their boats or on their trailers as well. I think we had about 20 boats there last year, so usually others around to chase about the lake. I live in Park City, maybe 20 minutes away, so easy to get on the water 2-3 times a week, usually after work. Typical mountain lake sailing, with wind every which direction and never constant. Still fun, though. Jordanelle, BTW, has a decent sailing program these days. Really big Laser class racing now. Launching there, however, is a major drag if you need to use the big ramp. There is a PWC ramp, which is much easier when crowded, but can be a tight fit for a cat trailer. Overall, not worth my time or sanity though it is a closer, bigger lake.

Chris
  • Just heard from the owner ... the boat has sold!

Ok! ... So who here got her?

--
    AJ
    Barefoot 12 Proa Outrigger
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • Hey AJ, thanks for getting the extra pics. Are those full size like he sent you? I'd like to add this boat to the "unknown beachcats" folder with as good pics as possible.

If the originals were larger please either email them to me "damon@ this site" or make the album yourself in "unknown beachcats' with the larger photos.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon,

I created the subfolder - 18' Utah Mystery Catamaran - in the 'Unknown Beachcats' folder as per your request.

The original owner provided images were HUGE, so we've got great high rez pics to view!

No other historical information was available from the owner. The owner referred to the boat as 'extremely light weight' and vaguely remembered the boat being associated with a 'Browning' (or 'Brown') but didn't recall if that was the design,
    designer or manufacturer.

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • BadKittyJust heard from the owner ... the boat has sold!

Ok! ... So who here got her?

Wasn't me, and i have to say i am a little disappointed. I was hoping to come up with some extra cash... oh well maybe us Utah folks will see it around.

cbbDustin - thanks for the offer. I'm on the lake (Rockport) already so not too likely to pull out this season. Sounds fun, though - maybe next year.

About Rockport (for those following this thread hijack). Early spring and huge runoff years will put the boats pretty high on the shore until the lake starts to drop a bit, usually mid June, when we start to get a nice little beach. Boats are stored about a 3 minute walk from the ramp/concessions which gives it a nice private feel. I like to think of it as a very low budget beach club. Trailers are stored near there as well. It is all public access but have not heard of anyone having theft or damage. Several folks keep kayaks/BBQ's/whatever secured under their boats or on their trailers as well. I think we had about 20 boats there last year, so usually others around to chase about the lake. I live in Park City, maybe 20 minutes away, so easy to get on the water 2-3 times a week, usually after work. Typical mountain lake sailing, with wind every which direction and never constant. Still fun, though. Jordanelle, BTW, has a decent sailing program these days. Really big Laser class racing now. Launching there, however, is a major drag if you need to use the big ramp. There is a PWC ramp, which is much easier when crowded, but can be a tight fit for a cat trailer. Overall, not worth my time or sanity though it is a closer, bigger lake.

Chris

Rockport sounds pretty fun actually. Jordanelle is, howerver, a but closer for me and i do like the consistent winds, cliffs to jump off, and their 2 launches. Having a north facing launch and south facing launch make nice to have a choice depending on which way the wind is blowing. I've never had trouble getting my 18' cat down the smaller ramp. I am not sure what Jordanelle charges to keep a boat there. Probably an arm and a leg.

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • QuoteWasn't me, and i have to say i am a little disappointed. I was hoping to come up with some extra cash... oh well maybe us Utah folks will see it around.

Venora,

I too am very disappointed - I was in the middle of shipping quotes and wanted to get a 'ball park' figure before I told
    the owner 'consider her sold'. I guess when I had him on the phone, I should have asked if he would hold her for me with a deposit 'til I could get my ducks in a row. I shipped my Welsford Navigator from Maine to North Carolina and it cost $1000.00+ with fees and insurance. The Navigator did not have a trailer - just the boat and a small outboard.

He said he had lots of inquiries - that some guy from Orem was very interested. Maybe that's the fellow who purchased her.

When the owner notified me that the boat had sold, I asked for more images of the rudders/mech. system but he said the boat was gone by the time he got home from work. I asked him to pass my contact info along to the new owner
    and vice versa, however, I have not had a reply since.

I'm wondering if the boat was a foam cored job, like Airex or something. The owner kept mentioning how extremely light weight the boat was - said he could lift it high with one hand. Looking at the images, there looks like lots of distortion on the decks at the rear cross member joint and it appears extra thickness was added to the decks around the tramp.

Without really seeing things up close, I just have to wonder ....

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new owner will contact either me or this board.

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • I sure didn't buy it.

I am considering leaving a P16 up at Rockport sometime. Probably a Franken model with one yellow and one white hull. icon_biggrin

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Yep, the Orem guy got it! I'm working on registering it and if they can track down the former registration (no luck yesterday with hull decals) maybe I can learn more about its history. If not, I'm hoping they'll let me register it as a Mystery, as you called it above.

I'll send photos soon for your unknown cats section. BTW, I found one other similar boat for sale a few years ago in NY at http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7115 that says it's a 1960s custom job.

Now to pick a name: Banana Boat, Trans Am, Cylon Raider...

Shaun
    1960's Mystery 18'
    Orem, UT

--
    Shaun
    1967 P-Cat Cousin "Yellow Jacket"
    Orem, UT
    --
  • bananaboatYep, the Orem guy got it! I'm working on registering it and if they can track down the former registration (no luck yesterday with hull decals) maybe I can learn more about its history. If not, I'm hoping they'll let me register it as a Mystery, as you called it above.

I'll send photos soon for your unknown cats section. BTW, I found one other similar boat for sale a few years ago in NY at http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7115 that says it's a 1960s custom job.

Now to pick a name: Banana Boat, Trans Am, Cylon Raider...

Shaun
    1960's Mystery 18'
    Orem, UT

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Orem guy! And thanks Shaun for figuring out your signature and avatar right away.

If you are planning on fixing the mystery boat up to sail (that would be cool) please document create a technical album and document your work in case one of these ever pops up again and for our entertainment. Here's a great example of an album like that from restoring another 1960's boat, the Pacific Cat.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=83700
    You know, looking at this picture from that album, maybe your boat has P-Cat heritage.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83705&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • smackdaddy
    Thanks Damon. Actually it's pure ignorance that makes me wonder. The bows just don't seem to have that rocker and roundness of the Hobie 16.

With the new pictures you posted I agree it's not any Hobie I've ever seen, the first picture you posted I figured just might be distorted from the angle or lens.

The thing has a lot of features in common with the Hobie 14/16 but the hulls are quite different. There aren't too many boats beside the Hobies with that sort of tramp platform on pylons.

Please start a new thread for this boat so we don't mess up the Utah Mystery boats thread any more. Once you've done the new thread I'll delete these posts.

Oh, and welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteYep, the Orem guy got it!

Jeez Shaun -- What part of 'Dibs! ... I call it!' do you not understand? Huh?
    Maybe I should have sprayed it or something ... My cousins used to lick sandwiches to claim them, maybe that would have worked icon_wink ....

Great you joined! I'm glad to know the whereabouts of this boat and anxious to watch your resto/rebuild.

Thanks for the link of the similar boat in NY -- I contacted Phil and am waiting for a reply. That boat is way closer to me than Utah icon_biggrin
    OK GUYS - DIBS ON THAT ONE! 'KAY???

Get pics up as soon as you can!

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • Hey Shaun

FYI, Utah DMV will let you register it without prior registration/pink slip/sales recipt/Etc. Ask for "insufficient evidence of ownership" and they'll give you the forms to get it rolling. They don't always tell you this up front...

Chris
  • AJ, thanks for not licking it - gross! I don't think I could ever sit on it again after that. I hope the NY one works out!

Chris, yep, got it done. They even found the former registration and had it as a 1967 and its model listed as "Bowning." Maybe a typo of "Browning" and listed as model instead of make? Make is registered as "unknown." But I bet Damon's right, because the front cross member looks exactly like those Pacific Cats.

Here's some info on current condition in case you're interested:
    - some waviness in hulls, but no soft spots.
    - needs look-through ports replaced (the threading is broken away)
    - needs yellow jacket nests removed
    - daggerboards look good, rudders need some reworking - the epoxy coated plywood is worn through in a couple spots
    - Hobie 16 main, mast, and boom in great condition, other than a number or two coming detached.
    - Some repainting needed over new glass/primer, and some paint cracking and chipping.
    - Got tramps resewn. They should last a while longer.
    - It would be nice to rerig the forestays into a single cable so I can add a jib.
    - Swapped out the wheels - one tire was totally shot and the other has cracks and didn't look trustworthy. Took some smaller ones off another trailer for now.
    - Trailer in good condition though it would use a new paint job.
    All in all, it's in great shape and I could sail it right now!

Shaun
    1967 P-Cat Cousin
    Orem, UT

--
    Shaun
    Orem, UT
    --
  • Hey Shaun, where in UT did you get the tramp re-sewn and was it a good job and good price? I have an early P16 no ports tramps that is in pretty good condition except the the thread is very sun damaged so it needs re-stitching. You should take it to Deer Creek on the 23rd and 24th for the Summer Games. And bring it to Bear Lake 4th of July Weekend or Labor Day Weekend.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • BadKitty

Thanks for the link of the similar boat in NY -- I contacted Phil and am waiting for a reply. That boat is way closer to me than Utah icon_biggrin

Now that I've seen the blue one in New York at least we know this wasn't a one-off custom. Maybe someone in the 60's was selling plans for this, that would be cool to find.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • i was having a quick google for browning catamaran

and came across this 1941 photo of browning camp cats on a lake

http://www.corbisimages.c…arans-on-pine-view-lake

Edited by erice on Jun 15, 2012 - 06:18 PM.
  • QuarathHey Shaun, where in UT did you get the tramp re-sewn and was it a good job and good price? I have an early P16 no ports tramps that is in pretty good condition except the the thread is very sun damaged so it needs re-stitching.

Some friends did the sewing for me. They have a nice machine with special feet (& other sewing jargon) that seems to handle material like this quite well. If you're interested, I'm sure they'd fix up your stuff for super cheap. They're here in NE Orem.

With the early spring, Bear Lake should be nice and "warm" this year! I'll be there sometime in August for a family reunion. I'm keeping the boat a secret from my family until then to make up for nearly making my niece cry when she found out I sold my Catalina 22 before last summer's vaca. My computer screen saver is a shot of the glowing aqua blue water below that boat, which was one big motivation to look for another a week ago. Lucky me!
    http://www.shaunroundy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/blladder.jpg

Edited by bananaboat on Jun 16, 2012 - 07:38 AM.

--
    Shaun
    Orem, UT
    --
  • Shaun ~

I just did a quick search for 'BOWNING' and found the following YT vid and blog - No YELLOW JACKET but what history ... too cool;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uL4LilMWI

http://www.catsailingnews…ials-1967-beggining.html

Great name BTW! YELLOW JACKET !!!

I'll dig deeper this weekend and see if there was a Bowning or Browning associated with P-Cat design -- maybe Tom of 'SMILODON' fame will know something and chime in here. How 'bout it Tom, know anything about the
    early P-Caters?

I don't know what I'll find out about the NY boat - images are dated from 2002 - 10 years ago icon_eek

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --
  • Wow! This thread is getting more and more interesting everyday! Welcome Shaun and congrats on getting that awesome looking cat! (i am slightly jealous over here) I am happy it went to a good home. I'd love to see it out and sailing! I'll probably be out on the Jordanelle quite a bit this summer. Bring it on up!

Hobie 16 mast on an 18 ft boat with no jib might be a little slow... but i bet it would be super stable, and at least you know you can get those related parts pretty easily. I LOVE the kick up dagger boards (i once shipwrecked my Solcat when my daggerboard tore through the whole hull after hitting a rock off the coast of New Hampshire) I've contemplated implementing something like that on my cat. I also LOVE the angled hulls, fiberglass front spar, and lack of dolphin striker. It is probably the coolest looking catamaran i have ever seen. It reminds me of a Corvette.

The blue "P-Cat cousin" / "Bowning" is very interesting. The mystery is unfolding. At least we know there were more than one made!

BadKitty, those videos are pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. your "Yellow Jacket" and my "Bumblebee" might have to have a little race/showdown sometime! Oh, and i may have an old set of bridle wires from my Solcat when i replaced the rigging. You are welcome to have them if you want to try to rig up a single forestay/jib. I don't remember what sort of shape they are in or if i still have them... i'll have to look.

Edited by Venora on Jun 15, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • Shawn,

Looks like you own the only one in existence!

I just talked to the 'owner' of the blue boat in NY and that boat was destroyed several years ago. He could offer no history nor information on 'his' boat's make/model ... other than 'It's a custom boat.' I pressed for more information and he acted like he 'couldn't be bothered'. "Why do you want information from me about a boat I don't own?!!?" ... Really Dude? - I'm just trying to get some info, that's all. I should have jerked his chain a little and told him he destroyed an extremely valuable boat with significant sailing history!

So, we're back to square one (that is, until another shows up icon_wink )

--
    AJ
    Coastal NC, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.