help identify this mystery cat

so i have a bad habit of randomly searching local classifieds for catamarans that i don't need (my SolCat keeps me busy enough) and i came across this sweet looking 18 ft rig. I was wondering if anyone knows what it is. Its got some stealthy looking angles to it... only $400! They claim its a hobie but i dont think so...

http://img.bonnint.net/c/1974/197455/19745580.jpg?filter=ksl/gallery1

or here is a direct link to the ad...
http://www.ksl.com/index.…=&lpid=&search=catamaran

--
70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
--
looks like a 1970something muscle car...super bee with the fin! it's got style points for sure.

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
Huh! With that fiberglass forward beam, it looks like it draws at least some of its heritage from the P-Cat or the Catfish. But it looks like it has outward canted hulls. I thought that was more recent innovation. Pretty darned cool!

Says it's got all the bits and pieces. I'm curious what kind of rig it comes with. But I agree. If it's a Hobie, it's some prototype. Never seen the like.

Tom

--
Tom Benedict
Island of Hawaii
P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
--
I have the same problem which i why I have 3 Prindle 16s and Hobie 17 in my Back Yard.

I like this one it's kinda sexy. Doe sit have all it's parts?

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
I am in South Florida and the boat appears to be in Utah. If the boat was here I would buy it. I like the looks.
Really cool looking boat. I suspect the "Hobie" in the ad is to draw someone who put Hobie in their search vs catamaran. $400 bucks, if it sails thats not a bad deal. Just parts could be scarce.

To answer your question - I dont have a clue about what kind of boat that is.

--
David
Memphis, TN
'84 Hobie 18
--
Dibs! .. I call it!

Is there anyone in that area that can go check it out?

It may be cost prohibitive to ship to NC, but what a cool looking boat (I know guys, 'cool looking' doesn't mean it will sail well -- but heck).

Thinking about giving him a call anyway.

--
AJ
Barefoot 12 Proa Outrigger
Coastal NC, USA
--
They say it's got all the parts, but i don't see a mast, or boom or anything... maybe they are stored somewhere else... i like the high clearance forward cross member, and the lack of a dolphin striker makes it that much more streamlined. The dagger boards are really funky looking too, maybe a sort of kick-up design? I am starting to think this thing may be some sort of custom deal. Parts would be very difficult to source... I am in Utah and about an hour and a half away... maybe it's worth a drive. I would love to buy it but i probably have more important things to spend $400 on. Why oh why do i have to spend my free time searching classifieds?

--

Heber City, UT
--
You could call Utah DNR and give them the registration numbers and tell them you are trying to track down a title. They will give you the information that is it registered as.

--
Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
--
Venora I am in Utah and about an hour and a half away... maybe it's worth a drive. I would love to buy it but i probably have more important things to spend $400 on. Why oh why do i have to spend my free time searching classifieds?

OK Venora, it's your mission to visit this cool looking boat and report back to TheBeachcats.com with your findings. Take pictures from every angle whether you buy it or not. Relentlessly quiz the owner about it's history and manufacture.

Grill him to find out if there is any possibility that he has sales or assembly literature for the boat stashed away some place. If you can't get the boat fully assembled for photographs at least make sure and get the sales rolled out to capture any logos and the overall design of the sales. Pics of the rudder system and daggers too!

Look for any HIN numbers on the sterns or anywhere else.

This one is cool and needs to be added to the Beachcats Identification gallery.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Called the guy @ 10:00 am Utah time and left a message.

Waiting for a call back -- will let you guys know what I find out ...

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Ok, if badkitty doesn't hear back on it soon i'll try giving him a call...

--

Heber City, UT
--
It's actually about a 30 min drive from my house. I can't afford to buy another boat right now but I wouldn't mind taking a look at it just to check it out.

Hey Venora when and were do you sail?
You gonna sail in the Summer Games at Deer Creek?
You should come hang out with Utah Sailing Association at Bear Lake weekend after the 4th of July and Labor Day weekend.
We;ve got another Solcat in our group as well.

Edited by Quarath on Jun 11, 2012 - 02:27 PM.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
This summer i am only really going to have Mondays off, so that limits our sailing options as far as clubs, get-togethers, and regattas go. I usually sail at Jordanelle, and will probably be out there every other week or so once the weather warms up a bit. (we were going to go today but it was a little chilly. This year we will be getting a state parks pass good for all the utah state parks, so we will probably go more places. I had it up at Bear Lake last year and really loved it. We are relatively new to Utah and never made it up there. If you ever get a monday off and want to go sailing let me know!

--

Heber City, UT
--
Hey Verona

have you considered Rockport? Mast up storage on the beach makes after work sailing pretty doable. $120-ish for the summer and not too far from Heber. Not the most dynamic place to sail, but for sure you'll get out a lot if you want.

Chris
i've actually never been to rockport before, but $120ish is pretty good. I'll have to look into it.

--

Heber City, UT
--
The daggerboard system looks nearly identical to those on the 18' AquaCat I looked at a while ago.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
Ok ... Talked to the owner this evening ...

Not a sailboat person. Traded for a service and ended up with the boat. No paperwork. No hull I.D. number.
Hulls have been painted. Mast appears replaced (too 'new' looking and doesn't match boom). Rudders
are glass covered plywood. 'Dagger boards' are pivoting on a 'pin'. Single sail - no jib. Sail has window
and is brightly colored with yellow orange gradient stripes and is not square topped.
Didn't think mast had any spreaders - but it has been awhile since boat was in the water.
Drain holes in transoms, inspection ports in decks. Some kind of corky-spongy 'non-slip' paint application on tops of hulls. Rigid foam flotation inserts visible in bottom of hulls through inspection ports.

Waiting for pics tomorrow.

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
QuoteThis summer i am only really going to have Mondays off, so that limits our sailing options as far as clubs, get-togethers, and regattas go. I usually sail at Jordanelle, and will probably be out there every other week or so once the weather warms up a bit. (we were going to go today but it was a little chilly. This year we will be getting a state parks pass good for all the utah state parks, so we will probably go more places. I had it up at Bear Lake last year and really loved it. We are relatively new to Utah and never made it up there. If you ever get a monday off and want to go sailing let me know!

I was always told Jordanelle was overrun by motorheads so sailing was difficult. Deercreek is very close and has reliable daily thermals so wind in not an issue. I usually only go there once a year for the Summer Games. I don't usually sail in them I just volunteer with the club to help run things. This year is is the 23rd and the 24th of June. I won't be there because I will be at a Family event at Bear Lake. If you ever can arrange vac time for a weekend you should consider one of our Bear lake trips they are a great time. Except for Memorial Day, to Damn cold. Labor Day is Unofficial regatta. We sail the 10 miles to Garden City. Eat Lunch at LaBeau's and sail back. The sail back always seems to be interesting wind wise.

(cbb) Chris, you should come to. Where are you located?

Quotehave you considered Rockport? Mast up storage on the beach makes after work sailing pretty doable. $120-ish for the summer and not too far from Heber. Not the most dynamic place to sail, but for sure you'll get out a lot if you want.

I checked out Rockport it looks like a pretty nice deal but when I went the water was so high all the boats were stacked on the mountain side on top of the dead fall because there was no beach. Not sure if that was fluke or normal but it made me nervous all the same.

QuoteIs there anyone in that area that can go check it out?

It may be cost prohibitive to ship to NC, but what a cool looking boat (I know guys, 'cool looking' doesn't mean it will sail well -- but heck).

I don't mind taking a look if I can get away and I might could even store it for a bit. I am not sure what I could do about the tire or if it is really worth it to you to ship anywhere. I just took apart most of my Prindles so there is more room if the wife doesn't care. It looks like it is centerboard not daggers which I like it means they should kick up. I may not be able to do anything on a weekend right away. I might could break away on a weekday evening. I am not sure what I will be able to do about the trailer if the tire is shot.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
Here are some of the images sent to me by the owner earlier today;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_001s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_004s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_007s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_008s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_009s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_010s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_011s.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26309604/UtahCatamaran/Sail_boat_012s.jpg

Would like to see images of the rudders and rudder housing mechanism. Looks like a modified Hobie sail with reef points. I see numerous wavy distorted sections on the hulls and several large areas of what looks like Bondo repair.

Edited by BadKitty on Jun 12, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Dustin - thanks for the offer. I'm on the lake (Rockport) already so not too likely to pull out this season. Sounds fun, though - maybe next year.

About Rockport (for those following this thread hijack). Early spring and huge runoff years will put the boats pretty high on the shore until the lake starts to drop a bit, usually mid June, when we start to get a nice little beach. Boats are stored about a 3 minute walk from the ramp/concessions which gives it a nice private feel. I like to think of it as a very low budget beach club. Trailers are stored near there as well. It is all public access but have not heard of anyone having theft or damage. Several folks keep kayaks/BBQ's/whatever secured under their boats or on their trailers as well. I think we had about 20 boats there last year, so usually others around to chase about the lake. I live in Park City, maybe 20 minutes away, so easy to get on the water 2-3 times a week, usually after work. Typical mountain lake sailing, with wind every which direction and never constant. Still fun, though. Jordanelle, BTW, has a decent sailing program these days. Really big Laser class racing now. Launching there, however, is a major drag if you need to use the big ramp. There is a PWC ramp, which is much easier when crowded, but can be a tight fit for a cat trailer. Overall, not worth my time or sanity though it is a closer, bigger lake.

Chris
Just heard from the owner ... the boat has sold!

Ok! ... So who here got her?

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Hey AJ, thanks for getting the extra pics. Are those full size like he sent you? I'd like to add this boat to the "unknown beachcats" folder with as good pics as possible.

If the originals were larger please either email them to me "damon@ this site" or make the album yourself in "unknown beachcats' with the larger photos.

Thanks,

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
Damon,

I created the subfolder - 18' Utah Mystery Catamaran - in the 'Unknown Beachcats' folder as per your request.

The original owner provided images were HUGE, so we've got great high rez pics to view!

No other historical information was available from the owner. The owner referred to the boat as 'extremely light weight' and vaguely remembered the boat being associated with a 'Browning' (or 'Brown') but didn't recall if that was the design,
designer or manufacturer.

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
BadKittyJust heard from the owner ... the boat has sold!

Ok! ... So who here got her?

Wasn't me, and i have to say i am a little disappointed. I was hoping to come up with some extra cash... oh well maybe us Utah folks will see it around.

cbbDustin - thanks for the offer. I'm on the lake (Rockport) already so not too likely to pull out this season. Sounds fun, though - maybe next year.

About Rockport (for those following this thread hijack). Early spring and huge runoff years will put the boats pretty high on the shore until the lake starts to drop a bit, usually mid June, when we start to get a nice little beach. Boats are stored about a 3 minute walk from the ramp/concessions which gives it a nice private feel. I like to think of it as a very low budget beach club. Trailers are stored near there as well. It is all public access but have not heard of anyone having theft or damage. Several folks keep kayaks/BBQ's/whatever secured under their boats or on their trailers as well. I think we had about 20 boats there last year, so usually others around to chase about the lake. I live in Park City, maybe 20 minutes away, so easy to get on the water 2-3 times a week, usually after work. Typical mountain lake sailing, with wind every which direction and never constant. Still fun, though. Jordanelle, BTW, has a decent sailing program these days. Really big Laser class racing now. Launching there, however, is a major drag if you need to use the big ramp. There is a PWC ramp, which is much easier when crowded, but can be a tight fit for a cat trailer. Overall, not worth my time or sanity though it is a closer, bigger lake.

Chris

Rockport sounds pretty fun actually. Jordanelle is, howerver, a but closer for me and i do like the consistent winds, cliffs to jump off, and their 2 launches. Having a north facing launch and south facing launch make nice to have a choice depending on which way the wind is blowing. I've never had trouble getting my 18' cat down the smaller ramp. I am not sure what Jordanelle charges to keep a boat there. Probably an arm and a leg.

--

Heber City, UT
--
QuoteWasn't me, and i have to say i am a little disappointed. I was hoping to come up with some extra cash... oh well maybe us Utah folks will see it around.

Venora,

I too am very disappointed - I was in the middle of shipping quotes and wanted to get a 'ball park' figure before I told
the owner 'consider her sold'. I guess when I had him on the phone, I should have asked if he would hold her for me with a deposit 'til I could get my ducks in a row. I shipped my Welsford Navigator from Maine to North Carolina and it cost $1000.00+ with fees and insurance. The Navigator did not have a trailer - just the boat and a small outboard.

He said he had lots of inquiries - that some guy from Orem was very interested. Maybe that's the fellow who purchased her.

When the owner notified me that the boat had sold, I asked for more images of the rudders/mech. system but he said the boat was gone by the time he got home from work. I asked him to pass my contact info along to the new owner
and vice versa, however, I have not had a reply since.

I'm wondering if the boat was a foam cored job, like Airex or something. The owner kept mentioning how extremely light weight the boat was - said he could lift it high with one hand. Looking at the images, there looks like lots of distortion on the decks at the rear cross member joint and it appears extra thickness was added to the decks around the tramp.

Without really seeing things up close, I just have to wonder ....

Maybe we'll get lucky and the new owner will contact either me or this board.

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
I sure didn't buy it.

I am considering leaving a P16 up at Rockport sometime. Probably a Franken model with one yellow and one white hull. icon_biggrin

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
Yep, the Orem guy got it! I'm working on registering it and if they can track down the former registration (no luck yesterday with hull decals) maybe I can learn more about its history. If not, I'm hoping they'll let me register it as a Mystery, as you called it above.

I'll send photos soon for your unknown cats section. BTW, I found one other similar boat for sale a few years ago in NY at http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7115 that says it's a 1960s custom job.

Now to pick a name: Banana Boat, Trans Am, Cylon Raider...

Shaun
1960's Mystery 18'
Orem, UT

--
Shaun
1967 P-Cat Cousin "Yellow Jacket"
Orem, UT
--
bananaboatYep, the Orem guy got it! I'm working on registering it and if they can track down the former registration (no luck yesterday with hull decals) maybe I can learn more about its history. If not, I'm hoping they'll let me register it as a Mystery, as you called it above.

I'll send photos soon for your unknown cats section. BTW, I found one other similar boat for sale a few years ago in NY at http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7115 that says it's a 1960s custom job.

Now to pick a name: Banana Boat, Trans Am, Cylon Raider...

Shaun
1960's Mystery 18'
Orem, UT

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Orem guy! And thanks Shaun for figuring out your signature and avatar right away.

If you are planning on fixing the mystery boat up to sail (that would be cool) please document create a technical album and document your work in case one of these ever pops up again and for our entertainment. Here's a great example of an album like that from restoring another 1960's boat, the Pacific Cat.
http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=83700
You know, looking at this picture from that album, maybe your boat has P-Cat heritage.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83705&g2_serialNumber=4

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
smackdaddy
Thanks Damon. Actually it's pure ignorance that makes me wonder. The bows just don't seem to have that rocker and roundness of the Hobie 16.

With the new pictures you posted I agree it's not any Hobie I've ever seen, the first picture you posted I figured just might be distorted from the angle or lens.

The thing has a lot of features in common with the Hobie 14/16 but the hulls are quite different. There aren't too many boats beside the Hobies with that sort of tramp platform on pylons.

Please start a new thread for this boat so we don't mess up the Utah Mystery boats thread any more. Once you've done the new thread I'll delete these posts.

Oh, and welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
QuoteYep, the Orem guy got it!

Jeez Shaun -- What part of 'Dibs! ... I call it!' do you not understand? Huh?
Maybe I should have sprayed it or something ... My cousins used to lick sandwiches to claim them, maybe that would have worked icon_wink ....

Great you joined! I'm glad to know the whereabouts of this boat and anxious to watch your resto/rebuild.

Thanks for the link of the similar boat in NY -- I contacted Phil and am waiting for a reply. That boat is way closer to me than Utah icon_biggrin
OK GUYS - DIBS ON THAT ONE! 'KAY???

Get pics up as soon as you can!

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Hey Shaun

FYI, Utah DMV will let you register it without prior registration/pink slip/sales recipt/Etc. Ask for "insufficient evidence of ownership" and they'll give you the forms to get it rolling. They don't always tell you this up front...

Chris
AJ, thanks for not licking it - gross! I don't think I could ever sit on it again after that. I hope the NY one works out!

Chris, yep, got it done. They even found the former registration and had it as a 1967 and its model listed as "Bowning." Maybe a typo of "Browning" and listed as model instead of make? Make is registered as "unknown." But I bet Damon's right, because the front cross member looks exactly like those Pacific Cats.

Here's some info on current condition in case you're interested:
- some waviness in hulls, but no soft spots.
- needs look-through ports replaced (the threading is broken away)
- needs yellow jacket nests removed
- daggerboards look good, rudders need some reworking - the epoxy coated plywood is worn through in a couple spots
- Hobie 16 main, mast, and boom in great condition, other than a number or two coming detached.
- Some repainting needed over new glass/primer, and some paint cracking and chipping.
- Got tramps resewn. They should last a while longer.
- It would be nice to rerig the forestays into a single cable so I can add a jib.
- Swapped out the wheels - one tire was totally shot and the other has cracks and didn't look trustworthy. Took some smaller ones off another trailer for now.
- Trailer in good condition though it would use a new paint job.
All in all, it's in great shape and I could sail it right now!

Shaun
1967 P-Cat Cousin
Orem, UT

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Hey Shaun, where in UT did you get the tramp re-sewn and was it a good job and good price? I have an early P16 no ports tramps that is in pretty good condition except the the thread is very sun damaged so it needs re-stitching. You should take it to Deer Creek on the 23rd and 24th for the Summer Games. And bring it to Bear Lake 4th of July Weekend or Labor Day Weekend.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
BadKitty

Thanks for the link of the similar boat in NY -- I contacted Phil and am waiting for a reply. That boat is way closer to me than Utah icon_biggrin

Now that I've seen the blue one in New York at least we know this wasn't a one-off custom. Maybe someone in the 60's was selling plans for this, that would be cool to find.

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
i was having a quick google for browning catamaran

and came across this 1941 photo of browning camp cats on a lake

http://www.corbisimages.c…arans-on-pine-view-lake

Edited by erice on Jun 15, 2012 - 06:18 PM.
QuarathHey Shaun, where in UT did you get the tramp re-sewn and was it a good job and good price? I have an early P16 no ports tramps that is in pretty good condition except the the thread is very sun damaged so it needs re-stitching.

Some friends did the sewing for me. They have a nice machine with special feet (& other sewing jargon) that seems to handle material like this quite well. If you're interested, I'm sure they'd fix up your stuff for super cheap. They're here in NE Orem.

With the early spring, Bear Lake should be nice and "warm" this year! I'll be there sometime in August for a family reunion. I'm keeping the boat a secret from my family until then to make up for nearly making my niece cry when she found out I sold my Catalina 22 before last summer's vaca. My computer screen saver is a shot of the glowing aqua blue water below that boat, which was one big motivation to look for another a week ago. Lucky me!
http://www.shaunroundy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/blladder.jpg

Edited by bananaboat on Jun 16, 2012 - 07:38 AM.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Shaun ~

I just did a quick search for 'BOWNING' and found the following YT vid and blog - No YELLOW JACKET but what history ... too cool;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_uL4LilMWI

http://www.catsailingnews…ials-1967-beggining.html

Great name BTW! YELLOW JACKET !!!

I'll dig deeper this weekend and see if there was a Bowning or Browning associated with P-Cat design -- maybe Tom of 'SMILODON' fame will know something and chime in here. How 'bout it Tom, know anything about the
early P-Caters?

I don't know what I'll find out about the NY boat - images are dated from 2002 - 10 years ago icon_eek

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Wow! This thread is getting more and more interesting everyday! Welcome Shaun and congrats on getting that awesome looking cat! (i am slightly jealous over here) I am happy it went to a good home. I'd love to see it out and sailing! I'll probably be out on the Jordanelle quite a bit this summer. Bring it on up!

Hobie 16 mast on an 18 ft boat with no jib might be a little slow... but i bet it would be super stable, and at least you know you can get those related parts pretty easily. I LOVE the kick up dagger boards (i once shipwrecked my Solcat when my daggerboard tore through the whole hull after hitting a rock off the coast of New Hampshire) I've contemplated implementing something like that on my cat. I also LOVE the angled hulls, fiberglass front spar, and lack of dolphin striker. It is probably the coolest looking catamaran i have ever seen. It reminds me of a Corvette.

The blue "P-Cat cousin" / "Bowning" is very interesting. The mystery is unfolding. At least we know there were more than one made!

BadKitty, those videos are pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. your "Yellow Jacket" and my "Bumblebee" might have to have a little race/showdown sometime! Oh, and i may have an old set of bridle wires from my Solcat when i replaced the rigging. You are welcome to have them if you want to try to rig up a single forestay/jib. I don't remember what sort of shape they are in or if i still have them... i'll have to look.

Edited by Venora on Jun 15, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

--

Heber City, UT
--
Shawn,

Looks like you own the only one in existence!

I just talked to the 'owner' of the blue boat in NY and that boat was destroyed several years ago. He could offer no history nor information on 'his' boat's make/model ... other than 'It's a custom boat.' I pressed for more information and he acted like he 'couldn't be bothered'. "Why do you want information from me about a boat I don't own?!!?" ... Really Dude? - I'm just trying to get some info, that's all. I should have jerked his chain a little and told him he destroyed an extremely valuable boat with significant sailing history!

So, we're back to square one (that is, until another shows up icon_wink )

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
AJ.. NIce link. History always teaches us things.. H

--
Hal Liske
Livermore CA
H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
--
VenoraIt is probably the coolest looking catamaran i have ever seen.

Thanks!

QuoteP.S. your "Yellow Jacket" and my "Bumblebee" might have to have a little race/showdown sometime!

Sounds like a plan! I'm considering starting up a Utah Lake Yacht Club so we may get abundant opportunities!

QuoteOh, and i may have an old set of bridle wires from my Solcat when i replaced the rigging. You are welcome to have them if you want to try to rig up a single forestay/jib. I don't remember what sort of shape they are in or if i still have them... i'll have to look.

And thanks again! That would be awesome if you do - though you recognize, of course, that it would even the playing field and your Bumblebee may become a Humblebee when I flip on my nitrous booster rockets ;)

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
BadKittyI should have jerked his chain a little and told him he destroyed an extremely valuable boat with significant sailing history!

lol, yeah, you should have! We could always get a few people to call him, all excited-like, asking if they can wire him the money immediately, etc.

BadKittyLooks like you own the only one in existence!

Very interesting. I'm getting even more curious about it now. I'll get it sailing, post some photos around, and *somebody*'s gotta know something. Would have gone out this morning but there was no wind at all.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
ericei was having a quick google for browning catamaran

and came across this 1941 photo of browning camp cats on a lake

http://www.corbisimages.c…arans-on-pine-view-lakeEdited by erice on Jun 15, 2012 - 06:18 PM.

That is really funny as I sail at that reservoir at least once a year. Twice last year. It is the venue for our clubs end of season get together called Oktoberfest. Many in our club sail there every week because they live close and it has reliable afternoon thermals. Some have their monohulls based there as well.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
QuoteWith the early spring, Bear Lake should be nice and "warm" this year! I'll be there sometime in August for a family reunion. I'm keeping the boat a secret from my family until then to make up for nearly making my niece cry when she found out I sold my Catalina 22 before last summer's vaca. My computer screen saver is a shot of the glowing aqua blue water below that boat, which was one big motivation to look for another a week ago. Lucky me!

I was there Memorial day but I didn't sail. Mostly froze my butt off. We stay at Rendesvous Beach. Utah Sailing Association reserves it for the 3 major holiday weekends every year. $100 or so get you all 3 events for 3 nights each. 2 of them have group dinners included. Tent camping and some trailors but parking can be tight.

The Water is very high right now very close to the camp area so no long hikes to the water.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
QuoteAnd thanks again! That would be awesome if you do - though you recognize, of course, that it would even the playing field and your Bumblebee may become a Humblebee when I flip on my nitrous booster rockets ;)

my point exactly, though i seriously wouldn't be surprised if it had rockets... and if it doesn't you should add them!

--

Heber City, UT
--
I posted a link to this thread (with a few pics of Shawn's boat YELLOW JACKET and the NY blue boat), on both the BoatDesign.net site and SailboatData.com site forums. Maybe someone on those forums can offer some insight into the history of this unique design.

I'll post here if anything come up ...

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
Sailed today. Awesome! Nice breeze, did 10-15 knots a lot of the time. Those sharp bows slice through waves like a hot knife through butter.

Put a 15" crack atop one hull which I'll need to reinforce. Jammed 2 liter bottles into the 4" inspection ports (waiting for new ones to be delivered) which worked pretty well, but we still took on a couple gallons of water. Need to create a way to keep the rudders down.

Worst news of all? One dagger board thing came untied, dropped through the hull and was gone long before we noticed.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Shawn! Dude! ... TAKE CARE OF MY BOAT!

QuotePut a 15" crack atop one hull which I'll need to reinforce. Jammed 2 liter bottles into the 4" inspection ports (waiting for new ones to be delivered) which worked pretty well, but we still took on a couple gallons of water.

AAUGH!!! icon_eek

QuoteWorst news of all? One dagger board thing came untied, dropped through the hull and was gone long before we noticed.

NOOOOOOOOO! ... SAY IT ISN'T SOOOOOOOOOO ....!!!!! wallbash

--
AJ
Coastal NC, USA
--
that sucks... but at least you got it out and sailing! Which lake did you take it? you could probably take your other dagger/center board and use it as a template to cut a new one out of high quality plywood then sheath it in fiberglass or something.

--

Heber City, UT
--
OR.. Take the one U have and shop it around to see it one of the "regular" cats dagger board is the same. IMO.. In those days parts were often "lifted" from other boats.. H

--
Hal Liske
Livermore CA
H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
--
that boat is 17'6" right? look at this

http://www.thebeachcats.c…989&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

look at the buyers guide and then banana 5.5

Edited by optikid on Jun 24, 2012 - 09:16 AM.

--
Angelo
1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
SARASOTA, FLORIDA
S.S.S
S.Y.S.P
--
optikidthat boat is 17'6" right? look at this

I was getting very hopeful when it measured exactly 17'6"...but the beam is 7'4" at its widest point instead of the 7'11" mentioned there.

I'm considering renting space on the back of milk cartons. "Have you see me?"

halliskeOR.. Take the one U have and shop it around to see it one of the "regular" cats dagger board is the same. IMO.. In those days parts were often "lifted" from other boats.. H

Good idea. They center boards and rudders are *certainly* newer than the boat itself (as is the rigging). I'll post photos soon.

BadKitty NOOOOOOOOO! ... SAY IT ISN'T SOOOOOOOOOO ....!!!!! wallbash

I am SO, SO SORRY! It will NEVER happen again :)

Venorathat sucks... but at least you got it out and sailing! Which lake did you take it?

Exactly. A test run to see how it flies and what improvements it needs, and it felt GOOD to get out there! Utah Lake.

I *might* know where we lost the center board - we sailed to the Provo River mouth to pick someone up off a kayak and when coming about, I felt some slight resistance while passing near some reeds. But with the current and a 100,000 acre lake...I doubt it's worth going back to look (though I will anyway just to get the thought out of my head).

In the mean time, we'll get another manufactured. Is there a best place to buy epoxy and tint for new gelcoat?

Edited by bananaboat on Jun 24, 2012 - 03:59 PM.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
halliske...see it one of the "regular" cats dagger board is the same. IMO.. In those days parts were often "lifted" from other boats.

I posted a few photos & descriptions of rudders and center board at http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=87625.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87837&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87846&g2_serialNumber=4

Anything look familiar to you guys?

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
I think is more of a centerboard than a Dagger board. Probably rotates to the up position and maybe even kicks up if it hits something. Never seen one like that though.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
QuarathI think is more of a centerboard than a Dagger board. Probably rotates to the up position and maybe even kicks up if it hits something.

That's right. And we successfully built a new one this afternoon! Oh, it's good to have friends with great power tools. It's all cut out, planed, routed, and sanded. Tomorrow I'll pick up some tint for the epoxy and we'll glass it.

Many other great fixes on the way as well!!! I'm pumped. We may get it finished up tomorrow and looking much better than ever!

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
I would consider making 2 new ones while I was at it and save the original for a template.
bananaboat
QuarathI think is more of a centerboard than a Dagger board. Probably rotates to the up position and maybe even kicks up if it hits something.

That's right. And we successfully built a new one this afternoon! Oh, it's good to have friends with great power tools. It's all cut out, planed, routed, and sanded. Tomorrow I'll pick up some tint for the epoxy and we'll glass it.

Many other great fixes on the way as well!!! I'm pumped. We may get it finished up tomorrow and looking much better than ever!
I agree with HULLFLYER if you have the tools to make a new one that quick you might as well make 2 and get all the glassing done at the same time and save the original.

You should bring it to Bear Lake Rendezvous Beach July 5th-8th. There is a little -No Rules- Gumball Rally Race on SAT just for fun. Bring the Family WIllow 3 Campground is reserved by the Sailing Association. I think it is like $50 buck or something for the family for the 3 nights and that includes a group meal SAT night. Either Mexican or Spaghetti I can't remember.

I'll have my P18 and hopefully my FrankenBoat P16 as well. I tried to double stack it and take it up last weekend but didn't get a half mile before I went home and unloaded it. My trailer suspension couldn't handle the weight. I need to find some stuff to get the traps on the P16 (no little blocks for the shockcord). The Hiking straps pretty much disintegrated from sun exposer on the tramp as well.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
QuoteThat's right. And we successfully built a new one this afternoon! Oh, it's good to have friends with great power tools. It's all cut out, planed, routed, and sanded. Tomorrow I'll pick up some tint for the epoxy and we'll glass it.

Glad to hear it. someone did that with plywood on my old cat before i bought it. They just painted it white and left it. It worked great i never bothered to modify it. Must have been marine plywood.

QuoteYou should bring it to Bear Lake Rendezvous Beach July 5th-8th. There is a little -No Rules- Gumball Rally Race on SAT just for fun. Bring the Family WIllow 3 Campground is reserved by the Sailing Association. I think it is like $50 buck or something for the family for the 3 nights and that includes a group meal SAT night. Either Mexican or Spaghetti I can't remember.

That sounds awesome, and i REALLY wish i could go too, but i have to work, and already used all my PTO icon_frown In fact, my avatar picture was taken at rendezvous beach when we vacationed up there last year. I love it there

Edited by Venora on Jun 30, 2012 - 07:03 PM.

--

Heber City, UT
--
Finally got around to uploading some photos from the restoration:http://www.thebeachcats.…ictures/?g2_itemId=88865

Taking it to Bear Lake on Monday!

Edited by bananaboat on Aug 03, 2012 - 04:19 PM.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Looks good! What type of paint did you use? I'll be looking to re-paint mine at some point. Probably the same color you used.

Have fun up at Bear Lake. I wish i had time to go all the way up there. I'll have mine out on Willard Bay Monday.

--

Heber City, UT
--
Both of you should come run the LaBeaus LeMans Grand Prix 20 with us on Sept 1st at Bear Lake.

--
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
I would love to but its pretty much impossible for me to get saturdays off. icon_frown

Oh and Shaun, i'm pretty sure i saw you driving up highway 40 today just outside of Heber around 6:30 with your cat. (Unless it was someone else with the same boat...) At first i thought it was another Sol Cat, but then i saw that unmistakable front spar. Looks good! I was going to go sailing as well but the forecast called for "light and variable winds around 5 knots" oh well.

--

Heber City, UT
--
Good news & bad news, kinda sorta. I've enjoyed sailing my gorgeous catamaran but am planning to move this winter and can't take it with me.

I thought I'd give you guys a shot at it first if anyone wants to make an offer.
(I know some of you who only have 3 boats are looking to fill an empty spot in your heart :)

FYI I put another $400 and at least 40 hours into what was a steal in the first place.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
VenoraOh and Shaun, i'm pretty sure i saw you driving up highway 40 today just outside of Heber around 6:30 with your cat.

Yep, that was me, btw! And yep, Bear Lake winds were fairly mild all week, other than a brief frontal passage that I sadly missed :( Still felt great to be out on that blue water on the boat, though, and using the trapeze wires even if we never flew a hull :)

Edited by bananaboat on Oct 15, 2012 - 09:05 PM.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Hello again, everyone. Thought I'd let you know that I'm planning to sell this unique vintage piece of sailing history soon. I'll ask 1,500 obo, and wanted to tell you first, because I'd feel a lot better seeing it fall into the hands of someone who appreciates it. Any interest at all??

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
bananaboatHello again, everyone. Thought I'd let you know that I'm planning to sell this unique vintage piece of sailing history soon. I'll ask 1,500 obo, and wanted to tell you first, because I'd feel a lot better seeing it fall into the hands of someone who appreciates it. Any interest at all??

Put it in the Classifieds here with some good pictures. Got any pics of it sailing?

I guess we never nailed down exactly what this is and where it came from?

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

--
If you look in the Classifieds under "Cats Wanted", there is a guy looking for a P-Cat.
there is a P-cat for sale here at this time. don't know how long it will be listed.
j
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/boa/3708905417.html
http://images.craigslist.org/3F53L33J15Ea5K15J5d3s9eb032a9e46a1aa5.jpg

--
Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
'99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
--
Thanks for the tips.

I listed it for 1500, and just dropped it to 1200, and I'm very flexible if any of you guys are still at all interested.

My best guess at this point is that it's a P-Cat version without the hard deck that didn't get mass produced.

--
Shaun
Orem, UT
--
Here is another example of a similar cat.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/7115