Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Pulling up mast from turtle  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteThis submerges the bow and the boat will turn into wind, slowly.

I find on my 5.7 that it doesn't work very well. I stood on those suckers for 15 minutes one day, with no movement. If you are trying to drag the sail "backwards" through the water, it is painfully slow, or not at all. Perhaps more weight, to sink the bow further,(create more drag) would help.
    The mast can be swum quite easily, as long as you go in the direction of the leading edge of the mast. I did this, swum it 270* from mast being dead upwind. You have to be quick though, as the drag of the mast/sail wants to let the hulls move downwind, back into the same position you were in,(mast upwind)
    The description given was for a 15' boat, maybe it is way easier on the smaller boats.
    That link Damon was one I found while in Shanghai yesterday, quite a bit of good info. It seems like there is a good fleet of those boats, but not much personal experience on the web. I found one other link that showed the first sentence of a write up, but the link wouldn't go.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I flipped my P16 last summer a few times while sailing with my buddy. We liked to push the limits on our hull flying. Turns out I had holes in the mast & each time we flipped the mast got a little heavier. One day while solo I flipped it on accident when I missed the hook going out on the wire. I went in the drink and in my attempt to keep from falling in I simultaneously pulled on the tiller and the main sheet causing the boat to jibe and promptly flip! With all the water in the mast from previous flips it quickly turned turtle. I just happened to have recently read the technique for getting a boat on its side from turtle in Catamaran Sailing From Start To Finish by Berman. I'm going to quote here cuz it worked like a dream even with a mast pretty much FULL of water. I'm 6'2, 170 btw.

"Standing on the leward hull, hang onto the righting line and lean outboard as far as possible. The righting line will make balancing your weight a lot easier. The whole operation should be done with your car floating crossways to the wind. If you're doing it right your cats windward hull should slowly rise." (pg 88)

Took maybe 60 seconds and the mast was out of the water. With it full of water I couldn't get it any further however and needed help from harbor patrol to lift the mast about 6-8 feet out of the water before I could right the damn thing. The next day I drilled a 1/4" hole at the bottom & that thing poured water for at least 5 min non-stop!!

I'm a bit surprised that the members here aren't more familiar with these methods. I immersed myself in that book and this forum before I took my boat out when I got it three summers ago. Then again I'm safety conscious from 17 years of lifeguarding and sail solo on the ocean, but seemed like a pretty normal first step to me for boats known to flip.

-Scott

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.