Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supercat 17  Bottom

• I just got an old Supercat 17 and need to get the mast up. It seems too tall and heavy to just lift it up. Does this boat use a gin pole or other rig for raising the mast? The boat came with misc. parts, but is also missing many parts.
  • try a search on "solo mast raising", supercat likely to be much the same as hobie16, hobie18, nacra 5.2 etc
  • The mast on a SC17 can be a bear to raise without adequate help, it is hard to believe that it weighs less than 60 pounds, but it does.

Here is how I do it. First attach the stays to the boat. If you have extenders on the stays open them up. Get the bridle wires ready to attach to the forestay make sure you have a clevis ready to go. Tie 20 feet of line to the forestay. Secure the mast to the ball on the front beam with a stainless pin. It never hurts to put a little lube on the ball first. Have your partner walk the mast tip into the air. Get on the tramp. Put the mast on your shoulder, then start walking it forward while your partner pulls on the rope that was attached to the forestay. Once the mast is upright you need to hold it in place while the forestay is attached.

Naturally this process is easier with three people. Aquarius sells a ginpole that does a dandy job if you need to raise the mast by yourself or with a smaller person as a helper.

The SC 17 is a wonderful cat. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
  • Of all the cats we have the SC17 is the hardest mast to raise on my own, even the 5.8 is easier on my own. The SC mast is just such an enourmous section and as large as masts on the 19 feet boats.
    The SC is absolutely easy to sail in light weather. But once it gets honking it is very much boat to handle.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • There's a reason for that. The SuperCat 17 used the same mast as the 19. It is an exceptionally tall mast for a 17' cat, especially, a daggerless 17'. Enjoy the power advantages of a mast engineered for a 19' SC on a 17' SC. But you'll have to accept the liabilty of getting your back into it to get it up. cheers.
  • I have a SC17 also and the mast is a struggle to get up as I am usually doing it on my own with my preteen helping by catching the fore stay and pinning them to the bridle wires. I just grunt it up from the back of the tramp with the side stays attached. Pinning the bottom of the mast gives me a bit of reassurance from popping out. I find getting it down harder from an effort stand point as I want to be gentle with the traveller track. I've been thinking about adding a little hand crank winch to the top of the front mast craddle pole on the trailer to winch the mast up with the fore stay but haven't got that far yet. Course a carbon mast would be the most fun. I've found Aquarius great to deal with for getting parts and stuff.

Enjoy yours, Carson

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • I rig a simple block and tackle that runs from the back of my truck works great up or down
  • I rig a simple block and tackle that runs from the back of my truck works great up or down
  • I know the problem! I made a gin pole rig that is similar to those sold online but much cheaper.
    It works great but you must have a way to hold the boat in place (tied down)
    and I use a winch to raise and lower the mast.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.