Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

continuous trapeze / j hook question  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• Wow! That is a thing of beauty! Great job on the boat!

How did the hull fill with water? Did you find the leak?

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • well the one cap had come off the end of the tramp beam and I suspect the water was going in there where the bolts go through the hull. I Sealed it up today and tested it by filling the hull with water.. there wasn't any coming out anywhere so I'm pretty sure I got it. No nice wind in the forecast though so may be a few days before I can give it the real test. We also forget to paint the rudders, Other than that everything worked out great, Cant wait for some decent wind to get the hull flying!!
  • Not that it matters now but I wouldn't test for leaks by filling the hulls with water, that could cause more problems than it's worth. Usually you attach a piece of garden hose to the drain plug and blow into it, someone can then look for leaks or brush areas with soapy water. You can also use a hair dryer or vacuum, but even that much pressure could damage the hulls.

Hmm, interesting that the bolts go through to the inside of the hull but weren't sealed. Hopefully that solves your problem, like I found, even small cracks can cause large amounts of water to enter the hulls while you are moving. I would suggest using a really good marine sealant/adhesive like 3M 5200. That stuff works awesome for sealing rivts and when putting fittings in the hull (like eye straps for a trapeze etc). Once dry it acts like a super strong flexible adhesive, quite impressive.

The rudders look fine from the pics anyway. Cool shape.

That is one sweet looking boat, I would like to know more about her.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Im pretty sure thats a Freestyle 474. It looks almost identical to my boat and the description seems appropriate. Only thing is it looks like the mast might be added with the Hobie sail. Not positive tho because the only side shot is it in the grass and iv never had mine sit in the grass. The rudder shape and the assembly look identical. What kind of hobie sail do you got on there? I'd like to add an a newer sail to mine.

edited by: ryman522, May 31, 2010 - 04:40 AM
  • Im not sure I just bought the boat this year with no info about it. The mast is 25 foot, I can measure the sail if you want
  • So I was out sailing today on the wolf beast and had a catastrophic tramp blow out. The whole side and half the backed ripped and almost went for a swim. We were moving a long pretty good when it happened so it was a pretty funny scare, lol. We made it back alright was just a little tricky sailing the one way after that. We also almost pitchpoled, I shifted my weight to the center so coil up a loose rope and the wind picked up a lot just as I shifted and we started to lift and with my weight in the center the low hull went under somehow we avoided the pitch-pole still not sure how, lol So if anyone has an old tramp lying around let me know, were desperate right now and cant afford a new one with a baby on the way. all in all a fun day , and NO leaks!!

-Matt
  • Oh man that's not good. You will probably have to get one made up custom. There are a few guys who do them relatively inexpensively. Tampa Catamarans could probably hook you up for $200ish. Unlikely that you will be able to find one that fits used or cheaper than that.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.