Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

continuous trapeze / j hook question  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I think you are correct. This looks like a Supercat 15 UNI.
    Dan Berger has one of these, maybe he can help out.

Here's a link to a pic of his cat.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=64747

Hmm not quite the right shape. Maybe a different year?

edited by: Wolfman, May 04, 2010 - 04:52 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • It is very similar to that one but its got more of the nacra shape to the hulls.... I emailed the guy I got it from to see if he had any more info on it, No reply yet. I also ordered stuff to setup a high - low adjustable trapeze on each side, forget the j hooks.... really looking forward to the summer. I'll be sure to post some pics of her when we get her back together, and any news I find out about her history. All the help is really appreciated. hopefully we can find out what she is.
  • That would be great, looks like it will be a fun boat. Does it actually have dagger boards? I thought I saw dagger board wells but can't really tell.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Ya it has dagger boards.
  • not a Supercat at all because the bow tangs are too far back and the bottom of the bows are not round (too squared off).
  • I got my trapeze stuff in today to setup a high-low adjustable on each side. cant wait to get this baby back together, just waiting on the hatches, and one more coat of paint and clear then back together. Here is the pic I drew up for the graphics, the white is done and looking good, gonna tape it up once we have a few nice days....

http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/47183/2664772890104341373S600x600Q85.jpg
  • The only boat I can figure out that it could be, is silly. It looks like a Nacra 14sq. But I don't think that they were ever manufactured in North America.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • only thing is that they are boomless. not sure if they were always built that way or that is a new thing.... its definitely that shape though. I never did hear back from the person I bought it off. It's a mystery!
  • How about some more pictures, boards, rudders, boom, mast base, top of mast?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Yeah, pics of the rudder and mast step system would be very helpful. They tend to be unique to each manufacturer. It could be a kit boat or prototype of some sort after all, there are quite a few kicking around out there. Heck there is a climax 18 for sale on the classifieds here, there probably were only 3 or 4 of those ever made.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • haha, I'll take some more pictures as it is going back together. I can post some of the painting process as well and the rebuild. We finished the trailer and it looks great. hopefully it warms up this work so we can continue the hulls...
  • Here is the system I got. I may have to adjust the length of the adjuster line but its just what I had so I can cut it shorter if need be. Any suggestion please let me know!!!

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/43917/2178484990104341373S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/27763/2692222200104341373S600x600Q85.jpg
  • looks right to me (with the exception you noted of to much line. you can remove the extra once you've had it on the boat and see what is correct).

i have a t handle after the stopper ball on my set up. its pretty easy to fumble with that little stopper ball when trying to pull yourself up (adjust higher) to get out of the way of a wave or similar... if you have weight on it (you on the wire hanging over the side of the cat) and it gives me a much better grip. the only reason i keep the ball on there is if you slip and the entire system pay's out (lowers you)... the handle can jam in the cleat/ or be out of reach for me
  • That definitely sounds like a good idea! I'm not sure I'm using the right rope for it. I've got soft hollow braid so its got some give to it, just what I had on hand. Will that be alright or should I swap it out for some stiffer rope?
  • to be honest not sure what hollow braid is.. but if it has no core and is only a jacket i would go with something stronger.

you can use cheap xls (extra low stretch) and shouldn't cost much at all.

u should inspect your trap line (and cables) for frays every now and again. I have heard several stories of people taking unexpected "baths". the guy i bought my cat from told me he was on the wire and noticed a few freys, went to pull himself in and they went "ding, ding ding - SPLASH" i wish i saw that.. :)

one note about the t handle. i use one just like pictured above. i had to cut down the end a bit to fit my line through it. you will never get that line you are using through a handle without drilling..
  • yah just looked at it a little closer, it does have a core but is soft and just feels like it will stretch a lot. going to swap it out for some stiffer stuff...
  • Yeah, make sure you use quality rope for those types of controls (sta-set or a relatively inexpensive sailing rope works fine).

No hardware store stuff or your hands will never forgive you. It's also no fun when a cheap line gets wet and stretches to twice its normal length dragging your butt in the water.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • QuoteNo hardware store stuff or your hands will never forgive you. It's also no fun when a cheap line gets wet and stretches to twice its normal length dragging your butt in the water.

well it's no fun for the dragee, but it's a hoot for the other skippers :)
  • Well, I got the paint finished and got it all back together. had it out for a sail yesterday but the wind was pretty light and I forgot to put the one end cap on the beam so it was filling up with water. spent all day today sealing everything with silicone and making sure its all sealed tight, filled the hulls with water and didn't have any leaks. So if it cant get out it shouldn't get in right... anyway Here is a pic of it on the grass after I was done working on it. Will get an action shot next time we take it out. Turned out really nice.

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/5820/2704541610104341373S600x600Q85.jpg
  • just found out my uncle too some action shots

http://jgleed.com/LaurinBoatLaunches/images/dsc_4763.jpg

Few more here http://jgleed.com/LaurinBoatLaunches/index.html

You can see in a couple how low the hull is riding, when we got in it was over half full of water.. lol

edited by: mattie411, May 30, 2010 - 05:33 PM

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.