Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

solo sailing / wearing harness  Bottom

• I've been out on my cat about half dozen times now and getting the hang of it. However, I have yet to hike out solo. My question is, what's the best technique? How do you hike out while holding on to the hiking stick and main sheet? Second, how do you stay hooked up if you're moving in and out due to changes in wind speed and direction? Seems easy to become disconnected when moving off the trampoline and falling overboard.

edited by: gregjenx, Jun 26, 2010 - 07:13 AM
  • I found this on Trapeze Sailing - http://www.ehow.com/how_2…0_trapeze-catamaran.html

Is this accurate? Apply differently when sailing solo?

edited by: gregjenx, Jun 26, 2010 - 09:53 AM
  • if your trap set up pulls up on the ring with a shock cord, you shouldn't have any issue with it falling off.

I slide my butt over the edge of the hull, which drops me a few inches, then bring my aft leg up until I can get my heel on the edge of the hull, then push.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I would recommend having someone else on the boat with you when you first try to go out on the wire as the skipper. They could always sit on the other hull to offset your weight out on the wire, this way you could try in lighter air. Also practice on shore before going out, again with someone sitting on the other hull.

I usually put the main sheet and tiller in the same hand while getting out on the wire. That way you have one hand free. You just need to practice and see what works best for you.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I take the mainsheet with my forward facing hand, give it slack, grab the handle (from underneath) as I scoot my but out then, bending a knee, hook a heel on the edge of the boat. Use the opposite hand from the foot you are using and push with both then viola you are trapped out. You want this to be second nature if you are solo. Before you hook up on the new tack make sure the main is eased out for safety. If you are fumbling around not paying attention then there is a window of time where you are vulnerable to a knock down puff.

edited by: windvane, Jun 27, 2010 - 08:02 PM
  • I sail solo all the time on my Nacra 5.2. What I do is set up the trap lines on the beach first. I set them up so I can sit on the hull hooked in and hook in and out without lifting my butt off the hull and without looking. It really needs to work by feel only. The shock cord keeps the ring hooked in (my harness also has a rubber catch on the hook).

The result is I'm trapping a little higher than I would consider ideal for mechanical leverage. OTOH, this prevents waves from knocking me off the boat and allows me to get back on faster.

When I do miss my foot hold there are two things I do, depending on speed. If at speed, let legs trail for a second then violently kick down at the water, this will allow me to swing my upper body back onto the hull at the same time. I have booties that strap on tight, so they don't get sucked off my feet by this move!

If there's not much speed I usually just swing my legs up first and grab whatever I can to pull up my upper body.

The helm is also set up neutrally so I can let the stick go for a couple of seconds if I need to.

Regards,
    Dennis

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.