Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SLO Sail and Canvas Tramps  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Ayyyeee icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek .....
    Andrew sorry to hear that. Sounds like really bad customer service. I had a really good experience with Slo sails, I wonder what happened?!?...Also recently had good experience with Tampa Bay catamarans.

Actually should probably plug Tampa Bay...got a new tramp for the H21...it is great they put quite a few more grommets on the center (less stress on each grommet)...so far so good...
  • QuoteI had a really good experience with Slo sails, I wonder what happened?!?

most people on this site said they did as well,.. thats why i gave him a try. i am just pissed i have to replace my friends tramp now along with a new one for me... thats about 1200 for 2 new tramps.... grrrrr
  • Wow bummer of a plug for SLO. We had heard nothing but good until this bad experience. It will stick in everyone's minds more than the good. Just goes to show how customer service is important for every job no matter how small. So many cat sailors view this here that it is sure a lot of potential customers lost for SLO.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • That is why i haven't posted anything until now. Besides the one person above (azcat) who said Karl "fell off the earth" everyone said he had good service. By the time he wrote that post, i already couldn't get Karl to return an email or call me...

Trust me, i would rather have good news, and a tramp. I even told him i sail with a fleet of mysteres and this could lead to lots of business if it all turned out well....

I have exhausted all other options next to a lawsuit. and i have looked into that (and it will happen if he doesn't return the tramp, regardless of cost to me).

it will cost me $200 to file a claim to get back a used tramp that isn't worth much. and then i have to pay to have him served.

the only reason i would do that is, (besides to get the tramp back) that he could (not will) be found liable for my court costs and legal fees.. so i am hunting for a very very very good (and expensive) lawyer to take this silly little case on contingency.
  • Let us know if you hear anything....
  • andrewscott

the only reason i would do that is, (besides to get the tramp back) that he could (not will) be found liable for my court costs and legal fees.. so i am hunting for a very very very good (and expensive) lawyer to take this silly little case on contingency.

That's beyond ridiculous.
  • Headhunter
    andrewscott

That's beyond ridiculous.

what's ridiculous? suing the guy to get my property back and hoping he has to pay my legal and court fees?

i think it would be great if he was found guilty, and ordered to return my tramp, and then had a few 1000 in legal fees... just rewards for his "customer service"
  • The really unfortunate thing is that Andrew has to resort to a lawsuit. Here in Canada we are much less litigious than in the US. However, if this case is accurate,(we only have the facts from one side), then I think Andrew should sue, for the reurn of his property & costs.
    If there are problems with the company, personal or otherwise, it would be very simple for SLO to simply return an email, And tell the guy that he can't do the work, & return his original tramp. Even if he went bankrupt, then started up again, I would try him. With this situation, there is no way I would take a risk.
    Good luck Andrew, I'll send you a 6 pack to ease the pain, both financially & mentally of having to go through this.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks E.C.
    I don't drink beer, but i will let you buy me a rummie if your ever in our neck of the woods. :)

Posting here and on the other cat site was an attempt to get some movement. someone on the other site said he called Karl and told him to look at the thread. Hopefully he will contact me and return the damn thing

It was stated that he has contracts with Murry's and North Sails and that is why he is so busy. They also said he is moving to a bigger facility...

Again, i would have much preferred to get a tramp, post great results and send him business.
  • Very shocking Karl replaced my Nacra 5.5sl tramp fast when the first one did not fit he did the same for another Nacra 5.5sl owner I know here in Houston. He even threw in new tramp lace and paid the return shipping for me to send the old one back to him. Sorry to hear this happend to you Andrew.
  • Was about to order a tramp for a Prindle 15 from SLO and just noticed this thread. I am in Aus so I would rather not have any issues that might require me to send it back or worse.

I will wait and see how this is resolved before I order one.
  • Ok, it is August 8, 2010. Wish I had read this thread before I ordered a sail from SLO. I agree with Andrew. My experience has been poor so far. I see others have other opinions, but personally I wouldn't deal with Karl Deardorff at SLO Sail and Canvas again.

edited by: pliny, Aug 09, 2010 - 05:00 PM
  • plinyOk, it is August 8, 2010. Wish I had read this thread before I ordered a sail from SLO. I agree with Andrew. My experience has been poor so far. I see others have other opinions, but personally I wouldn't deal with Karl Deardorff at SLO Sail and Canvas again.

when did you order it?
    when did you expect it back?
  • I ordered a new tramp from them anyway and paying with paypal gives the buyer some security.

I will keep people informed as to when I receive it etc.

Hopefully these are just isolated incidents and I get a good quality tramp that fits like original and I receive it in a timely manner.

I paid extra for Teflon thread so hopefully this tramp will last a long time in the hot Aussie sun.

If you read this thread at some point SloSails, make me a good one please :)
  • andrewscott - any update on your tramp situation from SLO? I am considering replacing mine this off season.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Quoteandrewscott - any update on your tramp situation from SLO? I am considering replacing mine this off season.

2 people from the other site said they called Karl (and talked with him)

a friend wrote to SLO canvas, and they replied to him

they have yet to contact me in any way

i called his store, and got voice mail again

I will post if i get it back..
  • I e-mailed TampaCats about a tramp for a P18, here is the reply I got:-
    QuoteHi Turbo,

Thanks for writing. Unfortunately, we are only fabricating for Hobies at this time.

Best regards,

Rose

icon_confused

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboI e-mailed TampaCats about a tramp for a P18, here is the reply I got:-
    QuoteHi Turbo,

Thanks for writing. Unfortunately, we are only fabricating for Hobies at this time.

Best regards,

Rose

icon_confused

that sucks.

SUNRISE YACHT PRODUCTS - http://www.multihullnets.com/

on the other forum site just about everybody swears by sunrise. my tramp is from them and it was very well made.. only normal wear and tear. i had them make my custom front tramp.. they were great to work with, superb job... i will use them next time for sure.. it only hurts in the wallet for a while... but hey, a tramp is more important that food right?
  • I like Performance Catamaran but you got to admit Hobie Cat is the GM of the Catamaran world thats why I always tell newbies to get a Hobie for your first boat they are everywhere and so are parts & info and you can buy them cheap and sell them easy too. Turbohobo and others if you buy a SLO sails trampoline do it thru Ebay then you have recourse via paypal & feedback I just got ripped off on some carbo blocks on Ebay I escalated it thru paypal and got all my money back because the seller did not respond Good Luck! or try this place and give us feedback http://www.atomictarp.com/sailing/sailing.html

edited by: fa1321, Aug 13, 2010 - 12:20 PM
  • I ordered a new tramp a few days ago from Slo and am quite happy with the transaction so far. They have answered all my emails quite quickly.

They have included an extra halyard pocket for free and when I asked could I add lacing lines to my order they told me they will include them for this order which I certainly appreciate.

I am looking forward to seeing my new tramp which will be finished early this next week. Shipping to Australia was $68 which isn't bad for a heavy parcel half way around world.

When I get it I might post some pics.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.