Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 21SE sails for sale?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I've found a 21se I may be interested in, but the sails are shot. Anyone know someone with a decent set of sails they would be willing to part with? I'm looking for a set that will last 2 seasons or so and don't look like butt.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • When you are looking for new sails whirlwind makes awesome sails for the 21SE. Also seen Elliot Pattison sails that look really nice too for the 21. Sorry don't know of any used out there.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks. I did take a look at whirlwind, and they look nice. I wish I had new sails in the budget.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23I've found a 21se I may be interested in, but the sails are shot. Anyone know someone with a decent set of sails they would be willing to part with? I'm looking for a set that will last 2 seasons or so and don't look like butt.

How bad are the sails with the boat? A good sailmaker can do quality repairs to an old sail to keep it going. Bolt ropes can be replaced, rips fixed, windows replaced, etc.

They didn't make a lot of Hobie 21se since it was a specialty boat (built specifically for a pro race circuit) and only produced from about 1988 to 1992, so there are not going to be a lot of used sails laying around. Something to consider when buying one of those.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yeah, I know this is pretty much a shot in the dark. I just thought I'd ask and see. Their are no quality sail makers/repairers within at least 120 miles of me, and it is probably more like 300 miles. The sails are faded, demalinating, stained, frayed, etc. I could probably limp a few sails out of them, but sailing in a large bay with old worn out sails and my family on board is just a recipe for disaster.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • So... it looks like Whirlwind sails lost their website. Are they still in business?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • So... it looks like Whirlwind sails lost their website. Are they still in business?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • The Whirlwind site is back up
    chump23So... it looks like Whirlwind sails lost their website. Are they still in business?
  • What area are you in?

If they have any delamination, they are toast. At my loft, we can exceed the value of the sail very quickly trying to repair that.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I'm in south Texas, near South Padre Island, and thanks for the definitive. I was fairly certain they were gone.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • +1 for whirlwind

The website seems fine

http://www.whirlwindsails.com/

If the boat basically has no sails, you should be able to negotiate the boat price down more than you think. Then use the saved cash to get new sails. A new set of sails will basically make your boat perform "as new" and add a great deal to enjoyment of the sport.

BTW, is this going to be your first catamaran?

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Slo Sail And Canvas
    http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/hobie-21-se/

Also makes a good sail and has choices for the Hobie 21SE, between the sites mentioned at least you'll get a realistic idea what new sails would really cost, might not be as bad as you thought.

Absolutely nothing makes you feel better about your boat than new sails.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Slo Sail And Canvas is the worst vender I have ever dealt with

I sent them a trampoline as a template, they asked for me to get more measurements from my boat tramp track (as they had never built a mystere tramp before) but they never did the work, never returned the tramp, stopped returned my calls after a while

I would not ever recommend them and will go out of my way (ever chance I get) to spread the word.

sorry, I know you long time thebeachcats.com members have heard this many time before
  • This will be my first cat, but I have logged many hours on h16's. I used to give lessons and take people for joy rides as a summer job in high school. One of my friends also had two 16's. At the time, he and I were the youngest to ever sail the Rough Rider Regada from SPI to Corpus Christi.

I have made offfer that is quit a bit lower than his asking price in order to leave room in my budget for new sails. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • So the 6oz dacron sails are just fine, right?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • We've heard it too many times Andrew and we all figure there's another side to it. I get excellent service from SLO and order 1/2 dozen to dozen tramps a year. Pete
  • pbegleWe've heard it too many times Andrew

Yes, we all have... icon_rolleyes
    I would pledge a $50 for you old tramp so we do hear about it ever again. Who is with me?

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I am glad you get good service

I am sure there is another side too...
    I am sure I got under his skin after the 3rd or 4th call when I (very politely and professionally) inquired with him why my tramp wasn't completed (weeks if not months after the promise date). I then waited 4 months to post anything about SLO sail and Canvas

but he is not professional or honorable enough to contact me with his side/reasons or to just return the tramp I sent him, or make good for it (as it wasn't even mine)

I heard on catsailor.com from people who know him personally and that reached out to him about this very issue that he:
    a. got busy with orders from Murray's
    b. was in the middle of moving to a bigger facility
    c. was pissed (months later) that I posted negatively about him/SLO Sail and Canvas

None of those are a good reason to not do the work promised, and much more importantly, returning the tramp I sent him as a template.

QuoteWe've heard it too many times Andrew

I am not writing this for the benefit of people who have heard it before, but for the benefit of people who haven't. i.e. someone buying their first catamaran

Feel free to skip over my comments if they bug you

Edited by MN3 on Jun 29, 2016 - 12:48 PM.
  • I'm just glad I live in Ca. where I don't ever stand the chance of meeting you. Particularily after your diatribe against Rick on the other site for his innocuous emails promoting his site to try to pay the bills. Pete
  • that's ok. I'm not here to make you my buddy.
    I'll take you off the x-mas card list.

my "innocuous" email was not against Rick trying to make a buck, it was telling him that his lack of a working optout, and harvesting of emails were poor practices and borderline illegal. there was no malice in my post.
    But what do I know, I've only been working with emails and newsletters for 20 years and Can-Spam laws since they started in 2003

And most people agreed w me that they were annoying and not a good marketing practice

YMMV -

Edited by MN3 on Jun 29, 2016 - 03:16 PM.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.