Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 beams  Bottom

• I'm going to get rid of that front beam meat slicer Hobie calls a cleat, the one used for the furling line.
    It seems the beams are plugged fairly well with those castings that go into the ends. I will have to drill at least one new hole to hold the new clam cleat.
    Do I need to worry about sealing the rivets?
    I'm thinking there must be a way for any water getting into the beams to drain...?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Does not need to be sealed. The slots on the bottom of the beam for the dolphin striker rod are a big drain opening.

sm
  • QuoteThe slots on the bottom of the beam for the dolphin striker rod are a big drain opening.

I get it. I was thinking the DS rod, & the beam is arched, & would "fill up".
    I get you, forgot about the way the DS tightens up at beam ends.
    Thanks for all your knowledge.
    I'm not totally in love with the H18 vs the N5.7.
    The Nacra is simpler, faster, but slightly harder to right from capsize. vs H18, we spilled it the other day, I'd read on the Hobie forum about turtle, but the old style AL mast doesn't turtle, as long as you get onto the bottom wing. It came up easily with the bag.
    I like the EPO rudders, once I cleaned the spring/plunger, & greased them.(The delrin srews came out easy). I like how the rudders just snap down.
    I'm still working on finesse, the H18 reels them in down wind, but I have to concentrate on every move to pass a lowly N 5.0 in pure boat speed on a reach. I can't get the boards totally down, but the Nacra, with skeg hulls is VERY close in pointing ability, as long as the skipper buries the lee hull.
    we had a 5 man regatta today, all 5 boats different. I beat my neighbor, who sailed an A Cat, with foiling hulls. He is still working out his home built foils. He should have kicked my azz, but I had better boat speed on a reach.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.