Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 21SE sails for sale?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• One of my friends here in Sacramento just bought new sails for his 21SE, and his boat came with 2 sets when he bought it. I don't know if he still has them or not, but I can ping him if you'd like.

-Eric
  • This thread got kind of derailed, so I forgot about it. I didn't end up buying the boat. It needed more work than I had time to deal with. Thanks for the response. I've found a Nacra 5.0 at a good price that appears to be in really nice shape. It isn't what I ultimately want, but will satisfy the need to get on the water with my family. If everyone enjoys it, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a bigger boat.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • those are extremely different boats

If room for a family is what is needed, I would keep looking vs buying something that will make it uncomfortable for the family to sit on - thus reducing the desire for a big family boat

QuoteIt isn't what I ultimately want, but will satisfy the need to get on the water with my family. If everyone enjoys it, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a bigger boat.
  • I understand, but my family is only 4, and $1,200 vs $4,500 or more is talking right now. I've sailed Hobie 16's with 4 people many times, and the Nacra 5.0 has got to be better than that, right?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I would look for an 18 if you plan 4 people often.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I would love a bigger boat, but my options is south texas are extremely limited, and considering I plan on sailing in the Laguna Madre which averages about 3' deep. That pretty much negates dagger boards. I have a wanted add for a Hobie 21 SE/SC, Mystere 6.0/5.5, or Nacra 5.7, but I doubt one will become available in my price range nearby. So... I think this may be a good temporary boat until I find a bigger one. I should have no trouble selling this one for what I may buy it for.

Any flaws in my logic?

I think my family's total weight would be a bit under 500 lbs.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Quoteand the Nacra 5.0 has got to be better than that, right?

why do you think this? they are both 16' boats, the same size tramp area (I think) and has even less buoyancy in the hulls (I think).

Sure there is enough room (physically) for 4 full size adults, or 40 umpa-lumpa's but that doesn't make it good idea. both the 16 and 18 are 2 person boats

put 4 people on either boat and the skipper can not move about the boat (switch sides) during a tack
    also if you get any real wind the 2 people on the windward side will get very wet, and may actually simply debark the boat unexpectedly

I wouldn't allow 4 people on my 5.5 meter boat despite having a lot more room on my tramp (unless they were very small and sexy women) - the boat would handle like crap, it would not be comfortable (again unless they were sexy) , not fun and in all honesty not really safe to overload any boat - esp with precious cargo

that being said: I have done it. my first season sailing an 18, I gave 3 people a ride home from an island party and I had 4 adults on my h18. it was sunset and very light wind. we all had smiles as we passed my single paddle around and each took turns paddling us home. And then ... the wind picked up. My 2 forward passengers were flooded with water and the boat was burying the bows. any more wind and we would have gone in the drink.

So you can spend $1200 and get a boat that wont realty fit your needs - and everyone will be unhappy and probably never want to sail again

or you can take your time and find the right boat, regardless of the fact that it will cost a lot more to do it right.
  • OK... good points. icon_frown
    Thanks for being frank about it.

Crap, I suppose I'll wait. There is a nice 21SE a few hours away, I just can't afford it at the moment. Maybe he'll drop the price this fall.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23OK... good points. icon_frown
    Thanks for being frank about it.

Crap, I suppose I'll wait. There is a nice 21SE a few hours away, I just can't afford it at the moment. Maybe he'll drop the price this fall.

There is a Supercat 20 in Austin in the classifieds http://www.thebeachcats.c…09-1980-supercat-20.html a boat that can truly handle 4 crew at once. $3,000 and weighs less than the Hobie 21SE.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Right, but it also has 3.5' long dagger boards. Can I cut them down, and still sail upwind? I've thought a lot about that boat, but it has two trailers to drag home. Can I stack them somehow?

Edited by chump23 on Jul 13, 2016 - 03:24 PM.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • QuoteThanks for being frank about it.

:) no problem - I'm a straight shooter and don't often "flower" up my tone

there are other options besides a h21 for a family of 4
    there is the supercat 20
    dart 20
    miracle 20
    gcat21
    mystere 6.0 (same crew space/size as my 5.5) but would be fine with wings
    and others I am sure

most of these boats have tall rigs and besides the dart 20 are all pretty powerful crafts. not sure if they are the right boat for a family of 4. all depends on skipper and first mate's skill level, kids ability to follow orders and
    surf conditions

heck even a getaway with wings could be a good family boat
  • chump23Right, but it also has 3.5' long dagger boards.....

Don't worry about it. Boarded boats are easy to sail in shallow water. Just raise them to a shallower depth than the rudders. When your rudders release in the shallows you are now essentially in the same predicament as a boardless boat.

--
    Philip
    --
  • The SC20 does well with daggerboards part way down. I think the SC19 had a board less option with the same basic hull design. If I recall as long as you drive the nose down a little it provides some horizontal resistance. the rudders have a sacrificial plastic dowel that is designed to protect the transom, wouldn't depend on it, but nice to have. 12' wide boat is a handful to setup, and I would not recommend trailer sailing it.

Check the Aquarius sailing forum I think there is info there about th board less versions of th Supercats.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • While I agree that trailer sailing the SC20 has downsides, it is the only way we've ever done it! It takes about and hour to assemble and another hour to tear down once you know what you're doing, maybe a little faster. It all comes down to if you enjoy it or not. I do. icon_smile Typically it isn't windy in the mornings when we put it together and I like being off the water before sunset and it is a nice way to end the day by sunset. But I'll admit I'm probably in the minority here.
  • I live about 500 yards from the local marina, and would only be trailering it on residential roads. I intend to leave any boat I purchase full width on the trailer. As long as the marina gate is more than 12 feet! icon_eek

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • And there are no overhead power lines or limbs that the mast will hit. But yeah, if you have plans like that the SC20 would be great. I really do love that boat which is why it gets to live inside. icon_smile
  • chump23Right, but it also has 3.5' long dagger boards. Can I cut them down, and still sail upwind? I've thought a lot about that boat, but it has two trailers to drag home. Can I stack them somehow?Edited by chump23 on Jul 13, 2016 - 03:24 PM.

Bring help along and you can stack the trailers. We went 2 hours once for a free H16. brought our trailer and planned on just bringing the boat home. After beachwheeling the boat to our trailer we decided to grab the trailer. Two of us muscled the old trailer onto ours, strapped it down, and then put the H16 onto the old trailer and off we went. Worked like a charm. Still sailing that freebie.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Quotewhy do you think this? they are both 16' boats, the same size tramp area (I think) and has even less buoyancy in the hulls (I think).

The Nacra is actually closer to 17'. the tramp area is the same, but the N5.0 has WAY more buoyancy in the hulls.
    We regularly put350lb on the 5.0, & sail the hell out of it in 25mph winds. My neighbor has 2 H16's, he is about 210lb, & that puts the H16 hulls very low in the water.

The 5.0 is a little small for 4, even if it is 2 adults & 2 kids. the 5.7 is a much better choice. I've done 21mph solo, 2 up,(double trapped), & 3 up, (2 on the wire, one on the hull).
    The boardless Nacra is VERY simple, no boom, no boards, nothing to clutter the tramp. You probably WON'T have 4 onbaord all the time, both Nacra are a joy solo, one of the 20' boats might not be so much fun solo, when the wind gets up.
    If you are in really shallow water, you can run those skeg hulls aground, without damage, unless it's onto sharp rocks). If you run a board into an immovable object, even a partially raised board, you will do major damage.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.