Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Referbing Hobie 18 Thread  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 7 - 8 - 9 ... 12 - 13 - 14 [+1]:

• Goodsailing,

Here's a link to the winch that I've seen ppl use. They single-handedly raise their mast with virtually no effort or drama. The winch package comes with all the cables to hook it up and control it. You just need to tie off a trap wire to each front corner of the tramp frame.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-marine-electric-winch-61237.html

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --

• Edited by goodsailing on Mar 26, 2015 - 08:26 PM.
  • Quoteyou can watch him adjust this straps that utilize the trap cables to stableize the mast from side to side sway

On my 20' Mystere, that was critical, unless you had lots of lateral clearway.
    Before I put the Cat on a Seadoo lift, I mucked around with stepping the mast. If you have lots of room to the sides, it really doesn't matter if the mast moves off to the side 5' or so. If your lines are not the same length it will usually fall off one way. I made up some lines specifically for this purpose, using old bridal wires. The thimbles at the ends & quick connect shackles made it all go easy.
    QuoteAfter all the discussion, I'm seriously considering the electric winch with remote control, I didn't have that option in mind. Very elegant!

That's what the original owner did when he built the trailer for my 20' Mystere. I could easily raise the mast solo. If you screwed something up, it was 10 seconds to lower it part way, fix the problem & raise it again.
    However, simply raising the mast was the easy part. Getting that 31' stick into place, & attaching all the rigging was way easier with 2 people.
    Here you can see the electric winch mounted on trailer. The pole, with sheave, extends upwards & is then pinned, to create an easy pull angle
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=106285&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 26, 2015 - 08:49 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Here is how the electric winch works.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=113147&g2_serialNumber=4
    I put some photos in an album, it can be found in TECHNICAL, Trailers.
    here;
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures?g2_itemId=113144

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Goodsailing: In an effort to possibly better define the problem......how much would you estimate that your mast weighs?

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • goodsailing How's that for over thinking! icon_lol

I wouldn't worry about over thinking, that's actually part of the fun for the average sailor that lives more than a few miles away from the water. But underestimating other people's experience may have more impact if you don't have a lot of your own.
  • Quotehow much would you estimate that your mast weighs?

50lbs. I can lift it and carry it around etc. It's getting it up through the crux standing on the tramp when it's hinged. I drained the mast, but the foam inside could be holding water...

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteBut underestimating other people's experience may have more impact if you don't have a lot of your own.

True, but I'm learning through reading and asking questions, and failing. HA

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 27, 2015 - 09:02 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • If it's 50 LBS then it is likely not holding much if any water. I measured two of our comptip masts a few years ago and I believe they were both 55 LBS.

sm
  • I noticed in the Hobie 18 manual, they actually feature two people lifting the mast in one of the photo's. I also noticed there's no chain plate on the forestay. The roller furler is just attached to the end of the forestay. Any reason the previous owner had the chain plate? The roller fuller is attached at the end, hence making the forestay longer. More rake?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • The chain plate or forestay adjuster is shown on page 10 of the manual, but it is hard to see due to the darkness of the picture and because it is adjusted to a very short length. The adjuster is just a piece of flat stainless steel bar with about 10 holes punched in it. It is a standard H18 part and is needed to properly connect the swaged fork fitting on the forestay to the roller furler.

sm
  • shot 2 videos for you
    stepping and unstepping the mast

first one (step) the camera was not in the best spot (on another cat) but you can see MY mechanics with a helper on a safety line

second video is better angle of my buddy solo dropping it

https://www.youtube.com/w…UUDFB19kzJwcRCJRH2jDRAcw
  • goodsailing
    Quotehow much would you estimate that your mast weighs?

50lbs. I can lift it and carry it around etc. It's getting it up through the crux standing on the tramp when it's hinged. I drained the mast, but the foam inside could be holding water...

As Dogboy stated, I think you're good on the water holding issue. I just wanted to make sure that variable had been properly removed from the equation since you couldn't get the masthead off (per your other thread). FYI...If your mast is all Al (not a comp tip), there should not be any foam in there except for the two relatively small plugs.

Edited by rattlenhum on Mar 30, 2015 - 12:13 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • MN3shot 2 videos for you
    stepping and unstepping the mast

first one (step) the camera was not in the best spot (on another cat) but you can see MY mechanics with a helper on a safety line

second video is better angle of my buddy solo dropping it

How did you get the mast that high up on the rear crutch going up. I see someone pulling on the forestay line too. Yes if you can elevate the mast up so that you can get under it, then you are beyond the crux. Good videos...

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Mast hinge still isn't here yet, so Is it worth welding a 7 or 8' T handle to the beech wheel axle?

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 30, 2015 - 05:58 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailingHow did you get the mast that high up on the rear crutch going up. I see someone pulling on the forestay line too. Yes if you can elevate the mast up so that you can get under it, then you are beyond the crux. Good videos...

ALL the guys i sail with trailer with the sterns facing the car for this exact reason.

you just roll the mast backwards and pin it- and you have this advantageous angle and room to get under the mast

http://asnstudios.com/images/honda2.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Mar 30, 2015 - 02:19 PM.
  • goodsailingMast hinge still isn't here yet, so what are you using for arm on your beach wheels?

i have cradles - no arm needed -
  • QuoteMast hinge still isn't here yet, so Is it worth welding a 7 or 8' T handle to the beech wheel axle?

I wouldn't bother. I place my wheels beneath the stays and, using the rope on the ends of the wheels, take about 3-4 wraps around the sidestay chain plate. The boat will be very easy to balance on the wheels at this point. You can just walk to the front and grab the bridle wires where they come together and move the boat around easily. I usually put the bridle wires behind my neck/on my shoulders and grab one in each hand. It's pretty easy to control the balance of the boat and move it around.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Quote trailer with the sterns facing the car for this exact reason

What do you tie the line that's attached to the forestay if raising the mast solo? Is it wrapped around the front wires holding the roller fuller then back to the mast for tie off so that you can jump down and pin the forestay?

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 30, 2015 - 06:16 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteWhat do you tie the line that's attached to the forestay if raising the mast solo?

I don't use a saftey line if i am truly solo - however i will walk up and ask a "strong looking" beach goer for a little help "holding" my safety line. Once i am about to step i will tell them to go ahead and pull as i start to lift

when i solo step
    I make sure my bows are at least slightly downhill if i can (for 2 reasons, 1 to assist in the angle. 2 so once the mast is up ... gravity will help it lean slightly /stand 90* to the boat)

after the mast is up i take the forestay in hand and walk out on a bow (all the while keeping tension on the forestay to stop the mast from falling)

I get down off the bow (boat still on trailer) and tie off the forestay to the furler ring *(portugesse turnbuckle)

to be honest this is my least fav part of solo stepping

to be even more honest, i utilize (cleat) my spinnaker halyard (that is already tied to the furler ring) this is about the same thing as securing the forestay and can walk out on the bow/off the boat with much less "fear" of the mast dropping

i ALWAYS look for people walking behind me as i do this, and will wait till there is no one in the "danger zone"

if there are people parked next to me, i will alert them to the fact i am stepping my mast, and they shouldn't worry but keep an eye out incase anything goes wrong

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 ... 7 - 8 - 9 ... 12 - 13 - 14 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.