Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

threads of dolphin striker  Bottom

• IS this normal.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=135898&g2_serialNumber=3
    I dropped my mast and the ball is stripped.
    Do these rod threads look correct? Should it be replaced?

Edited by rungi on Oct 05, 2021 - 08:47 AM.
  • They don't. I don't see how the plastic ball may have done that though. The risk is that the ball can pop out of the rod when you are raising or lowering the mast (when the ball is pulling the mast base down instead of supporting its weight, becuase the mast is pivoting on your hands, way past its center of mass). You will lose control of the mast and it may hit somebody's head or get damaged, not good. You can tie a safety line that secures the mast base if it happes (most likely it will), not a big deal if the line is short enough, I've done it often, because I used to have a non captive mast base. Just be aware and hold the mast when it happens. Wak back on the trampline as you lower the mast to have more leverage.
    If you dropped the mast with the pin on, you probably bent the rod, that could be a problem. If not too bad, straightening might work, at your own risk. Most likely the nut won't go through that thread again, but no big deal if you can still adjust it as required.
  • QuoteThe risk is that the ball can pop out of the rod when you are raising or lowering the mast

Maybe the rod was already damaged and this explains why you dropped the mast?
  • Something’s up with the first 3-4 threads, they’re completely gone. If the threads below are in good shape, maybe you can just cut off the first 1/4” or so of the post. You would just need to make sure you still have enough clearance that the mast base doesn’t contact the crossbar. If the other threads are damaged, maybe you can run a die down the post to clean them up.

Replacing the entire post can turn into a big headache - if there’s corrosion you may not be able to get it apart easily.

sm
  • i ordered the rod. if i cut it i will really have to lift the mast hight to step the mast.
    hope i can replace it without too much trouble
  • i dropped the mast while i was tightening the side stays it fell foward and to the port side.
    it did not seem to be damaged. so i stepped it again and sailed all day without any issues
    i think the rod may have been like that already. i do not
    think the ball could not do that.
  • Do you think it is safe to use the ball on this rod?
    The new one screws down tight but it is not screwing onto the top threads.
  • QuoteI dropped my mast and the ball is stripped.
    Do these rod threads look correct?

No, the first few are not right. Run a die down into the rod, then cut that 1/2” off, then back the die off to clean the threads at the cut. (If you don’t run the die in first, you may have a hard time getting it started), Even an inch won’t matter to mast height, you’ll just use a lower hole in the stay adjusters.
    If you dropped the mast forward, you buggered up the DS, the ball will break before it damages the mast...I know this from experience.
    When stepping the mast, have a screwdriver of the diameter to fit the stay extenders in your pocket. You will eventually drop the bloody pin in the sand or grass. In that case simply stick the screwdriver in to safe the mast. Raise it with one stay very loose. Have a buddy hang on a trap wire to pull it over,(he can even “bounce”), to get the pin in a hole that gives a right rig. Easiest is having him in a harness, trapped out.
    This photo from my 5.7 album shows why it is critical to keep the mast rotated while raising/dropping the mast. Just think about the leverage on the DS if the mast falls any direction & the DS doesn’t line up with the cutout.
    Also notice what keeps the mast captive while raising/lowering, in this case I simply used 1/4” bolt. You can use a long pip pin, or a screwdriver. Be sure to use something, or the mast is not captive while raising. When ,lowering, think about which direction you will rotate the mast. If you use a screwdriver or bolt, & the big end ends up down to the tramp, you can’t remove it
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=76385

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 06, 2021 - 06:49 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Whi,e sitting Korea, waiting for a flight tomorrow, I had a thought.
    There is no way any delrin ball made your threads smaller, What I think happened is this.
    Older Nacras, (a couple of 5,2s we parted out), used a thinner DS, & A SMALLER DIAMETER BALL.
    Both sizes used to be available at Murray’s, but I made a dozen of the larger ones for the 5.0 & 5.7.
    Your DS looks like it was made thinner at the end, to accept an old style ball.
    Do some digging, (I can’t remember the diameters of the balls), but the newer, stronger DS is 9/16” SS.
    What diameter is your ball, & that of the thin section of the DS?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • that is a hell of a modification.
    Maybe I can use either size ball.
    The mast never spins 360 degrees
    so the ball can not screw off
    The new ball screws on tight
    im thinking there is no need to replace the rod
  • it is the new 1.5 inch ball
    from murray
  • Rod is fine. Somewhere in the boat's life, the top of the dolphin striker got whacked. These boats don't produce enough load on the ball to cause an issue. It depends on how OCD you may be and if you can easily replace the rod. If you have time, go for it... Since you asked, you may always wonder when you are sailing and may cause uncertainty.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Found this in the photo albums. Also a 5.7 with the top threads missing?

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102532&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.