Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie - Did I waste $1700? Mast kink on Mystere 6.0  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

• Edchris177
    QuoteWhat I'm curious about is some places that seemed "thin". They have no give or flex but the light I shown underneath them was visible (on the bottom of the hull)

My H18 shows light through the very bottom, & it has no wear.

So you wouldn't worry about it? Thats good to hear. Is there a way to test waterfastness without putting it in the water? I was going to try that before I put the top panels back on so I can make any internal repairs if needed
  • You can put water in the hulls to see if it leaks through. Normally we test for water-fastness and leaks by slightly pressurizing the hulls with a few pounds of air pressure, then testing the outside with a soap solution. With the decks off, that won't work. I would recommend using a gel-coat on the bottom that reasonably matches the hull color. Even after sanding and polishing, this will create an opaque coating that will block the light that bothers you, seal any areas that are permeable due to loss of the original gel coat, and add a wear layer. The best thing you can do to maintain that bottom treatment is beach wheels.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteIs there a way to test waterfastness without putting it in the water?

I would not bother with putting water in the hulls. In a liquid, pressure is determined by depth. Putting only an inch or two of water in a hull might not show a leak, especially if the leak is higher up. However, the hull might leak once submerged halfway while sailing.
    You definitely do not want to fill the hull, water is heavy, 1 cubic meter = 1 metric ton.
    I would run a thin gasket around the lip where your deck fits, (just cut a strip of that thin foam packing material), place deck on top, then secure with bags of sand.
    Pressurize the hull slightly with a balloon pump & mop soapy water around the areas you want to test.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=118697

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteIs there a way to test waterfastness without putting it in the water?

I would not bother with putting water in the hulls. In a liquid, pressure is determined by depth. Putting only an inch or two of water in a hull might not show a leak, especially if the leak is higher up. However, the hull might leak once submerged halfway while sailing.

I was thinking of taking it out and putting the whole thing in the water so I can look down into the hull and see any problem areas. Not filling it with water.

Edited by jgregs on Oct 25, 2021 - 10:37 AM.
  • no

Edited by MN3 on Oct 25, 2021 - 12:54 PM.
  • QuoteI was thinking of taking it out and putting the whole thing in the water so I can look down into the hull and see any problem areas. Not filling it with water.

I read your earlier post, saying, “ Is there a way to test waterfastness without putting it in the water?”
    The problem with putting open hulls in the water- it’s very difficult to submerge them to only an inch of freeboard. They have a lot of buoyancy, you need smooth water & a way to get them deep & hold them there.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • i would be concerned about moving and flexing the hulls without the lids -
    we know your seam glue has failed in many spots. you risk flexing the boat and creating a new void in your seams that may not be noticeable
  • Don’t hesitate to contact Yannick Sansoucy who now runs Mystere, he’s very helpful and most of the parts for your cat are still available from them. He can also give you some info on repairs and/or construction of your hulls (he did for me). For example he once told me the deck lids are originally glued down in a way to make them removeable in case the need for repair arises.

ysansoucy@gmail.com

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • I emailed Yannick but haven't heard back yet.

I also found a local rigger who suggested that a mast for a Hurricane 5.9 could be a suitable replacement. It would be much cheaper but I don't know enough to say whether this would work. Any thoughts?
  • Update: No progress on straightening the mast yet. I finally found a local rigger who will look at it but since the hulls are dismantled (lids off) I don't feel great about driving it the hour and a half to the nearest rigger.

Once I have the hulls finished then I was going to worry about the mast.

Thanks for all the support on the progress thus far. Hopefully I will have it finished in time to sail this summer *fingers crossed*
  • Hi jgregs, i own a 98 mystere 5.5 based in Quebec City, keep up the work, mysteres are solid and resilient, MN3 gave you solid structural advice with pictures, like he said make sure all bulkhead are present. While the lids are opened, add some epoxy around the base of the centerboards well, this is where most of the water ingress happens, i sealed them from outside by filling the void, 2 layers of resin and gelcoat around the inside of the base. Making it a smooth one piece well. Result, bone dry hulls. I changed my full rigging last year, i would go for it as well, tiny cracks are probably there already after 20+ years. You dont want cable break after doing all this.
    FYI, Yannik has most parts and can make you cables (he did mine), i drop by the factory from time to time for parts and advice (had a spreader screw machined in the fall, the old had a bent arm). He may as well have decommissioned boat mast available as he slowly retires the school mystere fleet. Although no longer made, there is a lot of mystere "material" there. Be patient with mail replies though icon_wink

For the mast bend, if your are not planning to power sail it, i support that correct rigging tension will more than cover for the integrity. If the curve is spreaded mostly equally across the spreaders, rigging tension will correct it, if only above or below, the diamond wire tension will exacerbate the curve.

I can tell you that a mystere will give you tremendous sailing pleasure once properly rigged. You will acquire confidence in it, go step by step. Always treated like an old "V8" big car in multi type regatta, believe me, the "heavy underdog" is giving some serious heat to the Tigers, Vipers, Nacra and such, scoring midpack of better and not very far from pole position. (Its not just the boat, skipper counts!)

Bonus, i can sail 4 adults for a sunday ride without wetting anybody and still have plenty of buoyancy reserve. (that will please your wife and friends if they are not into racing!) The boat is very safe, we had an unexpected squall last summer with 30+ knots wild gusts, i was alone and managed through it, but the more agressive boats capsized being unable to depower in time.

Lots of very knowlegable and experienced sailors/cat maintainers in these thread, listen to what they say like i did in the past, you will make it to the water.

Hope that it will fuel your motivation throughout the project. When you are going to be at rigging time, you can PM me, i'll share my mystere journey for tuning.

Cheers

Norm

Edited by normmyst55 on Apr 04, 2022 - 09:03 PM.

--
    Norm F.
    1998 Mystere 5.5 Spi "Berkana"
    Quebec, Canada
    --
  • I was able to get the mast straightened with some help from my brother and father.

Now I'm working on finishing the hulls and getting the waterproof. Once thats done its sailing time!

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.