Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere 6.0 : halyard mainsail  Bottom

• Hello,
    We have been trying to hoist the mainsail of a Mystere 6.0 by first time. When the top of mainsail reaches the spreaders, it gets stuck and we can not hoist it further. The track looks to be clean and in good shape. Any advice?
    The descending halyard of the mainsail goes inside the same track in which the ascending mainsail bolt rope is inserted. Is that normal?
    Other case, do you have the length and the diameter of halyard, maybe it has been expanded because aging.
    Thanks
    Pablo
  • Yes, the halyard comes down the same slot it goes up.
    Lay the boat on its side, with the mast supported.
    Then “raise” the sail & see what’s binding.
    On my 6.0 XL, it was a hard pull, even with a clean track & sail. I used a clamcleat power grip 2. Once you get the hang of using it, things went pretty quick.
    https://www.clamcleat.com…6mm-rope/power-grip.html
    I don’t have that boat anymore, & can’t remember the line diameter, it was less than 1/4” IIRC. It is less than the down haul lines, (blue with yellow trace). It has to be twice the height of the mast, which is 31’, plus a couple feet extra.
    This photo might give you an idea, when you compare the line to the track width. Look just at the relief where you insert the sail into the track.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…923&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 06, 2021 - 08:27 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have never seen the power-grip before... I will give it a try.
    It would be fantastic to have a manual of instructions for the boat. However, it won't be the first time that I learn to assemble a boat based on pictures and videos that I find online.
    Thank you very much for the information.
  • IF the track is clean, lubricated and has no pinches in it ...
    the issue is probably a swollen or shrunk bolt rope (in the sail)
  • Had that problem also at first with my 21'; especially at the top of the mast, after spreaders. Mine was mostly fixed with clean slot and dry lube in slot and on bolt rope. Mine was also tougher because the bolt rope has shrunk some, leaving the luff a bit wrinkled. Something similar to the power grip and making sure the sail is straight back from the mast when raising seems to make the most difference when getting up near 25 feet, reducing all unnecessary resistance. At least for me that works every time now.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • pablomHello,
    We have been trying to hoist the mainsail of a Mystere 6.0 by first time. When the top of mainsail reaches the spreaders, it gets stuck and we can not hoist it further. The track looks to be clean and in good shape. Any advice?
    The descending halyard of the mainsail goes inside the same track in which the ascending mainsail bolt rope is inserted. Is that normal?
    Other case, do you have the length and the diameter of halyard, maybe it has been expanded because aging.
    Thanks
    Pablo

Could be a few small issues compounding. As Chuck has previously mentioned, the bolt rope is probably the main icon_lol culprit. Especially if you have a pre-bend rig with the mainsail luff curve. Sometimes the luff curve in the sail doesn't match the pre-bend curve as the sail ages. If the sail is in good condition, I would recommend having a sailmaker replace the luff tape with a taffeta luff tape. If you do not want the expense of a new luff tape, look at the bottom of your luff tape. There will probably be some thick hand stitching going side to side. Cut that stitching loose and remove it with pliers. The bolt rope will jump inside the luff tape, probably 4-6". That's ok. If it bothers you, work a short section of new bolt rope in the bottom and pop a quick stitch in it. It will take a few times with the downhaul loaded to get it to release fully. I store my mast with the track down. This keeps grunge and dirt out. Before I leave the house, I will do a quick rinse of the track and sometimes get spunky and run a sponge up the track with Dawn soap. You can either leave the soap, or rinse it out and apply a dry silicone (I use McLube) before you raise the mast. Once you do this a couple of times, you'll get into a habit and the sails will operate much better. Another thing to check are the main halyard sheaves. Typically, the original sheaves are cheap plastic. If there is any wobble between the sheave and the axis pin, the friction will cause issues. Each little thing adds up to a big problem.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • Thanks for the suggestions. We focused our attention on the track and halyard and we did not thought about the sail. I will give a look to the sail. Thanks. Pablo
  • Hi Pablom, check the block at the top of the mast, the harken sheave bearing tend to crumble after a few years and under pressure, the sheave is not turning, the line slides on it. Drill the original rivet and replace with new block and stainless screws. As well anodized aluminum tend to be more draggy, i always make sure the track is clean and lubed. Use silicon spray on the sail luff. Last thing, check if your halyard is chaffing against the boom gooseneck rivets inside the track, the line sometimes gets inside the rivets extension.

Good luck

Norm

--
    Norm F.
    1998 Mystere 5.5 Spi "Berkana"
    Quebec, Canada
    --
  • deleted by user. accidently posted to the wrong thread. My bad

Edited by jgregs on Apr 11, 2022 - 10:13 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.