Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere 5.5 Mast ball bushing  Bottom

• Hi all,

I bought my first beach cat the other day and one of the principal problems I'm working through is the mast step bushing. The mystere has a cast aluminium ball and a cast aluminium mast base, but the socket has a flat top, which means the normal hobie 16 cookie doesn't work.

Does anyone know what goes in here? Mine is worn badly from not using a bushing; I will need to build it up with the tig and grind it down.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2TSQvmjLj8Jj67DSA
  • there is the perfect item for your mystere mast ball
    a 20oz gator aid lid

there is a Stainless steel component to the old mystere ball - there should also be a stainless steel insert in your mast base. this is your actual pivot point.

the ball being grinded down isn't that big a deal -most of the pressure is on that SS pivot point and grinding away will stop at some point.

my mysteres are both ground down like this
    i had my beams worked on a few years ago (grind down, new alum added where needed, painted) and i asked my spar builder/rigger about building up my mast ball - he said "don't do it - not worth it - will grind away again and your SS is the pivot (he owned several mystere's in his day)

the only time it becomes a real issue is when using a stepping pin may be unusable and line needs to be used instead since the mast is a bit lower on the ball
  • I don't know if I can bring myself to use a gatorade lid haha

I removed the stainless circle from the mast base as I was investigating what was under it (a load of corrosion). What was the stainless top like on the ball, was it a spherical cap?

I know you said it doesn't matter, but I just couldn't leave the ball and base all gouged up, I've built them up and I'll grind them down. I'm actually having a UHMWPE bushing made to fit in the mast base. I'll have a load 3d printed in nylon if it's ok.

I know I basically asked for advice then ignored it; but I'm missing the ball stainless piece, so I figured I'd fix the issue completely.

Not made the best these Mysteres, but I'm in Canada and beggers can't be choosers at the moment.

Cheers,
    Dylan

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.