Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Stepping a Taft 16 mast  Bottom

• Looking for suggestions on how to step the mast on a Taft 16. Specifically how to keep it from going too far side to side.
  • have 1 person on the tramp lifting
    and tie a line to the forestay and have 1 person pulling sed line
    when stepped - person on tramp holds it while person up front secures the forestay

alternatively have 2 people on the tramp stepping the mast
    then once stepped - one person hop off and secure the forestay

also around here most of us turn our cats around and trailer sterns facing the car
    this allows us to pin the mast to the ball and the trailer yoke holds the mast at an angle - easier to get under for lifting

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=132203&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Quotehave 1 person on the tramp lifting
    and tie a line to the forestay and have 1 person pulling sed line
    when stepped - person on tramp holds it while person up front secures the forestay

A variation of this is to use the winch to pull the forestay line (or a trap line instead). The winch can take most of the load making things easier for the person on the tramp. Just start pulling with the winch after a certain angle.

If no second person you can route that forestay line through a block back to you on the tramp, to be able to secure it after you stepped the mast by yourself. If you do so and use a cleat somewhere (I use the jib block), just make sure that you are able to uncleat if something goes wrong half way up, which is not uncommon. What I haven't tried yet and intend to do next time (whenever possible..) is to attach trap lines to both sides of the front beam, It should make things easier and safer. The trap lines should be loose when the mast is horizontal though, because the pivot point is higher on the mast. Not sure if that will mean too much lateral movement at the begining, which is when it is most needed to limit it.

Edited by Andinista on Aug 25, 2020 - 11:05 AM.
  • taft16I have been having trouble stepping the mast on my Taft 16. Looking for suggestions on how to keep the mast from going side to side when raising and lowering the mast.

What is your process now? Where do you step the mast?

For anyone not familiar with the Taft, check this photo album.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=125326

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125334&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for the replies.
    Currently I use a winch on the trailer tongue routed through the mast stand to the forestay. One person walks the mast up or down as the other person winches.
    Problem is the mast wants to go too far to the side when the person walking the mast up transitions from the ground to the trailer to the tramp.
    The trap lines to the front beam sound like the answer. Please explain in greater detail.
    The side stays don't get tight enough to keep the mast stable until it most of the way up.
  • Put the mast on a 6ft ladder so the person walking up mast can start on the tramp.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteThe trap lines to the front beam sound like the answer. Please explain in greater detail

http:// https://m.youtube…atch?v=sO70lkV3V8g&t=68s
    Like in the video. You may want to test lowering the mast the first time and check how much looser are the trap
    lines when the mast is down. On the picture I see that you might not be able to attach a line to the beam easily, maybe a loop around the hull will work.

Edited by Andinista on Aug 27, 2020 - 12:07 AM.
  • dssaakPut the mast on a 6ft ladder so the person walking up mast can start on the tramp.

+1

attaching (correctly adjusted) trap wires is a good system for solo stepping and using a gin pole

Still think if you have 2 people just both jump up on the tramp is the easy way

QuoteCurrently I use a winch on the trailer tongue routed through the mast stand to the forestay.

not sure where you winch is but this adds a LOT of force to the yoke (mast stand) in directions it's not intended to be stressed. not an issue with hardware in good working order but if there is corrosion in this yoke, it is dangerous
  • For side sway I use two quick adjusting straps, one for each trap wire, down to the ends of the front (or in your case middle) beam. The intent is for the strap connection to be at the same elevation as the mast pin so it does not tighten/loosen as the mast comes up. Best to set them a little loose on the first try. I have 1/4" line tied in a loop at the beam ends (where the tramp meets the hull there is a gap) that the straps hook to.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • QuoteFor side sway I use two quick adjusting straps, one for each trap wire, down to the ends of the front (or in your case middle) beam. The intent is for the strap connection to be at the same elevation as the mast pin so it does not tighten/loosen as the mast comes up.

This is a great method!

Problem for OP is this boat has no real tie off spot on the front beam without some drilling (not the end of the world to drill 2 small holes and add a eyestrap with rivets - but the less holes in your boat the better)
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=125336&g2_serialNumber=3

i still say 2 on the tramp - bada-bing done
    maybe still use a ladder to get a head start
  • I am going to try this "For side sway I use two quick adjusting straps, one for each trap wire, down to the ends of the front (or in your case middle) beam. The intent is for the strap connection to be at the same elevation as the mast pin so it does not tighten/loosen as the mast comes up." I don't have trapeze lines, so I will tie lines to where the shrouds join the mast and to the corners of the middle beam where there is a gap in the corner of the trampoline.
    Also built a crutch to act as the ladder to set the mast on, so I don't have the transitions on the way up and down.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
  • If there is some slope have the bows point down and this will work in your favour (or
    against you the other way around) more than you may think. It allows pushing the mast from a bit higher, which gives more leverage. It seems insignificant but as you are actually quite close to the mast base, it makes a difference. Plus, if the slope is enough the mast will stay up with the shrouds only, which also helps in the process if you have no help.
  • Agree with Andinista also if the wind is coming from the stern it helps
    Unfortunately when rigging up in the parking lot at the boat ramp these factors are sometimes beyond our control.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.