Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Repairing leaky tires on beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• pknapp66You should only have to break one bead to either install a tube or new valve stem. Makes reseating the bead
    much easier. If replacing the tube then there is no issue with the bead.

How did you break the bead? I haven’t tried on these tires, but even my lawn tractor defeated me. Ended up taking them to the John Deere shop

JohnESYou don't need to take the tire off to replace the valve stem.. Manny, Moe, and Jack can hook ya up with a complete kit...

However, before you do any of that.... change out the actual Schrader valve that is inside the valve stem... about 80% of my leak problems have been solved by just doing this. They get corroded out if they are not caped.

https://cdn.1aauto.com/partimage/ACD/1AACD00002/d64f020f5cc64042a4b21a1b5a69a549_490.jpg

Sorry, what, who is Manny, Moe & Jack? Yes, the tire does not have to be removed, but you still need one bead fully broken in order to get the new stem inside, then pulled through, no?
    I should have thought of the actual valve core itself, I have some of those.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Quote who is Manny, Moe & Jack?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/f2/d0/f6f2d0615530629ba65f5afe44975c39.jpg
  • Quotewho is Manny, Moe & Jack

Ooh! I know this one!
    The "Pep Boys"

I thought they were all closed down though.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteI thought they were all closed down though.

No sir - they are still in business
  • badfish
    Quotewho is Manny, Moe & Jack

Ooh! I know this one!
    The "Pep Boys"

I thought they were all closed down though.

They are alive and doing very well...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Edchris177 Sorry, what, who is Manny, Moe & Jack? Yes, the tire does not have to be removed, but you still need one bead fully broken in order to get the new stem inside, then pulled through, no?
    I should have thought of the actual valve core itself, I have some of those.

I have a set of these from my Enduro/MX days.

https://bikemaster.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/5/151552tireironset.jpg

Or, get one of these from Harbor Frieght & Tool or take it to the local ATV shop...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/OoIAAOSwGUBaDpxZ/s-l640.jpg

Edited by JohnES on Jul 01, 2019 - 07:49 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Man, I've got to warn you about those tire spoons for motorcycle tires. Used them a BUNCH and decided to do my lawn tractor tires; changed them to ATV tread - the tires were cheaper, I didn't get stuck anymore, nor did I slip down into the ditch...man that was embarrassing! The third time.

So, I was working the tread off the rim and the damned spoon flew out and whacked me, right in the face. I was in the line of fire because that's about where your head is when you're trying to break the bead. Lucky it was slightly deflected or I would have been going to hospital for stitches.

I ended up breaking the bead by compressing the sidewall using a jack and sticking it under my truck for the other side of the jack. Very not-elegant. I swore I'd spend the money at the local ATV shop after that Saturday... And, yes Slime is quite caustic; eats the paint off the rims on the inside. The tires, brand new are only $40... doesn't seem worth it to buy a $30 tube, unless the rim isn't sealing any more (then it makes a lot of sense).

Let us know how it goes.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • A $30 tube made a lot of sense when I didn't think the bead would be any big deal....

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • QuoteI ended up breaking the bead by compressing the sidewall using a jack and sticking it under my truck for the other side of the jack. Very not-elegant.

That's a heck of a lot more elegant than we used to do. I'm actually stealing that one.
    We would just toss it down on the ground and very carefully run it over with the truck to break the bead. Can of ether and a lighter and you were on your way.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • If the spoons don't get ya, the starter fluid will,.. firedevil

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Rather than using flammable liquids to set a bead, I suggest removing the valve core and using an unrestricted air blower that fits the valve body. It rapidly adds air and will set the bead safely. Then just screw in the valve core and bring to the rated pressure.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • So there is no misunderstanding, for setting the cattrax bead without a tube, you need a high volume air source as opposed to a high pressure one. Volume- not pressure will do the job. Most home compressor pumps will fail at this, and many tireshop ones will fail too.

Using a 30-50lbs source on a 10lb tire is pushing it as far as I would go. Removing the core is a good move, even if you are using combustion. Chances are you will never achieve the volume needed to overwhelm the large void left between the rim and the bead. A sudden blast of air is the key (starter fluid or air cannon). Or a very large volume of air applied gradually with a seal... (google 5 gallon bucket method). Or compressing the tire along the "tread" with a tourniquet to expand the tire wall sometimes works.

All that said, a used tire may be much easier to set the bead on than a new one, since it will have some shape memory. I hope is is for you. By using a tube, Mookie should bypasses this problem, but they introduce long term maintenance issues around saltwater.

Maybe slime is not such a bad idea- unless it etches the aluminum rims near your valve/bead over time. If it's inert, it should be fine. After all I went through with these tires, I would try it.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • almost sounds like taking it to an atv shop is the easy way ...
  • QuoteRather than using flammable liquids to set a bead, I suggest...

I never meant to imply that I suggested it. I've done a lot of things I don't recommend.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteI've done a lot of things I don't recommend.

can we have a list of these things please (just so we don't follow you down that rabbit hole) :)

rofl2
  • MN3
    QuoteI've done a lot of things I don't recommend.

can we have a list of these things please (just so we don't follow you down that rabbit hole) :)

rofl2

Where's the fun in that?
    We should all get the opportunity to look back in our past and get to shake our heads and wonder how we're still here. Keeps it exciting.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Googled 5 gallon bucket method and lighter fluid method. I thought I was redneck, but you guys are killing it. I can't wait to try both methods.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • mookieGoogled 5 gallon bucket method and lighter fluid method. I thought I was redneck, but you guys are killing it. I can't wait to try both methods.

When you get to the Ether method, I would like to make one request. For science.

Take your resting heart rate and then take it again immediately after it ignites and sets the bead. icon_eek icon_lol icon_lol

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • lol

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • And roll the GoPro - just for science. icon_evil

--
    Prindle 18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.