Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Repairing leaky tires on beach wheels  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Are the large, low pressure tires on cat tracks/beach wheels owner-serviceable? One of mine has a slow leak and I'd like to fix it. I took it to a tire shop about a year ago, they said they fixed it, but it still leaks. If we can do it, what's the best way to go about it?

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • Alright, sorry for the double post; it said the first one timed out so I tried again. Looks like they both went through though, and I can't figure out how to delete one.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • mookieAre the large, low pressure tires on cat tracks/beach wheels owner-serviceable? One of mine has a slow leak and I'd like to fix it. I took it to a tire shop about a year ago, they said they fixed it, but it still leaks. If we can do it, what's the best way to go about it?

really all you can do is replace the air valve/stem - if that doesn't fix it you will probably need to get inner tubes for the tires

you will probably also need to take the tire to a shop to get the inner-tube installed unless you are great at tire service
  • MN3
    mookieAre the large, low pressure tires on cat tracks/beach wheels owner-serviceable? One of mine has a slow leak and I'd like to fix it. I took it to a tire shop about a year ago, they said they fixed it, but it still leaks. If we can do it, what's the best way to go about it?

really all you can do is replace the air valve/stem - if that doesn't fix it you will probably need to get inner tubes for the tires

you will probably also need to take the tire to a shop to get the inner-tube installed unless you are great at tire service

Yes, change out the valve stems, and get rubber screw on caps for them, they are not meant to get wet... Also, get some Green Slim and follow the instructions... stuff works wonders...

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/85014ce0-8a96-47fb-b5e9-2c321dd6b19c_1.2b68751680ce4afee098b6190f14ac8d.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I don't have first hand experience but from what i hear/read slime is a temporary emergency fix, not permanent and can cause wheel balance issues - not sure i would go that route personally unless on the side of the road with a flat
  • What kind of beach wheels? You can get innertubes for cat trax (the black inflatable atv style wheels). Rollez wheels (the smaller grey wheels) can supposedly be fixed by welding with a heated up piece of metal (like a screwdriver). I tried that once and it just made the hole bigger.... I had moderate success patching the hole with 5200 sealant, but it just slowed the leak.

I know some who have used slime or fix a flat but that only worked temporarily. I believe I’ve also heard of some who’ve cut a hole in the sidewall of the tire and poured in post hole mix (expanding foam). That of course would add a fair amount of weight and eliminate the advantage of having a pneumatic tire.

The other option, if the leak is pretty slow, is to just get a cheap bike pump and toss it in the boat box to pump up the tires as needed. I did that for quite a few years.

sm
  • No experience with leaking beach wheels, but I think I'd grab some soapy water, find the leak, if stem replace it and/or put some slime in it. Its a mess to clean when you change tires, but that's not really a problem on beach wheels.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Get the inner tubes and be done. I have tubes in both of my cattrax wheels. Don't use the slime as its meant for emergency type repairs.
  • The boat I just recently purchased had a cat tack tires that would hold air... They have been sitting for a while and have some cracks in the sidewalls.. I replace the valve stems with new ones pumped them up and they still leaked.. I "slimmed them" as we say... and a year later they are still holding the air..

Green Slime is a permanent fix and has been a staple of many MTB riders here in CA for the past 20 years...

Edited by JohnES on Jun 27, 2019 - 05:09 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteGreen Slime is a permanent fix and has been a staple of many MTB riders here in CA for the past 20 years

Obviously John works for the Slime Company and can't be trusted
    (totally kidding)
    I don't mean to discount your first hand knowledge. I completely trust it.

All i know is their own website said max speed of 65mph; so do not ever drive your boat on it's beach wheels over that ...
  • Mookie, you didn’t mention if you have tubed tires now.

And are the sidewalls cracking? Corrosion on the stems?

Got any Picts?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • i wouldn't recommend the sealer. most of them really corrode the wheel. there are foam fillers out there. call local roofing company about foam filling tires. they know about this as to wheel barrows rolling across roofing nails.

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • nohuhuMookie, you didn’t mention if you have tubed tires now.

And are the sidewalls cracking? Corrosion on the stems?

Got any Picts?

The tires are in great shape and maybe five years old. I think I'll order a tube from Murray's.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • JohnES I replace the valve stems with new ones pumped them up and they still leaked.. I "slimmed them" as we say... and a year later they are still holding the -->

John, did you replace the valve stem yourself, or is it a tire shop job?
    I have one tire with a very slow leak, & I only use my Trax a couple times a year, but I thought I’d change the stem.
    Can you break the bead yourself? I have tool for pulling new stem.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    JohnES I replace the valve stems with new ones pumped them up and they still leaked.. I "slimmed them" as we say... and a year later they are still holding the -->

John, did you replace the valve stem yourself, or is it a tire shop job?
    I have one tire with a very slow leak, & I only use my Trax a couple times a year, but I thought I’d change the stem.
    Can you break the bead yourself? I have tool for pulling new stem.

You don't need to take the tire off to replace the valve stem.. Manny, Moe, and Jack can hook ya up with a complete kit...

However, before you do any of that.... change out the actual Schrader valve that is inside the valve stem... about 80% of my leak problems have been solved by just doing this. They get corroded out if they are not caped.

https://cdn.1aauto.com/partimage/ACD/1AACD00002/d64f020f5cc64042a4b21a1b5a69a549_490.jpg

Also when you put the caps on, give the treads a little rub or silicon or water proof grease to help keep he water out...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Good advice to try replacing the core first. If that’s the source of lost air. Spray on the soapy water to be sure.

John, are you referring to an emergency replacement valve that doesn’t require a breaking the bead? Or a rubber snap-in that does?

Like the Slimes: https://www.etrailer.com/…and-Repair-SLM20077.aspx

Once you break the beads on these floppy treadless tires, the fun stops.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • You should only have to break one bead to either install a tube or new valve stem. Makes reseating the bead
    much easier. If replacing the tube then there is no issue with the bead.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Ordered a tube from Murray's. I'm hoping it will be easy to pop the bead, put the tube in, and reinflate. We shall see.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • fill em full of slime

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • soapy water in a spray bottle... look for bubbles

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.