Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2019 Worrell 1000 - Press Release 13 April 2019  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Day 4 and 5 we will be in Jacksonville: Day 4 - Thursday 09 May 2019 – Daytona Beach, FL to Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Day 5 - Friday 10 May 2019 – Jacksonville Beach, FL to Tybee Island, GA. Hope this helps!
  • Day 4 and 5 we will be in Jacksonville: Day 4 - Thursday 09 May 2019 – Daytona Beach, FL to Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Day 5 - Friday 10 May 2019 – Jacksonville Beach, FL to Tybee Island, GA. Hope this helps!
  • Very Much, Thank you
  • pbegleIn 1975 my friend Don Sapikowski and I "raced" up the length of Lake Michigan, 300 miles, for the cost of 3 dinners and gas for "back up man" to bring trailer up to Mackinaw City. Kevin, let's do another one. Pete

I'm in. Lets plan on August 2019: "Up the Lake 44 Years Later".

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • We'll go on the buddy system. Your buddy boat, a Nacra 6.0 is in Northern Indiana. The crew for that boat is a school teacher and in 2020 she has 2 more weeks available in August. I'll find a P-16 this summer in Michigan and I have a Detroit boat as a buddy. How about three stops: Muskegon, Manistee, & Charlevoix ? Pete
  • I'm not sure I follow you. I have a Nacra 6.0, and my brother (crew) has a Prindle 16. Are you saying we should take the P16s this year and the Nacra 6.0s next year?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • No. Do your thing to Beaver Island this year. Next year Ogden Dunes to Mackinaw. Two 6.0's (Paul's boat is in northern Indiana). Your brother in his P-16 and any other P-16 or H-16 that cares to come. Sandy beach to the right all the way with neat tourist towns all the way. In August the Coho fishing fleet is 5-10 miles offshore every 20 miles, very safe passage and no entry fee, no insurance fee, no decal fee, no hotel fee (sleep on tramp). Keep track of the times for 6.0 fleet and same for Prindle/Hobie 16 fleet. Hotel if you want it. Pete
  • The section on the website that shows the list of entries with "previous" and "next" buttons at the bottom, the option to display whatever number of entries per page, and a search button to find the teams. There were 29 teams in 2001 and 25 in 2002.

The 4 entries appears no where near the expectations. That's too bad as I imagine an outrageous amount of effort went into this. Makes me wonder if this will be the last one.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • mattsonThe section on the website that shows the list of entries with "previous" and "next" buttons at the bottom, the option to display whatever number of entries per page, and a search button to find the teams. There were 29 teams in 2001 and 25 in 2002.

The 4 entries appears no where near the expectations. That's too bad as I imagine an outrageous amount of effort went into this. Makes me wonder if this will be the last one.

Wow I hadnt checked it recently but I seriously thought when I checked it at some point last year there was like 7-8 entries. I wonder if some people pulled out.
  • tamumpower1
    mattsonThe section on the website that shows the list of entries with "previous" and "next" buttons at the bottom, the option to display whatever number of entries per page, and a search button to find the teams. There were 29 teams in 2001 and 25 in 2002.

Wow I hadnt checked it recently but I seriously thought when I checked it at some point last year there was like 7-8 entries. I wonder if some people pulled out.

Possibly.

On another note, in re-reading my post, it sounds like I am saying I found the prior entries on the website. I actually found the numbers on wikipedia. I just mentioned the web formatting of the entries list because it seems built for a lot more entries.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • Thats a great idea, Pete. Next year we'll make a gentleman's race out of it.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • The Michigan 300 sounds far less expensive and way more fun without all the salt water in the eyes. I'm in. Let's make this happen.

Paul
  • boatymcboatfaceThe Michigan 300 sounds far less expensive and way more fun without all the salt water in the eyes. I'm in. Let's make this happen.

Paul

Yeah to reiterate what Pete said 95% of the west coast of Michigan is beach. And it’s littered with lake front touristy towns. Prevailing winds from the SW. It would make for a terrific floatilla. I’m going in August. Come one come all. In the next month or two we’ll pick a date for this year.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Lake Michigan really is one of the best sailing lakes in the world. I think Pete wants to plan the 300 for next year 2020.
  • To all the sailors entered, The best of luck to you and may there be good stories to tell. Thank you to the organizers for their efforts in returning this classic race.

I've followed it since the beginning, although 2 to 3 months after it happened because I had to wait for my bimonthly issue of Multihulls Magazine to arrive. Rick and Mary followed it for many years in their motorhome and did the reporting.

I never was in a position to even consider doing such a long distance race. But I did get to sail with the Hogsbreath 500 fleet one early Sunday morning off Englewood Beach.
  • The michigan race sounds awesome. Just be careful who you invite-might want to make the first to finish buy the rounds for the day!!!

It is sad to see the Worrell in this state. It is a challenge to put a race like this together, and I applaud the organizers for making that part happen, but I think the media game has changed. There were no real announcements until 3 weeks before the event, well, I got the news a year ago as I'm in the game but that doesn't work for international talent (please see CataCup). They picked the most expensive beachcat money could buy, with no factory sponsorship to help with parts and initial boat costs. Further, the boat has no real published rules. Finally, the best were not courted early and aided with proper equipment and ground crew. I'm talking guys like Mischa Heemskerk, Darren Bundock, Glenn Ashby, Mitch Booth, Mike Easton/Tripp Burd, Todd Riccardi, Mike Christensen (Pacific 1000 winner) and others whose names I am forgetting but who are equally talented and make a race like this happen. Personally I am not trashing a $40,000 boat, burning all my annual leave, literally risking life and limb for a race with poorly written/non-existent class rules and at this point to race some great guys but in a tiny class with associated limited ground support. It takes a field of 10+ to get 8 boats up the coast in this sort of race!!
  • There are a lot of Inter 20s looking for that last hurrah!
  • The closest I came to a professional writing gig was when I was contacted by Michael Worrell to cover the event in 2003. Michael had seen my online magazine On The Wire, and offered to fly me out to Florida to serve as a sort of "Howard Cosell" correspondent, providing color commentary on the competitors. I saw it as a possible life changing event and path to professional writing. Alas, the event was cancelled that year. It was very disappointing, and I still wonder where I would be now had the event taken place.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • I'll be with the race in spirit. The cost of a bottle of Woodford Reserve is about $44.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • It's on! I visited the teams preparing on the beach in Hollywood FL yesterday. Good fun!

Organizers are posting on FB lots. That's where the action is.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.