Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Front mototr mount for a Hobie Getaway?  Bottom

• I have a rear motor mount but find it's not easy to use when launching from the beach. Has any one tried a front mount for an electric trolling motor? I am thinking the crew could be ready with the motor down and I would not have to push out so deep to get on. Would not need the rudders until you are ready to stop the motor. Idea's??????

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • http://owners.aquarius-sa…le.php?id=1138&mode=view
    Here's a link to how I did it on my SC15. I don't know how it would work if you have a front tramp.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Gahamby, That looks good how does it work from the beach? Does it give you more time to get the rudders down and ready to sail? icon_biggrin

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • 2 Stiff SUP paddles? Just like we did in the “good old days” on the Tandem Islands. Store them under the wings.

How far do you need to go? You may be able to steer with them for awhile if you travel out, or power up just the jib.

Anyone have experience with backup steering systems on the cats?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • My old G-cat 5.0 had a motor mount on the front beam.https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=131462, but that was from the PO who motored out of a channel. He left it on a deserted beach before sailing.
    Question: Do you really need a motor to sail off a beach? That seems like the perfect place to not need one.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • I did sail once on a cat that did have a trolling motor attached. It was dry-docked in a secluded bay in Annapolis. Gorgeous spot. There was at least 1NM to go to where the wind was.

The captain, observing my look of hurt pride at the sight of the motor, didn't rush to start it. We pulled the kite out. We adjusted mainsail camber. We made small talk. We cursed. We looked like fools for 10 minutes.

... and then we started the motor
  • QuoteThe captain, observing my look of hurt pride at the sight of the motor, didn't rush to start it.

haha - i feel the same way every time i have to use my paddle
  • I seldom if ever launch from a beach. My motivation here is getting in and out of tight channels or getting home in a flat calm. I am quite experienced with paddling. I am also quite over long paddles against a current. I haven't dipped this yet. I'll let you know.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.