Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2019 Worrell 1000 - Press Release 13 April 2019  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• 13 April 2019

The Organizing Authority for the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race has confirmed that all planning is complete, and the fleet will depart from the Hollywood Beach Marriott checkpoint in South Florida on schedule, 06 May 2019, with the first warning signal at 0955 hours.

After years of effort by several different groups to resurrect the iconic 1000-mile race, a collective of former teams, sponsors, sailors and enthusiasts has succeeded in the improbable; a small fleet of beach catamaran sailors will face the Atlantic’s harshest challenge.

“Frankly, these teams are focused more on making it to the finish than just beating each other,” said John Williams, a former team manager and this year’s Principal Race Officer following a meeting with the volunteer event officials. “There will be plenty of moments when they’re eye to eye, on the beach or ripping along a rhumb line, and their focus is on coaxing that last half-knot of speed from the sails. But there’s another layer. They all want each other to finish.”

Stopping along the course at a dozen beach towns for mandatory checkpoints, the team with the lowest overall elapsed time wins when they come ashore in Virginia Beach. Two weeks of exposure to the elements demands sailors protect themselves from the relentless sun, summer thunderstorms, pounding surf and the constant possibility of injury. “We place the health and safety of our competitors at the forefront of our planning,” said Beverley Simmons, the Communications Director for the event and an accomplished sailor in her own right. “We have daily inspections of the various gear each team is required to have; flares, radio and cell phone comms, US Coast Guard approved floatation, strobe, GPS and more. On top of all that, we have active satellite trackers on each boat so we know where they are throughout the course.”

Spectators are welcome at each checkpoint, and tracking devices will be viewable by the public via a link on the event website at www.worrell1000race.com.

"The Worrell 1000 Reunion Race” is an offshore long distance beach catamaran sailboat race to be held in May 2019 in the waters between Florida and Virginia Beach, VA. The race will cover approximately 1000 miles with stops at multiple locations along the East Coast of the United States

Inquiries for more information can be forwarded to OA@worrell1000race.org.

Event Website:
    https://worrell1000race.com/

worrell1000@gmail.com

Address:
    100 Pinewood Road #311
    Virginia Beach, VA 23451

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Worrell1000/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Worrell1000
    Insta: https://www.instagram.com/w1krr/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • 4 boats registered....
  • Disappointing really. I know there were a lot of people throwing their name in the hat when it first announced, but for whatever reason most seemed to have backed out. I know a few distance races were cancelled because everyone said they would be at the Worrell. I am curious as to why.
    For those 4 teams that are running it, give'em hell boys and I'll be following the trackers either way!

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteDisappointing really. I know there were a lot of people throwing their name in the hat when it first announced, but for whatever reason most seemed to have backed out. ... I am curious as to why.

This may be a big part of why
    As quoted by John W (the PRO)

Early Entry Fee $1,000.00
    Required Insurance (Liability, Boat Insurance, and Damage Deposits) $1,300.00
    New Sails and Miscellaneous Parts $4,500.00
    Additional Parts for Boat $1,000.00
    Graphics on primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00
    Graphics for application to hulls, and support vehicles $400.00
    Daily Professional Marine Meteorologist Forecasting for Entire Race $600.00
    Competitor’s Race Apparel (Dry Suits, Life Jackets, Gloves, etc.) $2,000.00
    Lodging (3 Rooms/Night @ $125 x 15 Nights) $5,625.00
    Communications* $500.00
    Per Diem (Meals, Incidentals) $4,050.00
    Fuel (Motorhome and Support Vehicle) $1,750.00
    Tolls and Ferry Fees (Motorhome, Support Vehicle and Trailer) $200.00
    TOTAL $26,175.00
    * Communication costs are based upon team members using personal cellular programs – not the purchase of new equipment.

Edited by MN3 on Apr 15, 2019 - 04:58 PM.
  • Quoteon primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00
    Daily Professional Marine Meteorologist Forecasting for Entire Race $600.00
    Competitor’s Race Apparel (Dry Suits, Life Jackets, Gloves, etc.) $2,000.00

I don't know why one would have to incur 3,700 bucks in decal work, or any number of other things, but yes. It is not cheap to race these distance races. Here locally we have the Great Texas 300 and you can easily be down thousands of dollars and that's running on the cheaper end.
    That said, the guys that said they'd be there know what it means to run a race like that or even run the Worrell itself.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Those numbers are off by quite a bit.

Entry fee: $2,000
    Sails: $6,800
    Parts: a single dagger board is ~$2,500 and a rudder is $700-ish. Rudder casings are ~$350 per set. Those are parts that you need to have at least one full set of spairs. Same goes for sails... What if you have a bad flip or rip a kite during a takedown? Spare spin pole, boom, mast... The list goes on.
    Sailing gear: $2k would get close to covering one sailor. I typically go though a pair of Gill pro full finger gloves every five days during distance races, so... I'll spend $150 in just gloves. Don't forget the PLB which will add ~$300 per sailor. Same goes for your GPS, can't have just one.
    Lodging: I think our estimate was a bit higher than that as well. By the time you add taxes in, I think it was closer to $175/night, but I'd have to check my race budget spreadsheet.
    Travel: don't forget, have to fly some people to the starting line.

The expenses have grown a lot since the last time this race was run.

Edited by wlrottge on Apr 15, 2019 - 05:52 PM.
  • That pricing may have been from the last Worrell in 2002, fixed the math for you:

Early Entry Fee $1,000.00 $2000.00
    New Sails and Miscellaneous Parts $4,500.00 $7000 for sails
    Additional Parts for Boat $1000.00 $6500 for a spare set of C-boards and rudders
    Graphics on primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00
    Daily Professional Marine Meteorologist Forecasting for Entire Race $600.00 $915
    Competitor’s Race Apparel (Dry Suits, Life Jackets, Gloves, etc.) $2,000.00...sure, we'll assume you have some.
    Lodging (3 Rooms/Night @ $125 x 15 Nights) $5,625.00 $175/night min, $7875
    Communications* $500.00 everyone has a cellphone
    Per Diem (Meals, Incidentals) $4,050.00 $60 pp/day, 5 people, $4500
    Fuel (Motorhome and Support Vehicle) $1,750.00...maybe...
    Tolls and Ferry Fees (Motorhome, Support Vehicle and Trailer) $200.00 $400+
    TOTAL $26,175.00 $37,890.00
    * Communication costs are based upon team members using personal cellular programs – not the purchase of new equipment.

$38k in incidentals to do this the right way. My boat costs are based on the F20carbon...that is what the organizers picked...$36k new just for the platform, mast and sails. No trailer, beach wheels, covers etc. So you're looking at a $42,000 boat that will be worth $20,000 after you run it up the beach for 15 days. Anybody wonder why the guys that said they would jump in and do it changed their mind when you need to come up with $80,000???

Yes there was supposed to be an also-ran class of F18's. Honestly there is a better chance of finishing the race on that boat, but hard for the serious guys to jump in knowing they would be second to the beach everyday behind the F20c fleet. Still, I think the right call was to go with the F18 and maybe even the venerable Nacra 20 One Design. My math says the F18 would on average be about 45min-1 hour behind the F20c. Is that time delta worth the additional ~$10k price tag over a new F18 or ~$20k price hike on a used F18 simply to run the race in the fastest 20 foot beach cat sort of available?

Edited by samc99us on Apr 15, 2019 - 06:16 PM.
  • It's only really expensive if you register. The water is there year round if you just want to sail 1000 miles up the coast. I like how the first races were just dudes challenging each other so they went out and did it on H16's from what I understand.

I'm thinking of putting the spin back on my boat and doing the Daytona - Jax leg personally. Doesn't matter to me if I'm on the score sheets for that leg on the website.
  • QuoteThose numbers are off by quite a bit.

Sorry i missed the part these numbers were based off the 2002 worrell 1000

Original post with lots of distance racers discussing costs - https://www.catsailor.com…-worrell-1000#Post288868
  • QuoteIt's only really expensive if you register.

It only counts if you enter.

you could go to boston and run 26 miles but you didn't run the boston marathon unless you register
  • I work for a very large company, when I fly, company policy is we fly business class. When we purchase parts and services, price is very nearly irrelevant. however, I'm a "Grassroots sailor" you could say. I've never done a distance catamaran race, but if I approached this the same way I approached my national level car racing the numbers would look more like this...

Early Entry Fee $2,000.00
    New Sails and Miscellaneous Parts $4,500.00
    Additional Parts for Boat $1,000.00
    Graphics on primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00 Is this a requirement? I would skip it.
    Graphics for application to hulls, and support vehicles $400.00 Same as above. Seems unnecessary.
    Daily Professional Marine Meteorologist Forecasting for Entire Race $600.00 I'll trust my predict wind app.
    Competitor’s Race Apparel (Dry Suits, Life Jackets, Gloves, etc.) $2,000.00 I sail on lake Michigan. consider me equipped.
    Lodging (3 Rooms/Night @ $125 x 15 Nights) $5,625.00 a Park bench will feel like a 5 star hotel after a day on the water, and if I can be within arms reach off my crew all day. I can share a room with my crew at night. When I race I sleep in my enclosed trailer. Not a suitable option every night, but some nights no problem. Lodging:

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Half my post was deleted... as I was saying

Lodging: A park bench will feel like a 5 star hotel after a day on the water. If I can share a small beach cat with a friend all day I can share a room with a friend at night. Secondly when I race cars I sleep in my trailer so while not a suitable option every night. I can "camp" some nights.
    Lodging

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I give up... point I’m trying to make is the trip can be executed for a lot less money.

Am I optimistic or Ignorant?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin, you do need ground crew. They will work hard. The park bench isnt gonna cut it for them.

Sure you can trim lots of fat from the above budgets, teaming up for ground crew would certainly really save money.

The very large hurdle to my friends who could compete is the time required. Not many of us can swing 2.5 weeks off.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • In 1975 my friend Don Sapikowski and I "raced" up the length of Lake Michigan, 300 miles, for the cost of 3 dinners and gas for "back up man" to bring trailer up to Mackinaw City. Kevin, let's do another one. Pete
  • QuoteGraphics on primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00 Is this a requirement? I would skip it.
    Graphics for application to hulls, and support vehicles $400.00 Same as above. Seems unnecessary.

These are for the sponsors - not the people on the boat
  • MN3
    QuoteGraphics on primary sails (Main, Jib, and Spinnaker) $3,250.00 Is this a requirement? I would skip it.

These are for the sponsors - not the people on the boat

If you're referring to the event sponsors, the individual teams shouldn't have to pay for it in addition to entry fee.
    If you're referring to a team sponsor, then you'd also assume to include whatever they sponsored in your totals.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Sail Graphics: Sponsors expect to see their name on the boat, so if you have sponsors, this is a mandatory cost

Hull Graphics: SI's limit team graphics to aft of the main beam. Race graphics do not cost the teams, however anything else they want to add obviously does.

Hotels: Go sail that race... trust me, you want to get the best, most comfortable sleep that you can every night. You seriously have to take care of yourself from the start b/c the physical toll adds up. Once you hit the beach, the first things you want are beer/food, water, get your hands dry and taken care of and hope your ground crew can take care of the boat for you b/c you need sleep.

Gear: Again, weekend warrior stuff doesn't cut it. You won't make it through this race with a wetsuit (at least not without having chafe, rash and/or fungus in places that you don't want it). Also, I'm not going to wear an old worn out life jacket or trap harness out there... have you seen the conditions? You can start the race with brand new gear... it won't look that way by the end.

Forecasting: Makes the difference between winning and losing... and that isn't a joke.

We do our best to run races on a shoestring, but you can't go into this half baked. We share rooms and keep things as simple as possible, but there is only so much that you can do to cut cost. I always price shop the hotels and will walk across the street if needed to save $50 a night, but you can't put a price on convenience of walking from your room to your boat fully geared up. The time savings from walking back and forth every time you need a tool or a part is huge!
  • QuoteIf you're referring to the event sponsors, the individual teams shouldn't have to pay for it in addition to entry fee.
    If you're referring to a team sponsor, then you'd also assume to include whatever they sponsored in your totals.

Teams are responsible to have their team name on the mainsail (both sides) - this is the responsibility (cost) of the team (see 11.6)

The race organizers will place Race Logos and Sponsors on the front of the boat. The cost for these decals are part of your entrance fees (i believe) (see 11.7)

sponsor are permitted: costs are the responsibility of the team - although it could be presumed the sponsor's $ will be used. however this is still an cost to the team... regardless of where the money comes from so ... it's part of the calculation of costs)

form the NOR:
    11.6. The Team Name (as defined) shall be clearly visible and printed or affixed to both
    sides of the mainsail in five (5) inch tall (minimum) high contrast lettering.
    11.7. The Race Management shall have the exclusive right to use each team’s boat hulls
    forward of the front cross beam for the display of race and/or race sponsor(s) decals.
    Said decals shall:
    a) Represent or depict sponsors of the Worrell 1000 Reunion Race and not individual teams.
    b) Be affixed to each hull in approximately the same manner, number, configuration
    and position.
    c) Be affixed to the boat hulls prior to skipper’s meeting on the first day of racing.
    11.8. Race organizers/officials shall be permitted reasonable access to each boat in order to
    apply, maintain and/or replace said decals as necessary.
    11.9. Boats with damaged or missing decals may not be allowed to start any leg of this race.
    It shall be the responsibility of each team to notify race officials of damaged or missing decals as soon as possible upon completing a leg.
    11.10. The term hull(s) as used in this rule shall include the deck

Edited by MN3 on Apr 16, 2019 - 03:48 PM.
  • Have they posted the cities and dates yet? I haven’t seen them, I want to try and catch some of the north Florida, South Georgia legs if they fall on a weekend

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.