Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boat ramp launching  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I recently picked up a Prindle 16.
    I live about 2 blocks from a boat ramp but miles away from a useable beach. I am looking for any tips from anyone who’s launched from a ramp. I would really like to avoid dunking the trailer.
    Should add, no beach wheels currently.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • I'd recommend dunking the trailer. Put PVC pipes on the side rollers (like power boat trailers) to help you mange the launch in the incoming surf. You will also need a second hand with bow and stern lines to tie to the windward dock. Your spare hand can use their feet to keep the boat clear of the dock. All of this is no fun BTW.
    You may consider anchoring your boat off shore for hoisting sails. I hate having anchors on the cat. You may be able to leave it with a line to a buoy and wade out to retrieve it when you come back in.
    If you have to have you mast down for getting to the launch then it is not much more effort to find a ramp with a neighboring beach to paddle to for setup. Sorry for rambling.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Complicated. Was afraid of that.
    Probably easier to petition the city to clear a path to the water’s edge. We can sell it as a kayak launch... icon_biggrin

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • " but miles away from a useable beach"
    how far? under 15 miles = drive to the beach

otherwise ... it's not all that hard to launch of a boat ramp but not optimal

everything to do with catamaran sailing is "complicated" until you figure out your system
  • I agree- dunk the trailer. They’re designed for it. Just make sure you service your bearings regularly and inspect for corrosion/rinse the trailer if you’re dunking in salt water. The only other consideration is if you have a boat box, be aware that if it isn’t sealed, it will fill with water. If it is sealed, it may start to float the trailer.

If the ramp is large and/or uncrowded, you can put down a large piece of scrap carpet and make your own “beach” for rigging. Definitely easier to hoist sails and launch from a beach rather than a dock if possible.

sm
  • I launch from ramps exclusively. It can be a pain. I find a boat hook most useful. I have one that doubles as a paddle.
    I like dock lines for and aft. Whenever possible I paddle to the nearest sandbar to rig up and down. If you have to rig at the dock, find a way to tie off so you drift downwind as far from the dock as possible. My boat gets real unruly at dockside. Keep the rudders up.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • MN3" but miles away from a useable beach"
    how far? under 15 miles = drive to the beach

otherwise ... it's not all that hard to launch of a boat ramp but not optimal

everything to do with catamaran sailing is "complicated" until you figure out your system

It’s probably 15 miles or so. Maybe more.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • DogboyI agree- dunk the trailer. They’re designed for it. Just make sure you service your bearings regularly and inspect for corrosion/rinse the trailer if you’re dunking in salt water. The only other consideration is if you have a boat box, be aware that if it isn’t sealed, it will fill with water. If it is sealed, it may start to float the trailer.

If the ramp is large and/or uncrowded, you can put down a large piece of scrap carpet and make your own “beach” for rigging. Definitely easier to hoist sails and launch from a beach rather than a dock if possible.

sm

The cat box is what I’ve really been trying to keep out of the water.
    Carpet...That is quite the idea. It is a neighborhood ramp, so it’s usually pretty empty.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • gahambyI launch from ramps exclusively. It can be a pain. I find a boat hook most useful. I have one that doubles as a paddle.
    I like dock lines for and aft. Whenever possible I paddle to the nearest sandbar to rig up and down. If you have to rig at the dock, find a way to tie off so you drift downwind as far from the dock as possible. My boat gets real unruly at dockside. Keep the rudders up.

Our ramp is on a windward shore so keeping her off the dockside isn’t a problem. Paddling out to a place to finish rigging isn’t really an option. It’s all bulkhead and rock, with the exception of a tiny sliver of sandy beach in some brush close by. This is where I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
    Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Trailers are fine for getting wet, but you need to be sure any lights are sealed, and I suggest using "bearing buddies". The Bearing Buddy is a spring loaded grease feeder with a zerk fitting that displace water and ensure the bearings stay lubricated. I have never had a problem since using these, and they simply replace the bearing cap.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Quote"I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
    Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no."

Best of luck
    if it were where i live & you tried to "cut a path" without permission. - they would castrate you, then burn you, then bury you, then ticket you - even with permission - you would need payouts, bribes and permits. and then they would change their mind and make you glue the bush and trees back together
  • tominpaTrailers are fine for getting wet, but you need to be sure any lights are sealed, and I suggest using "bearing buddies". The Bearing Buddy is a spring loaded grease feeder with a zerk fitting that displace water and ensure the bearings stay lubricated. I have never had a problem since using these, and they simply replace the bearing cap.

Have the bearing buddies. I have the little tiny tires so any way to keep those bearings cool and lubricated is insurance.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • MN3
    Quote"I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
    Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no."

Best of luck
    if it were where i live & you tried to "cut a path" without permission. - they would castrate you, then burn you, then bury you, then ticket you - even with permission - you would need payouts, bribes and permits. and then they would change their mind and make you glue the bush and trees back together

Haha! Sounds about right. I know people use a little foot path to get back to it with kayaks. I just want to widen it a bit. Say in the 8+ foot range. Call it a self-funded city improvement project. icon_lol

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • If you are going to try the footpath...

- check whether it's viable mast up, wrt trees/branches overhead
    - get/borrow some beach wheels if possible -- some have the wheels inside of the hulls, those use a much a narrower track

Ideally you can stand the rig on the trailer, lower the boat to the beach wheels, walk it through the path. Set sails up on the beach...
  • martin_langhoffIf you are going to try the footpath...

- check whether it's viable mast up, wrt trees/branches overhead
    - get/borrow some beach wheels if possible -- some have the wheels inside of the hulls, those use a much a narrower track

Ideally you can stand the rig on the trailer, lower the boat to the beach wheels, walk it through the path. Set sails up on the beach...

I need to check because I know there are some power lines in the area. I know there are branches overhead, this is likely to draw complaints when I get out there with a chainsaw...
    Beach Wheels are on my "need to buy" list, but for now I have a trailer dolly. Hoping that will suffice.

Now I know the F18 I was racing on never got rigged on the trailer so as to minimize point loading. Every other cat I have seen rigged on the trailer and then slide it off. Is there really any danger to 35+ year old hulls to be doing this?

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • QuoteIs there really any danger to 35+ year old hulls to be doing this?

Damn,I hope not. My cat's 36 years old.

Edited by gahamby on Mar 18, 2019 - 07:14 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • Two or four old tires can very useful for rigging and for launching without dunking the box.
  • Without seeing the launch site, but based on your claim that it is generally uncrowded, my recommendation would be to get yourself a decent set of beach wheels and chocks/pads for the sterns. Park the trailer somewhere near the ramp, step the mast and do all that stuff. Then put the boat on the beach wheels and walk it to the ramp. Hoist the sails and roll it into the water just like you would do at any other beach. Leave the beach wheels/chocks near the launch so your crew can grab them and put them under the boat when you return to the beach.

You can step the mast either on or off the trailer. A Prindle 16’s hulls should be fine either way.

Be careful walking the boat up and down the ramp as they can get very slippery. Definitely wear a decent pair of sneakers when doing this.

sm
  • Beachwheel it down the ramp instead of trailering?! Hoist the sail up on the ramp?!
    I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

Edited by gahamby on Mar 19, 2019 - 05:56 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    --
  • I think the question is how to do it without beach wheels. But yes, too many people regret having waited too long.

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.