Boat ramp launching

I recently picked up a Prindle 16.
I live about 2 blocks from a boat ramp but miles away from a useable beach. I am looking for any tips from anyone who’s launched from a ramp. I would really like to avoid dunking the trailer.
Should add, no beach wheels currently.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
'02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
--
I'd recommend dunking the trailer. Put PVC pipes on the side rollers (like power boat trailers) to help you mange the launch in the incoming surf. You will also need a second hand with bow and stern lines to tie to the windward dock. Your spare hand can use their feet to keep the boat clear of the dock. All of this is no fun BTW.
You may consider anchoring your boat off shore for hoisting sails. I hate having anchors on the cat. You may be able to leave it with a line to a buoy and wade out to retrieve it when you come back in.
If you have to have you mast down for getting to the launch then it is not much more effort to find a ramp with a neighboring beach to paddle to for setup. Sorry for rambling.

--
FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
--
Complicated. Was afraid of that.
Probably easier to petition the city to clear a path to the water’s edge. We can sell it as a kayak launch... icon_biggrin

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
" but miles away from a useable beach"
how far? under 15 miles = drive to the beach

otherwise ... it's not all that hard to launch of a boat ramp but not optimal

everything to do with catamaran sailing is "complicated" until you figure out your system
I agree- dunk the trailer. They’re designed for it. Just make sure you service your bearings regularly and inspect for corrosion/rinse the trailer if you’re dunking in salt water. The only other consideration is if you have a boat box, be aware that if it isn’t sealed, it will fill with water. If it is sealed, it may start to float the trailer.

If the ramp is large and/or uncrowded, you can put down a large piece of scrap carpet and make your own “beach” for rigging. Definitely easier to hoist sails and launch from a beach rather than a dock if possible.

sm
I launch from ramps exclusively. It can be a pain. I find a boat hook most useful. I have one that doubles as a paddle.
I like dock lines for and aft. Whenever possible I paddle to the nearest sandbar to rig up and down. If you have to rig at the dock, find a way to tie off so you drift downwind as far from the dock as possible. My boat gets real unruly at dockside. Keep the rudders up.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
MN3" but miles away from a useable beach"
how far? under 15 miles = drive to the beach

otherwise ... it's not all that hard to launch of a boat ramp but not optimal

everything to do with catamaran sailing is "complicated" until you figure out your system

It’s probably 15 miles or so. Maybe more.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
DogboyI agree- dunk the trailer. They’re designed for it. Just make sure you service your bearings regularly and inspect for corrosion/rinse the trailer if you’re dunking in salt water. The only other consideration is if you have a boat box, be aware that if it isn’t sealed, it will fill with water. If it is sealed, it may start to float the trailer.

If the ramp is large and/or uncrowded, you can put down a large piece of scrap carpet and make your own “beach” for rigging. Definitely easier to hoist sails and launch from a beach rather than a dock if possible.

sm

The cat box is what I’ve really been trying to keep out of the water.
Carpet...That is quite the idea. It is a neighborhood ramp, so it’s usually pretty empty.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
gahambyI launch from ramps exclusively. It can be a pain. I find a boat hook most useful. I have one that doubles as a paddle.
I like dock lines for and aft. Whenever possible I paddle to the nearest sandbar to rig up and down. If you have to rig at the dock, find a way to tie off so you drift downwind as far from the dock as possible. My boat gets real unruly at dockside. Keep the rudders up.

Our ramp is on a windward shore so keeping her off the dockside isn’t a problem. Paddling out to a place to finish rigging isn’t really an option. It’s all bulkhead and rock, with the exception of a tiny sliver of sandy beach in some brush close by. This is where I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Trailers are fine for getting wet, but you need to be sure any lights are sealed, and I suggest using "bearing buddies". The Bearing Buddy is a spring loaded grease feeder with a zerk fitting that displace water and ensure the bearings stay lubricated. I have never had a problem since using these, and they simply replace the bearing cap.

--
Tom
NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
Pennsylvania
--
Quote"I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no."

Best of luck
if it were where i live & you tried to "cut a path" without permission. - they would castrate you, then burn you, then bury you, then ticket you - even with permission - you would need payouts, bribes and permits. and then they would change their mind and make you glue the bush and trees back together
tominpaTrailers are fine for getting wet, but you need to be sure any lights are sealed, and I suggest using "bearing buddies". The Bearing Buddy is a spring loaded grease feeder with a zerk fitting that displace water and ensure the bearings stay lubricated. I have never had a problem since using these, and they simply replace the bearing cap.

Have the bearing buddies. I have the little tiny tires so any way to keep those bearings cool and lubricated is insurance.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
MN3
Quote"I’m thinking about asking what it would take for the city to allow me to clear a path.
Then again, what’s that old saying? Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission and be told no."

Best of luck
if it were where i live & you tried to "cut a path" without permission. - they would castrate you, then burn you, then bury you, then ticket you - even with permission - you would need payouts, bribes and permits. and then they would change their mind and make you glue the bush and trees back together

Haha! Sounds about right. I know people use a little foot path to get back to it with kayaks. I just want to widen it a bit. Say in the 8+ foot range. Call it a self-funded city improvement project. icon_lol

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
If you are going to try the footpath...

- check whether it's viable mast up, wrt trees/branches overhead
- get/borrow some beach wheels if possible -- some have the wheels inside of the hulls, those use a much a narrower track

Ideally you can stand the rig on the trailer, lower the boat to the beach wheels, walk it through the path. Set sails up on the beach...
martin_langhoffIf you are going to try the footpath...

- check whether it's viable mast up, wrt trees/branches overhead
- get/borrow some beach wheels if possible -- some have the wheels inside of the hulls, those use a much a narrower track

Ideally you can stand the rig on the trailer, lower the boat to the beach wheels, walk it through the path. Set sails up on the beach...

I need to check because I know there are some power lines in the area. I know there are branches overhead, this is likely to draw complaints when I get out there with a chainsaw...
Beach Wheels are on my "need to buy" list, but for now I have a trailer dolly. Hoping that will suffice.

Now I know the F18 I was racing on never got rigged on the trailer so as to minimize point loading. Every other cat I have seen rigged on the trailer and then slide it off. Is there really any danger to 35+ year old hulls to be doing this?

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
QuoteIs there really any danger to 35+ year old hulls to be doing this?

Damn,I hope not. My cat's 36 years old.

Edited by gahamby on Mar 18, 2019 - 07:14 PM.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
Two or four old tires can very useful for rigging and for launching without dunking the box.
Without seeing the launch site, but based on your claim that it is generally uncrowded, my recommendation would be to get yourself a decent set of beach wheels and chocks/pads for the sterns. Park the trailer somewhere near the ramp, step the mast and do all that stuff. Then put the boat on the beach wheels and walk it to the ramp. Hoist the sails and roll it into the water just like you would do at any other beach. Leave the beach wheels/chocks near the launch so your crew can grab them and put them under the boat when you return to the beach.

You can step the mast either on or off the trailer. A Prindle 16’s hulls should be fine either way.

Be careful walking the boat up and down the ramp as they can get very slippery. Definitely wear a decent pair of sneakers when doing this.

sm
Beachwheel it down the ramp instead of trailering?! Hoist the sail up on the ramp?!
I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.

Edited by gahamby on Mar 19, 2019 - 05:56 PM.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
I think the question is how to do it without beach wheels. But yes, too many people regret having waited too long.
DogboyWithout seeing the launch site, but based on your claim that it is generally uncrowded, my recommendation would be to get yourself a decent set of beach wheels and chocks/pads for the sterns. Park the trailer somewhere near the ramp, step the mast and do all that stuff. Then put the boat on the beach wheels and walk it to the ramp. Hoist the sails and roll it into the water just like you would do at any other beach. Leave the beach wheels/chocks near the launch so your crew can grab them and put them under the boat when you return to the beach.

You can step the mast either on or off the trailer. A Prindle 16’s hulls should be fine either way.

Be careful walking the boat up and down the ramp as they can get very slippery. Definitely wear a decent pair of sneakers when doing this.

sm

Solid advice. Sadly no beach wheels right now. The other problem is I will be solo. Having pulled a dinghy up that ramp with a dolly, there's zero way I'm hauling a P16 rigged up that ramp.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
Yes, beach wheel it on the ramp using the ramp just like any other beach launch. Nowhere did I suggest to sail up on the ramp.

The alternatives to this are to either hoist the sails with the boat on the trailer and back the trailer into the water and tie off at the dock or back the boat into the water using the trailer, tie off to the dock and then hoist the sails with the boat in the water. Both of these options will be more difficult and prone to disaster if the wind is strong and/or coming from a less than ideal direction.

As long as you’re not clogging up a busy launch ramp, just wheel the boat down to water’s edge and rig it like you would anywhere else.

If beach wheels are not available, then back down the ramp with the trailer. But my point is, avoid using a dock and driving around on the trailer with the sails up if at all possible. As long as the ramp isn’t crowded, beach launch from the ramp.

sm
DogboyYes, beach wheel it on the ramp using the ramp just like any other beach launch. Nowhere did I suggest to sail up on the ramp.

The alternatives to this are to either hoist the sails with the boat on the trailer and back the trailer into the water and tie off at the dock or back the boat into the water using the trailer, tie off to the dock and then hoist the sails with the boat in the water. Both of these options will be more difficult and prone to disaster if the wind is strong and/or coming from a less than ideal direction.

As long as you’re not clogging up a busy launch ramp, just wheel the boat down to water’s edge and rig it like you would anywhere else.

If beach wheels are not available, then back down the ramp with the trailer. But my point is, avoid using a dock and driving around on the trailer with the sails up if at all possible. As long as the ramp isn’t crowded, beach launch from the ramp.

sm

I see what you're saying and I think it could be done.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
If you are solo - you are (possibly) in for real trouble if you get to the ramp and it's windy either launching or retrieving.

getting a cat on a trailer (even submerged) can be a pita in wind, unless it is a perfect "tail wind" it's gonna be pushing the boat all around

Unless you are highly skilled - i would suggest you just drive the 15 miles to a proper beach launch site and save yourself (and anyone else waiting to use the ramp) a lot of stress

your "title" says you are at the Texas City Dike Yacht Club...
don't they have beach launching?
MN3If you are solo - you are (possibly) in for real trouble if you get to the ramp and it's windy either launching or retrieving.

getting a cat on a trailer (even submerged) can be a pita in wind, unless it is a perfect "tail wind" it's gonna be pushing the boat all around

Unless you are highly skilled - i would suggest you just drive the 15 miles to a proper beach launch site and save yourself (and anyone else waiting to use the ramp) a lot of stress

your "title" says you are at the Texas City Dike Yacht Club...
don't they have beach launching?

That they do. I am an officer for them and help them out however I can. However, I am not what one would call local to Texas City. It's a solid 2.5-3 hour drive to the dike. If I go for an event, it's an all weekend campout.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
gotcha - what is the "local" launch spot (beach)
MN3gotcha - what is the "local" launch spot (beach)

Magnolia Beach is where most people go. It’s a drive to be sure but that’s the most local to me.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
sure looks like a great place to launch (according to google)
MN3sure looks like a great place to launch (according to google)

Assuming the beach isn't filled with RV's (Thanks to a new city ordinance) it can be. The few things I really dislike, is the drive for one. I can literally walk to the water and put my feet in the water, but to put the boat in the water, it's a whole endeavor. Secondly, the beach is a dredging spoil beach as most are around here and the shell is freaking rough on hands, feet and hulls.

--
Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
'82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
--
QuoteNowhere did I suggest to sail up on the ramp.

Sorry I worded that poorly. I've edited my post.
I still disagree with the idea of hoisting the sail with the boat on the ramp.
I think you would grind up the bottoms trying to get her head to wind.
I launch and then tie off to the dock so I'm blowing off downwind of the dock.
I raise the sail with the boat in the water.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
https://www.google.com/ma…d28.5602765!4d-96.542754

Is this the spot? Is that a public ramp? Is that a public beach to the right of the ramp.
If yes I'd step the mast near the ramp, launch, and paddle around to the beach and hoist sail there.
Could you go from trailer to beach wheel at that beach and rig up
right on the beach?

Edited by gahamby on Mar 19, 2019 - 06:29 PM.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
--
badfish

The other problem is I will be solo. Having pulled a dinghy up that ramp with a dolly, there's zero way I'm hauling a P16 rigged up that ramp.

You can use the winch. Beach wheels required
gahamby
I still disagree with the idea of hoisting the sail with the boat on the ramp.
I think you would grind up the bottoms trying to get her head to wind.

It’s only going to grind the hulls if you place the boat directly on the ramp surface. As I said in previous replies, the options to prevent damaging the hulls would be to either put down a large piece of carpet or put the boat on beach wheels and use chocks/padding on the sterns. Both of these I have done or seen others do when rigging on hard surfaces. Better than having your boat tied to a dock banging around and trying to sail away or capsize IMO.

sm
Andinista
badfish

The other problem is I will be solo. Having pulled a dinghy up that ramp with a dolly, there's zero way I'm hauling a P16 rigged up that ramp.

You can use the winch. Beach wheels required

1 set of wheels? - 1 person - 1 winch .... up the ramp?

I could see it with the trailer in the water but just the cat up the ramp?
that would require balancing the boat perfectly, and not tipping while winching ... sounds difficult
It depends on the angle of the ramp. I always take the boat off the trailer and back in with the wheels, but on a flat spot. The small wheels in front of the trailer are adjustable and alow to adjust the back cradles height to slide the bows in easy. At that point i secure the boat to the trailer with a quick knot (i have a tow line always handy). Then slide the wheels back and continue with the winch. If you have rollers it should be much easier and alow for some angle. If done with the back cradles just above the water it should be much easier, but not below, as you say it would be hard to keep the boat in place. In my case i almost never move the trailer, it’s just where I store the boat (otherwise I should pay for the cat and the trailer)
gotcha, trailer at the water's edge ...
not with the trailer up the ramp
I actually have a second set of wheels, but to optimize the process:
https://www.thebeachcats.…4541e313d716ae97b6afe576
These wheels serve two purposes:
Avoid sliding the other wheels back, which takes some time and is not so good for the hull bottoms, and replace the hull chocks (at a very similar price)
But they are not sturdy enough, so I don’t promote the idea

Edited by Andinista on Mar 20, 2019 - 06:54 PM.
When we belonged to the yacht club, I exclusively launched from a ramp. I had installed 2 1" PVC vertical tubes on the inside sterns. These would keep the stern aligned when I pulled the boat out. I had the system down where I would dunk the trailer where the front hull support was almost to the water. This would hold the boat on the trailer. I don't have a sail box for this reason, and I don't have one anymore. To keep the box on the trailer and dry, you could back the trailer down the ramp until the back end of the box get to water. Bring the boat to the trailer and just pull it up onto the trailer. This gets tiring at the end of the day. Install a winch and winch it up. Or, build a block and tackle. Either go around the mast step, which is strong enough on the Prindle, or make a quick bridle that attaches to the front cross beam. The bridle may help bring the boat straight as the single point may allow the boat to pivot around until the bows are on the front supports. The big trick is planning your wind direction. For a ramp that I used on the Bay, I stored the boat backwards on the trailer because the wind blew onto the ramp. You can beat up rudders doing this, be careful. I have installed a lot of the dock guards at the ramps so that I don't scratch everything.

--
Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
Nacra 5.0
Nacra 5.8
Tornadoes (Reg White)
--
Not sure what your ramp's like. On the two ramps I use I can back up until the bottom of the trailer wheels are just on the edge of the water. I can slide the boat off the trailer, then walk it over to the beach next to the ramp and finish rigging. To load it I do the opposite with two people, at least, it's pretty easy easy to pivot the boat onto the trailer and then slide it on (at the back of my trailer the hulls are on rollers).
Each summer for the Tri-Point Anacapa Race about half the racers launch from the Ventura Ramp parking lot using Cat Trax and foam pads for the transoms. The rest of us back our trailer down the ramp until the rear trailer crossbar is just above the water (wheel bearings stay dry) and push the cat into the drink. In both cases, the mainsails are on the trampoline and the jib is rigged and not sheeted (or roller furled). Once on the water, we tie off to the furthest point on the dock (the absolute end is best) and raise the main from the trampoline. Raising the main this way in not my favorite, but with a coordinated effort with your crew is can be well done.

We trailer 900 miles round trip for the race, so even though I use Bearing Buddy's and the covers, I'm careful with my wheel bearings.

The angle of the ramp allows the two of us to push the boat back up on the trailer, but it is not easy. I have fantasized about an electric winch pulling up the cat by the front crossbeam, and using it to help me raise and lower the mast.

MN3If you are solo - you are (possibly) in for real trouble if you get to the ramp and it's windy either launching or retrieving.

Agreed. This can be a terrifying situation.

Edited by klozhald on Apr 08, 2019 - 06:57 PM.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
Quote"I have fantasized about an electric winch pulling up the cat by the front crossbeam, and using it to help . me raise and lower the mast."

We have an "older" guy on our beach that uses a winch/remote on his (gcat) mast for both stepping and unstepping - seems to work well for him

I had a dream... using a winch to help pull my cat/trailer into my backyard so i didn't have to wrestle my 500lb cat and 800lb trailer into my back yard (solo) every week ...

i purchased a harbor freight atv winch and built an anchor/platform for it

set it up and hit the remote .... all was great for about 20 seconds and then it stopped - wouldn't start again
so i re-read the owner manual ... and called up a friend about duty cycles. ends up this HF turd would go about 20 seconds in the fl heat and then take a 15 min break

i would advise anyone who wants a winch for this to do a lot of homework on the duty cycle of the winch

on a totally unrelated note: i have a hardly used HF winch for sale :)
Launching and landing from a ramp can be tricky, particularly when the wind blows perpendicular to the docks, as it usually does in Ventura. I was so familiar with my old Hobie 18, that I would land at the end of the dock. the big BIG risk here is that if the bow clocks around to the windward side of the dock, you are totally screwed, with the boat on a beam reach down the dock with no way to stop it. I only had one time where that situation started to develop so I just pushed off the dock and tried again. You really have to be aware of this developing and abort right away.

Below is a video of one of my landings at the end of a dock, which starts at the 3:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OciFVggYvB4

Or watch the whole think if you'd like to see my annotated screw ups with the down haul line and tiller stick.

I think I pulled this method off once with the Prindle 19 in light air. You really have to know the boat behavior to pull this off and I am just not there yet with the Prindle. So the other method is the raise the boards and starboard rudder in advance, then come in on a beach reach between the ramps (scaring the crap out of any bystanders on the ramp), then rounding up at the last second, jumping off on the ramp side, getting control of the bow, and walking it to the dock. This is not all that easy either.

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
--
mattsonLaunching and landing from a ramp can be tricky, particularly when the wind blows perpendicular to the docks, as it usually does in Ventura. I was so familiar with my old Hobie 18, that I would land at the end of the dock. the big BIG risk here is that if the bow clocks around to the windward side of the dock, you are totally screwed, with the boat on a beam reach down the dock with no way to stop it. I only had one time where that situation started to develop so I just pushed off the dock and tried again. You really have to be aware of this developing and abort right away.

Below is a video of one of my landings at the end of a dock, which starts at the 3:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OciFVggYvB4

Or watch the whole think if you'd like to see my annotated screw ups with the down haul line and tiller stick.

I think I pulled this method off once with the Prindle 19 in light air. You really have to know the boat behavior to pull this off and I am just not there yet with the Prindle. So the other method is the raise the boards and starboard rudder in advance, then come in on a beach reach between the ramps (scaring the crap out of any bystanders on the ramp), then rounding up at the last second, jumping off on the ramp side, getting control of the bow, and walking it to the dock. This is not all that easy either.

WOW !
Impressive single handed docking w/gybe in big wind! It's a lot to think about solo.

I single-handed yesterday, where our beach launch requires us to go shallow, round up 180º, unlock our floating wheels, load the boat on them and then push it uphill backwards onto the beach. Very manageable in heavy wind w/2 people and a Hobie rudder system, but rudders on older boats like my P18 (and your P19) do not unlock manually. Solo, I need to ground them first. Either that or jump off in just the right depth, kick them up by hand and race to the front before the bows start moving again.

I found that having the Hawaiian righting system with a chicken line running down the side of the hulls makes it much easier to handle the boat as you walk all around it by yourself. It helps me avoid backing the rudders in the sand or having a runaway cat. I think it would help quite a bit when docking, as well.

Sailing in warm water with tide ranges of less than 3 feet helps too.

Bill, your docking technique was pretty, but we'd like to see your video outtakes some day. icon_eek

--
Prindle 18
--
I've dock landed a few times with my prindle 19.

The way I usually do it is land into the wind or close to and completely blow the main. I also keep my jib halyard (detached part) tied onto my by bridle lines to use as a bow painter if needed and I'll grab that and hold it tight and back the boat into a cleat. The. Use my righting line as a spring. I also have used my righting line as a spring when landing on more of a reach

--
Captain Chris Holley
Fulshear, TX
'87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
'74 sunfish "1fish"
--
MattsonSo the other method is the raise the boards and starboard rudder in advance, then come in on a beach reach between the ramps (scaring the crap out of any bystanders on the ramp), then rounding up at the last second, jumping off on the ramp side, getting control of the bow, and walking it to the dock. This is not all that easy either.

Bill's elegant dismount at the end of the dock in this video is beyond us mortals, so the rest of us have to make do with the technique he describes above. It all happens so quick, you have to pull up the starboard rudder and centerboard before you gybe, and keep all your lines clear and in-hand during the reach between the docks so you can dump power and cut into the wind simultaneously. Many have mis-timed this and crashed into the dock under power (and under-insured!).

In other news, rumor has it Bobby Martinez once sailed up virtually to the concrete at his crew's insistence because they were being followed by a shark and the crew wanted really shallow water to jump into. Film @ 11.

Edited by klozhald on Apr 08, 2019 - 07:47 PM.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
Arizona, USA
--
MN3so i re-read the owner manual ... and called up a friend about duty cycles. ends up this HF turd would go about 20 seconds in the fl heat and then take a 15 min break

i would advise anyone who wants a winch for this to do a lot of homework on the duty cycle of the winch

You related this in a post a few years back when I was scouting for a winch and looking at the same HF you used. What I found was that in the less than $100 range all the winches through Amazon and eBay with decent duty cycles pulled at a 1.7 foot-per-minute speed. Really frustrating, but less than if I had not seen your post and bought what I was looking at before.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
Arizona, USA
--
When a trailer and beach wheels are not viable options, a couple 10ft sections of 4” or larger pvc pipe will roll your boat beautifully.

If it was good enuff to build the pyramids,.. woohoo peitsche

--
Prindle 18
--
QuoteYou related this in a post a few years back

I thought the story sounded familiar :)

QuoteWhen a trailer and beach wheels are not viable options, a couple 10ft sections of 4” or larger pvc pipe will roll your boat beautifully.

+1
nohuhuImpressive single handed docking w/gybe in big wind! It's a lot to think about solo.

I single-handed yesterday, where our beach launch requires us to go shallow, round up 180º, unlock our floating wheels, load the boat on them and then push it uphill backwards onto the beach. Very manageable in heavy wind w/2 people and a Hobie rudder system, but rudders on older boats like my P18 (and your P19) do not unlock manually. Solo, I need to ground them first. Either that or jump off in just the right depth, kick them up by hand and race to the front before the bows start moving again.

I found that having the Hawaiian righting system with a chicken line running down the side of the hulls makes it much easier to handle the boat as you walk all around it by yourself. It helps me avoid backing the rudders in the sand or having a runaway cat. I think it would help quite a bit when docking, as well.

Sailing in warm water with tide ranges of less than 3 feet helps too.

Bill, your docking technique was pretty, but we'd like to see your video outtakes some day. icon_eek

I can see the Hawaiian righting system would be really handy to control a boat solo. Instant handling of the bow and stern.

No outtakes were filmed. I think it is amazing that I stuck the landing with a camera running.

--
Bill Mattson
Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
--