Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 in great condition. 84 model. Whats it really worth?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteYou got a fantabilous first boat....

Thank You, Im excited about it!

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Looking at the mainsail I see very little wear on the luff rope, the logo and numbers are not faded, the panels still have bright color and I see no wear on any of the batten pockets, were the shrouds and trap wires would hit showing excess wear. To me the wrinkles indicate very little use rather than excessive use. Looking at the jib as well there appears to be very little use. Look at the tack and clew of the jib. Lookin at the rest of the boat as a whole shows minimal use. I was a Prindle dealer and have owned several since the late 70s. I think I know what I am looking at. Very few boats of this year are in as good a shape as this one. It is not a good find, it is a great find.
    Just go sailing.
  • Thanks HullFlyer! I thought it was a good find! But now I know Better! icon_biggrin

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Here are the Transoms

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130834&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=130838&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Congratulations and Welcome! Great find. Two tips regarding keeping those sails in good shape, beyond not leaving them out in the sun... Put some sail tape (clear works) on the batten pockets at the locations where the battens hit on the shrouds. Very important. Try not to let sail out onto shrouds unnecessarily when sailing. The other thing is to avoid letting the sails flap (flog) like a flag. Letting a sail flap/flog is a very quick way to destroy it. Most new sailors don't know this.... Just an FYI. Stuff I wish I was told when I started.
  • Thanks for the info! Knew about flapping, would've not really thought about the shrouds until It had chaffed through probably!

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • carzan
    QuoteWhere are you located?

Im in Texas. I will be sailing off the Beach just east of Galveston.

Great spot

there should be a decent amount of sailors around
    I highly recommend trying to join a club or fleet and do some racing as crew (most clubs/fleets want new people and are more than willing to take out newbies as crew)

I am not a racer but i learned early if you want to sail well - hang out with racers - they usually know how to sail and maximize / optimize their boats for each condition

alternatively - take that $500 you saved by not driving around and get a weekend lesson from Robbie Daniels (red gear racing) - he is a master sailor / coach
  • Carzan, you should join the texas city dike yacht club, great bunch of guys and great sailors. If you are interested in joining them pm me and I'll give you some contact names. Welcome aboard its a great sport.
  • Ste4

Thanks for the info. However, the Texas city dike is easily over an hour from where I am located due to the fact that I am on the Bolivar side of the ferry. I can literally see the dike from that end of the Peninsula but the Bay is in the way so to speak.

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Sweet Ride! It may be a little more cherry than mine. unschuldig

Someone already put a lot of money and effort into her and garaging the boat is a very good sign. They may have sales records for the rigging and other critical gear. Helps you now, and maybe later if you decide to upgrade.

Adding a furling rig and a righting system are the only things I needed to enjoy the P18 more.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • carzanSte4

Thanks for the info. However, the Texas city dike is easily over an hour from where I am located due to the fact that I am on the Bolivar side of the ferry. I can literally see the dike from that end of the Peninsula but the Bay is in the way so to speak.

Gotcha. The TCDYC does have a couple of regattas there, may be worth your drive to come and join in. Great racing. The Wayward winds regatta happens on the weekend of July 13. Sailors drive in from several hours away to be a part of this.
  • [quote=MN3]
    carzan
    QuoteWhere are you located?

alternatively - take that $500 you saved by not driving around and get a weekend lesson from Robbie Daniels (red gear racing) - he is a master sailor / coach

10/10 Can back that recommendation. Robbie and Jill run a great program!

TCDYC would love to have you join. They do offer beginner and advanced clinics, as well as a few regattas. Check them out on FB. I believe their 2019 calendar has been set (Visit their Events page).

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • That's vintage and that's worth it. :)

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.