Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 in great condition. 84 model. Whats it really worth?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• First off, hello and thanks to everyone on this forum for all the information I have soaked up over the past few weeks simply reading. As the title says, I have found a really nice Prindle 18 in excellent condition. Hulls, Sails, Rigging and trampoline all seem to be perfect. The boat was stored inside which really helped to minimize degradation. My question is what can this boat be worth? I have been searching for an older used beach cat and most of what I find is in need of a significant amount of work. Some boats out there do seem to be in better condition are either beyond a new sailor's capabilities from what I understand (which I was willing to take on) or are too far from me. I am going to buy this boat, just feeling like I may be paying a little too much. If it provides fun for me and my family for a few years it doesn't really matter I guess.

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --

• Edited by traphappy on Feb 10, 2019 - 09:26 PM.
  • QuoteNot preaching, just trying to save you some scratch! Or just buy it and sail it a lot!

I hear ya! Here is the thing i'm finding. Most of what I can find is a day of driving or more away. That means a hotel stay and gas and the time. So by the time I get a boat back that is in not so great of shape I will have another $500 minimum in gas and hotel not to mention just the hassle of a couple of days spent on the road and pulling a trailer back that far. Its worth a little extra I think to not have to do that. I am just not sure of how much extra I can justify!

Like you said about issues coming up once I try to sail it. That would really be frustrating!

The boat just really looks great though!

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • First off, you have picked a great boat. The Prindle 18 is a great, versatile boat. Sail condition is a big thing for me. Ragged out sails quickly get more ragged out and are expensive to replace. See if the seller can rig the boat for you and make sure it’s all there. Worn out trailers can be a headache as well. Not sure your area but we are a flooded market in Florida, nothing down here over 2k and even the ones closer to 1k aren’t moving.
  • Quoteflooded market in Florida, nothing down here over 2k and even the ones closer to 1k aren’t moving.

I think you have hit on what is bothering me. I know the market is very week for these boats. I spend Tons of time on a very crowded and busy beach area of texas and I only see a few beach cats each year. But I also know what I have been able to find. this has been a difficult search. Maybe because what I am wanting combined with being inexperienced at sailing. That makes this boat hit all the boxes for me. Again, Thank You for Input!

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Sorry I deleted my text above... I did not want to come off too strong... My experience has usually been that I get excited and overpay for boats. Then I start finding things wrong with them the moment I leave the seller's place. For example, you stop to get gas with the boat in tow, and notice an issue. Then, three more when you get home. $$$ Of course, the sails are key as well. That's where the money is on an old Prindle or most boats for that matter. Sails may look good, but if old Dacron, they could be blown out anyway. In other words, you could think of it not as buying a boat, but buying the sails. The boat is just something that you hang the sails on :) I second the idea that this is a buyer's market. How do you know what the price really is if you have not negotiated, as in walked away, at least eight times?

Edited by traphappy on Feb 10, 2019 - 11:04 PM.
  • QuoteHow do you know what the price really is if you have not negotiated, as in walked away...?

Good Point.

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Here are some pics

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c58.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c57.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c59.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c5a.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c51.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c53.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c54.xl.jpg

https://cdn.moreboats.com/boats/258532.5beccd33268e461eb4049c55.xl.jpg

Edited by carzan on Feb 11, 2019 - 02:35 AM.

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • Nice looking boat

what is it worth?... probably around 2 -4 k (4k would be in mint condition with newer sails)

as you said - is it really worth driving to find another good or not good boat?
    not to mention every mile you drive adds up the risk of something happening on the road (since you don't know the history of the trailer, bearings, tires, hidden rust, etc - this adds to the issue of buying a boat from 100's of miles away)

If there is little or no rust, no soft spots and the sails seem to be in decent shape... Go for it
    If the sails look really worm, then it may be worth looking at other boats and/or offering a lot less - but they look decent from the pics (i see no curve from shrinkage in the luff . that is a good sign of light wear)

I would DEFINITELY require the seller to rig the boat in the yard, or even better at the water
    I always suggest you take notes, or better yet video of the more intricate parts of the rigging (getting the main on and off the hook, rigging the jib, etc as there are lots of details that get lost easily
  • +1 to jalex

The prices for 70's and 80's era beachcats vary greatly. I am not sure about the Texas area market but I have a lot of experience in the SouthEast market, some experience in the NorthEast and California markets. I would estimate a similar boat in FL is half the price of the equivalent in NE or West Coast.

As jalex said in Florida you can see advertisements all year for decent and occasionally very good boats for under 2k with trailer. You have to know what to look for and good sails are more important than hull, boards, rudder condition in my opinion. Or, you can buy a cheap boat in good condition and accept you are going to have to buy new sails. I like the new sails approach better because sail design and build is so much better now than it was even 10 years ago.

Here is a decent but a bit dated Catamaran Buyers Guide. There is a specific checklist for Prindle 18:

http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

In the end it does not matter what boat you buy just get something and get on the water!

Brad in Jax
    Stiletto 27 on a 2 year plan.
  • Thanks to all for Input.

bradinjax - I had already found that guide earlier. Even though dated I thought it was a great tool! Especially for someone unfamiliar with these types of boats.

As I said in original post, I am buying the boat. I will simply hope it works as I had hoped in that I won't have a lot of expensive work by paying more for a boat upfront. The other upside is it seems like I may get delivery of the boat to my beach house complimentary! the guy I'm buying from seems to be straight up and genuine. So after spending last night giving it a lot of thought, and of course even more research, I am feeling good about this deal this morning. I will be the newest Prindle 18 owner on this board soon.

Not sure why, but this purchase is right in a gap where I get petty about money. Its just enough to be able to say thats a lot of dough and for some reason I get realllllly tight on 2-5k purchases. I hate that about myself!

Anyway, I really appreciate y'all openly providing input to a stranger. I feel sure this board will be of great help in the future!

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • If you do see a curve (which I doubt if you will) it is a good thing. These boats have what is called a bendy rig. With down haul and mainsheet tension the mast will bend. Original dacron sails were actually made with a luff curvature, so when the mast bends the sails will adapt to the bend. It was thought if a sail was a little difficult to raise it was a better faster sail than one that went up real easy
  • If anyone has a copy of Jack Sammons Welcome to A Fleet Book I Boatspeed and can post a picture of page 77 it will help explain what I mentioned in the previous post.
  • HULLFLYERIf you do see a curve (which I doubt if you will) it is a good thing. These boats have what is called a bendy rig. With down haul and mainsheet tension the mast will bend. Original dacron sails were actually made with a luff curvature, so when the mast bends the sails will adapt to the bend. It was thought if a sail was a little difficult to raise it was a better faster sail than one that went up real easy

I said curve from shrinkage - this is different than shape build into the sail
    if it was all wrinkled on the luff - it would tell me the sail had a fair amount of use, and the material stretched out but the bolt rope didn't -
  • Boat looks to be in great shape. Since we are talking somewhere in the 2-5k range.... There's a seemingly very nice Hobie Tiger (spinnaker boat!) listed for sale on this board (Ohio) for $4,500... That would be a Ferrari compared to the Prindle 18. But the P18 would be a perfect entry/family boat, fast, and tons of fun! The Dacron sails would be less worry as well. Prindle 18 at the beach house sounds awesome. Best of luck!!!!

Edited by traphappy on Feb 11, 2019 - 12:47 PM.
  • Now I'm going to need to learn how to sail!!! icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --
  • That looks to be in Bristol Condition. You got a fantabilous first boat.... this was my first catamaran as well...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • carzanNow I'm going to need to learn how to sail!!! icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Where are you located?
  • carzanNow I'm going to need to learn how to sail!!! icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Seemed like a good time to pass on some sage advice from someone older, wiser, and saltier than me:

"It is easy to learn to sail but really hard to learn to sail well."

Thanks Dad!
  • QuoteWhere are you located?

Im in Texas. I will be sailing off the Beach just east of Galveston.

--
    Prindle 18

Texas Gulf Coast
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.