Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Finding Nacra 5.0 Rudder Assembly  Bottom

• Hello,

Looking at a great deal for a Nacra 5.0 with a trailer. The owner, however, says he has not been able to find the rudders in his barn yet.

Does anyone know where I could find a set of rudders and castings?

If the rudders are not in the barn then the $600 doesn't look so great anymore.

Thanks!
  • There are many used castings on ebay for about $100 each. New about $375

https://www.murrays.com/product/56-4501/

Used rudders in decent shape will cost you about $200 each if you can find them. Caution, most used rudders I've seen have been beat all to hxxl. Or, new from Briscat, approx. $700/pr.

Last resort is to build a Hacra, and frankly I would love to try this myself, hang a set of Hobie 16 rudders on it. You might even be able to adapt the Hobie castings.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119418&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • markito787Hello,

Looking at a great deal for a Nacra 5.0 with a trailer. The owner, however, says he has not been able to find the rudders in his barn

The castings are not to hard to find, the blades are the issue. You can easily find blades for the round bottom hulls, ie N5.2, but the skeg hulls are a much tougher find. If you look at the N5.0 or 5.7 hulls from the side, you see the last couple of feet have a definite rise at the bottom. This means that the rudder blades must be longer in order to keep a decent amount of blade in the water. Don’t be tempted to buy some of the shorter blades, thinking they’ll do, you won’t have rudder authority.
    leeboweffectLast resort is to build a Hacra, and frankly I would love to try this myself, hang a set of Hobie 16 rudders on it. You might even be able to adapt the Hobie castings.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119418&g2_serialNumber=4

This is actually a fairly easy project. It requires drilling one new set of holes for the Hobie gudgeons, & obviously filling the old, & making sure you mount the new gudgeons plumb. You can see that the top Nacra fitting was used, & new holes made for the bottom fitting. It looks like they lft the old fitting in place & just ground off the "ears".
    The rudder pins will go straight in on a 5.0 or 5.7. Only the really old Nacras inset the transom, leaving a lip. Anything past about 1980 has flush transoms.
    It had been done on a 5.2 we parted out, using H18 rudder assembly. I sent the entire 2nd gen rudder assembly to a fellow in Texas. It should work on a 5.0 if the blades were of equal length.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82887&g2_serialNumber=6
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82884&g2_serialNumber=6

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 01, 2019 - 06:40 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • leeboweffect

Last resort is to build a Hacra, and frankly I would love to try this myself, hang a set of Hobie 16 rudders on it. You might even be able to adapt the Hobie castings.

It seems that unless the rudders show up, modifying it to take Hobie rudders or buying Nacra rudders will be about $400-$500. At that point I am $1,100 in.

What about making a set of wooden rudders covered in a layer of fiberglass cloth? That would mean I'd have $200 in castings and and whatever ash or mahogany I use to build. Could also look into foam core construction. Would need someone who is willing to mail me a loaner to copy. This could make the $600 Nacra 5.0 worthwhile but is also not as simple since the shape is important especially at high speeds. Do plans exist for the 5.0/5.7 rudders?
  • There probably is nothing wrong with making wooden boards. Texastuma's tornado is all wood with wood boards

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Wonder of anyone has tried making castings. Wouldn't be complicated either.

So $500-$600 is ok depending on condition without rudders?
  • I just finished a pair of wood rudders for my H17. Kind of an experiment to see how they do. Cost $20 for a suitable size piece of sapele which is denser than mahogany. The other I cut from an old mahogany force 5 dagger board. Took a couple hours to shape and sand. Contour is easy to replicate with a profile gauge. Both are lighter and stiffer than the original rudders.
  • markito787Wonder of anyone has tried making castings. Wouldn't be complicated either.

There are a couple of good threads here where sailors have built their own boards. With the proper skill set, & a board to copy, it would be a fun project.
    Castings? I think your nukkin futz. It would be way more productive to buy a set of H18 rudders, change out one gudgeon, & have a proven set of easily retractable rudders.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    markito787Wonder of anyone has tried making castings. Wouldn't be complicated either.

Castings? I think your nukkin futz. It would be way more productive to buy a set of H18 rudders, change out one gudgeon, & have a proven set of easily retractable rudders.

I meant making the gudgeon/tiller assembly. I have access to a machineshop and other fabrication equipment so all I will spend is time and not so much for materials. May be better that 125 per each gudgeon.

Anyone have a spare blade that i could borrow?

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.