Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking to purchase my first Cat - Need Advice  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi guys,
    New to the forum from Southern NJ, 57 year young 190 lb male.
    I currently own a Designers Choice with a jib (DC-15). I live at the bay, and can sail in a small area without having bridges opened...

I just had the opportunity to sail a Hobie Wave in the Ocean in Jamaica. Seems this is the boat of choice at resorts. This boat was fun to sail solo, but a bit slow...

So now I have the itch for Ocean Sailing, I have the opportunity to store a Cat on the Beach.
    The only limit is 16' max on our beach.

I plan on mainly taking one or 2 others with me, but eventually when I'm comfortable, going solo.
    Can someone please give me some insight as to the best boat, and reasons why. H16 or Getaway ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ventnor_Cat
  • Are those two models the only options you want to explore? I’ll assume so.
    My choice would be H16. Can be purchased used cheap, massive used parts market and a well proven design.
    Only downside is they don’t like to be loaded up with weight and can be a handful solo.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Badfish,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am not limited to any boat. I would ideally like to stay under 3k.

I would like to eventually solo, and if i'm limited to two people thats fine too..
  • ventnor_catBadfish,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am not limited to any boat. I would ideally like to stay under 3k.

I would like to eventually solo, and if i'm limited to two people thats fine too..

There's options out there. Nacra 5.0, Prindle 16 are the first off my head. I would suggest getting involved with a local group and start taking some rides. You'll find one you like and they're all pretty solid boats.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • ventnor_catSo now I have the itch for Ocean Sailing,

Here's the rub. The H16 is a 70 year-old design. The hulls are small and the frame is problematic.

Think about another similar-sized cat with more volume in the hulls for ocean sailing (where the hulls are connected by a set of crossbars instead of a raised platform). Look at one of the other high volume Hobies, a Prindle, or a NACRA in your price range.
    When you look at the other Hobie models, you'll realize that they got away from the small volume hulls and the raised platform pretty quickly, starting with the Hobie 18 in 1976. There was good reason for this.

Ocean sailing is really fun, and quite a challenge. A cat with lots of hull volume will be more forgiving in the waves.
    My $0.02

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    ventnor_catSo now I have the itch for Ocean Sailing,

Here's the rub. The H16 is a 70 year-old design. The hulls are small and the frame is problematic.

Think about another similar-sized cat with more volume in the hulls for ocean sailing (where the hulls are connected by a set of crossbars instead of a raised platform). Look at one of the other high volume Hobies, a Prindle, or a NACRA in your price range.
    When you look at the other Hobie models, you'll realize that they got away from the small volume hulls and the raised platform pretty quickly, starting with the Hobie 18 in 1976. There was good reason for this.

Ocean sailing is really fun, and quite a challenge. A cat with lots of hull volume will be more forgiving in the waves.
    My $0.02

Worth while to point out the original design brief for the H16 was beach launching and ocean sailing. It is probably the most widely sailed boat off the beaches in the world. The Worrell 1000 was started on H16. That's not saying some boats are better, but I wouldn't skip out on one.

Edited by badfish on Mar 21, 2019 - 02:56 PM.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • Bummer about the 16' limit. If you want to sail 2-3 people 18' plus would be better.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • gahambyBummer about the 16' limit. If you want to sail 2-3 people 18' plus would be better.

This is what opened my eyes to the Getaway... but seems most reviews I have read kinda said its the Minivan of sailing... I dont plan on racing at this point, but would be nice to have the best of both worlds.. be able to go for leasurly ride with non sailers, and also to be able to get white nuckels from time to time..
  • "Here's the rub. The H16 is a 70 year-old design. The hulls are small and the frame is problematic"
    sorry but that's not accurate

In 1967, Alter designed the Hobie 14 Catamaran.- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobie_Cat
    The Hobie 16 was unleashed on the Southern California beach scene in 1970 and sailing was instantly transformed. - https://www.hobie.com/sail/hobie-16/

That makes the h16 48 years old
  • "This is what opened my eyes to the Getaway... but seems most reviews I have read kinda said its the Minivan of sailing... I dont plan on racing at this point, but would be nice to have the best of both worlds.. be able to go for leasurly ride with non sailers, and also to be able to get white nuckels from time to time.."

Getaway is a great compromise
    lots of room for people (esp with wings) but can still fly a hull and spray you in the face
    you wont be beating any modern performance cats but you will be out there with them having fun
  • Getaway. All fun, no worries.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Technically speaking, both the Hobie 16 (16’-7”) and Getaway (17’) exceed your 16’ length limit.

Just saying- you might want to talk to other locals to see how strict the town actually is with that limit. Where in NJ are you sailing?

sm
  • If you are going to be moving that boat on the beach by yourself, you may want to look at one of the lighter 16' boats available today. I have no problem pushing my Blades around on beach wheels and it checks off a few other boxes mentioned here.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • The pre-2017 Hobie Getaways are still “under 17 ft”.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Hmmm, worth noting that the Hobie 16 is still in production after all these years. Just saying.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • dssaakIf you are going to be moving that boat on the beach by yourself, you may want to look at one of the lighter 16' boats available today. I have no problem pushing my Blades around on beach wheels and it checks off a few other boxes mentioned here.

Doesn’t meet OPs 3,000 budget.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • A real survivor, unlike the Hobie T2, which IS 16ft AND rotomolded like the Getaway AND has a spin. Hobie appears to have pulled this “new generation of Hobie Cat“ in the US, after just a couple of years. icon_rolleyes

Maybe you can find one of these orphaned boats at a discount.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • 48 is the new 70 lol A Prindle 16 with good solid hulls is hard to beat and you can stack more people on it.I think you can buy a Dart 16 in the USA maybe hard to find though

Edited by onekiwi on Mar 21, 2019 - 11:57 PM.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • g cat 5.0 is a pretty great boat
  • I went with the Getaway. Love the boat. Easy to rig from the trailer. Up to 6 people. Funnnnnn.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9Kz6-0hlbnb9I_N769F8rtZHjiWDdcfp-0TbyMdiewaitfvJbV_l33DcHlFK9nu2xDFEA-Xg2Zd--Yz-NTzbNqMKxZhecBA6kAGZtb-bFIQJYxE-KZUKhWRhZnbLj0uAopQB8RcOsQ2TGf3QF1QWbC9MjphT1j46gSfGGdMRk6UpExTHxeYDqZwPcIUI5efPOyYr5NNtt6DzKIYxk24lT4huzgZfSoH6h7HjIvauk_g8ULcLLdJeOmM7YntR_pv8ylWuNeVCg7dQtsJ10yIDzrIOu-8DFu0ffCSp4o5k0BioCbU4Sf2pYf3Bs72vFsiJbt4NGI5Ik7-qU2vB4jEp-n-ZyOVRub-nTlQXr2REzIA3OKTWeFHdpO7AG4f-_eaghKBn6D-bJCofLalYoo5zd4bSGr-ZSLWw_JcpXQTkyAPnUytS3fwjgMSecleZC53YqGV44cvvvq1pa80BqSM4mfVChw4Ntu3bQpvCx9SY3SK_8yYpoV0KlArQmvsBjhVAssXe5ycFPLpn9Jk-KZmuznV5SjlYId5O-Xs1vMsiJ0YM2wMkqEIvGzGnUNeH-EXcU-1RvX8b58pdVhkztJjTJBZVfCDq5LoRFkXozsk0eceJJyl6QiD7e3HtbdBhPrDQh3B_3iUxQScMQ6Bgb-CA4hj0qh0N2yw=w658-h877-no

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.