Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking to purchase my first Cat - Need Advice  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• ventnor_cat: You really need to check on that length limit as dogboy suggests.....most length numbers in boat names/models are nominal figures. Of all the cats specified above, only the Prindle 16 and Dart 16 are 16' or less LOA. No experience with Darts, but it sounds like a Prindle 16 would fit all of your criteria.

+1 on Joshua's advice to find other catsailors in your area as well. Even if you have to travel a little, it's by far the best way to learn and find the right boat.

Edited by rattlenhum on Mar 23, 2019 - 09:53 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • A Super Cat 15 will meet the length requirement. It will sail two well enough, three will be crowded and performance will suffer. There is plenty of buoyancy in the hulls.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Not sure how flexible your budget is, but in my neck of the woods a Getaway will run at least 4K, and you need to have a little left over for the unforeseen things a used boat always needs, and beach wheels should probably be in your future as well. 3k will go pretty far in Hobie 16, Prindle 16 world. I think you’d like the Getaway, and really the only option if you plan on more than one passenger, but with your budget and size restrictions it will pay to be open minded. I love my Hobie 16
  • I own a nacra 5.2 almost the same size as a hobie 16 it cuts thru the water like butter and try as I might I can't pitch pole it but I have stuffed both bows and pops up like a cork. Pretty good with 2 people getting crowded with 3 .This is a cat with dagger boards so one more thing to pay attention to especially coming in to shore.I have sailed many hobie 16s at my club and this is the 1st cat I bought no regrets no trouble getting people to sail with me either this boat is alot of fun.
  • QuoteA Super Cat 15 will meet the length requirement. It will sail two well enough, three will be crowded and performance will suffer. There is plenty of buoyancy in the hulls.

Plus 1 on the comments above. Great support from Aquarius and a very fun boat for 1 or two. OK when you load up with 3, if the two are smallish. I sail regularly with two grandkids at under 100# each, and myself at 185.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.