Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle Rebuild  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• Yes, wireable pins. The failed shackle was tool tightened and taped, not wired. The only one that wasn’t.

Regarding the furler’s pigtail, picture the weight of a tensioned rig resting on that swivel pin, via the thimble. Then take the mast and rock it back and forth a little, a few thousand times. It’s easy to see how it could rotate the horizontal pin over time.

I don’t believe there’s any way to wire or tape it, so loctite seems the best solution.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Bingo! My go-to choice when seizing wire or zip tie are not being used is the red loc-tite. An old timer taught me how to think like a Gremlin - simply put, how could I f-up the boat causing havoc and chaos amongst the parts and pieces onboard? What could break and cause to most trouble? From there I learned to look at the things a lot differently and became surprisingly proactive in maintaining the boat in B-0 ready status. Although I’ve had Murphy onboard in years past, he doesn’t seem to show up as much anymore, but I know he’s out there waiting and watching!

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Does the red let you unscrew with pliers? I’ve always heard red holds to well and blue not well enough
  • I think Loctite 243 Blue is usually recommended. (Medium strength seize).

In the red tube, of course icon_rolleyes

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Oh- and the head of that flush pin is slotted for a small flathead. And it strips easily.

We now return you to Johns original P18-2 thread,.. icon_lol

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuFer sure. It comes pre-assembled by Murrays, and apparently they didn’t use any.

In fact, it’s a low profile pin and you wouldn’t even think to check it. But a furling forestay, with a snorkel is subject to tons of vibration and rotation that a static forestay, minus the sail, does not contend with.

I recently had an upper forestay shackle fail (on the icon_eek water) and discovered that the swivel pin was walking itself loose too. Everything was less than 2 years old, and stored mast up.

It’s a good idea to use only LOCKING shackles and also periodically inspect the turnbuckle buried inside your jib luff sleeve.

There was a recall on the Ronstan swivels last December... Murray's sent me a new one with an pre-samped return envelope...

You may want to look into that...

tsteinBingo! An old timer taught me how to think like a Gremlin - simply put, how could I f-up the boat causing havoc and chaos amongst the parts and pieces onboard? What could break and cause to most trouble?

In my "airport rat" days I use to hang out at the local maintenance shop trying to absorb what I could... One of the old grizzly mechanics would say the same thing.. Also taught me to find out what caused the part to break or failure and fix that too...

Edited by JohnES on Jun 15, 2019 - 11:36 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Contacted Murrays. Thanks John.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • QuoteThere was a recall on the Ronstan swivels last December... Murray's sent me a new one with an pre-samped return envelope...

I did. It's been over a week since I contacted them by email. Absolutely NO response. Pathetic.

Almost as lame as the order they lost for 2 months at the end of last year. Again - just silence until you chase them and chase them. ticktick WTH! heybaby

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • FWIW, my research finds no public recall of the ronstan product... https://www.ronstan.com/RnImage_374x374/230.jpg

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • QuoteAlmost as lame as the order they lost for 2 months at the end of last year. Again - just silence until you chase them and chase them

That is weak - in this day and age you can't have customer support issues like this - there is too much competition for online business
  • Disappointing to hear about the lack of response in this case to an email, but I called them a couple of weeks ago about a trap adjustment rigging issue and a representative spent a long time on the phone with me discussing a subject that was clearly not going to make them much money once I decided what I needed to order. So I was impressed and thankful for the time/service they provided.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • We had an issue with them sending us the wrong trap wires last week. A call to them and the new ones were on the way along with a return authorization for the wrong parts. They were also very helpful during the ordering
    process with figuring out which lines to order to match our adjusters. I think the take away from these last two posts is to pick up the phone and give them a call and they will most likely give you the answers that you are looking for.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • nohuhu
    QuoteThere was a recall on the Ronstan swivels last December... Murray's sent me a new one with an pre-samped return envelope...

I did. It's been over a week since I contacted them by email. Absolutely NO response. Pathetic.

Almost as lame as the order they lost for 2 months at the end of last year. Again - just silence until you chase them and chase them. ticktick WTH! heybaby

That doesn't sound like the Murray's Marine that I have been dealing with since the Ronnie Ray-Gun's first term... living on both the west and the east coast...

You should try calling them, they do have an 800 number.

Edited by JohnES on Jun 25, 2019 - 01:59 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks guys. It's not just an email, it's a confirmed online order that went missing, and slow or no responses to inquiries about that. In "theory", online ordering is there to prevent mistakes and track fulfillment.

My past orders with Murrays were not an issue. Some were done over the phone. But relying on personal phone contact works against me in my time zone.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate Murrays expert knowledge and location, and inventory. But lately, they've demonstrated to me that they have some quality control and communications issues that management seriously needs to work on.

This forum is an appropriate place for us to bring this up, as well as any "stellar" retail experiences they may have provided.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Not excusing Murray’s non response, but they have always been responsive to me. Tom has helped me out a few times on some time sensitive items that really saved the day, including getting me a Hobie 16 main from California to Florida in the knick of time when I tore mine before a big trip.
  • nohuhuThanks guys. It's not just an email, it's a confirmed online order that went missing, and slow or no responses to inquiries about that. In "theory", online ordering is there to prevent mistakes and track fulfillment.

My past orders with Murrays were not an issue. Some were done over the phone. But relying on personal phone contact works against me in my time zone.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate Murrays expert knowledge and location, and inventory. But lately, they've demonstrated to me that they have some quality control and communications issues that management seriously needs to work on.

This forum is an appropriate place for us to bring this up, as well as any "stellar" retail experiences they may have provided.

I would call them and ask for Dray, Tom, or Steve Murray and relay your concerns with them as well... If something is lacking I am sure they would be grateful for your feedback.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Mahalo for that, John. It's being worked on and I appear not to be effected by this.

Did they ever mention what the recall issue was?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuMahalo for that, John. It's being worked on and I appear not to be effected by this.

Did they ever mention what the recall issue was?

Some quality control thing and a few of them failed... don't remember the particulars..

Edited by JohnES on Jun 26, 2019 - 08:37 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.