Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Synthetic standing rigging anyone?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• mikekrantzI just load tested a set of my heat treated SK99 shrouds that have been outside under tension for 3 years. They are 2.5mm rated at 1200kg/2,645 lbs - (BTW 1/8 wire 1x19 is rated at 1,800 lbs).

Anyway, after 3 years hard use, left in the sun, stepping/unstepping the mast many times, traveled with, raced, etc. - they broke at a little over 2,400 lbs. And they broke in an area that been chafed quite often by the mainsheet. i typically have to re-coat the lower couple of feet with maxi-jacket once a year. When in light air, and i'm trapping really forward, the mainsheet is sometimes rubbing the lower part of the shroud when trimming.

thanks for the info
    i always love the stories about "the punisher"
    what rig was this 2.5mm line on?

Edited by MN3 on Sep 18, 2018 - 06:00 PM.
  • A-Class cat
  • https://youtu.be/lz3hbRmy-7w

Here is my review of my Colligo Marine soft rigging and tutorial of solo rigging my prindle 19 (Morris Covin's old boat) Thanks to Ernie Kamp and Scott Tuma for the ideas on solo rigging. Works like a charm, especially with the new rigging. There is also more to come from Colligo, a synthetic forestay that will be roller furller compatible.

I know it may not be class legal, but who gives a darn when you are mostly sailing for a good time.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • cholley12https://youtu.be/lz3hbRmy-7w

Here is my review of my Colligo Marine soft rigging and tutorial of solo rigging my prindle 19 (Morris Covin's old boat) Thanks to Ernie Kamp and Scott Tuma for the ideas on solo rigging. Works like a charm, especially with the new rigging. There is also more to come from Colligo, a synthetic forestay that will be roller furller compatible.

I know it may not be class legal, but who gives a darn when you are mostly sailing for a good time.

looks nice - i drool over my friends rigging from them on his tri
    one day ...

can you tell me more about that shroud block system? or show a pic ?
    i don't see it on their site http://www.colligomarine.…ategory=Standing+Rigging

also - adjusting your shrouds: not sure if it will help but on my h18, i adjusted shroud tension the same way. one way that worked well for me in most wind conditions (not in shifty wind) was to leave the shrouds semi lose during rigging. when the boat was all rigged, either on wheels or floating (with someone holding a bow so i didn't turn off the wind)I... turn directly into the wind, and travel all the way out and sheet it in. that would make the shroud very lose and i could tighten it without being in the harness on land - then do the other side
  • The Colligo stuff sure is nice. I looked hard at a boat with Dynex Dux.

On my big boat, there's 30+ feet of 3/8 shroud/stay in the air, that's about 30 pounds flying. Eventually, I'm planning on soft standing rigging... but that's a ways down the boat bucks list.

Randii
  • MN3
    cholley12https://youtu.be/lz3hbRmy-7w

looks nice - i drool over my friends rigging from them on his tri
    one day ...

can you tell me more about that shroud block system? or show a pic ?
    i don't see it on their site http://www.colligomarine.…ategory=Standing+Rigging

also - adjusting your shrouds: not sure if it will help but on my h18, i adjusted shroud tension the same way. one way that worked well for me in most wind conditions (not in shifty wind) was to leave the shrouds semi lose during rigging. when the boat was all rigged, either on wheels or floating (with someone holding a bow so i didn't turn off the wind)I... turn directly into the wind, and travel all the way out and sheet it in. that would make the shroud very lose and i could tighten it without being in the harness on land - then do the other side

Itll be a couple weeks before i can get you any pics. I work off shore, but ill describe it for you. Its an aluuminum block with a slot for thr lashing line to travel through sideways and two large holes, one larger to allow a stopper knot to pass and the other to catch it (these are connected by a 4 mm slot). I think thr rest is evident on the video. John is updating the design a little from some of my suggestions, and will have the webpage updated soon

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.