Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Replacement Tramp question  Bottom

• So, my H18 tramp blew up a month ago. It's the original blue mesh "welded" seam 3 piece tramp. I noticed a 3" tear along the tramp track, just where the jib block probably hits it.
    I thought about some sort of repair, but wife wanted to sail that day, so we went out in a good blow, & it basically split most of the length.
    I don't think it's repairable, so I started looking for a new, or good used one. I saw one of the manufacturers wanted to know if the boat had wings, something about cutouts for the wing mounts.
    I have factory Magnum wings, (at least the sticker on the wings says "Magnum"), do I need a different tramp, or will any H18 tramp work?
    Thanks

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The outboard corners of the tramp need to be cut away slightly if you run the wings, otherwise the tramp will contact the mounting brackets on the crossbars. It’s not a big deal and Hobie mentions doing this in the wing installation instructions. You would just want to use a hot knife to cut the tramp so the fabric doesn’t unravel. I’m sure the tramp manufacturer was asking so they could do it rather than you having to do it.

sm
  • Just have one made to the standard dimensions and trim the corners for the wing attachment yourself you'll be able to visualize the room you need ant not cut off any more than you need to. You always have your old one to use as a template. My 2 cents worth.
  • I'm going to part out one of my 18's and have a used Black mesh one or I have a new black mesh that came with my other one that I went with a solid one instead

--
    H14
    H16
    H18
    H18
    --
  • Thanks for the intel, that opens up more choices. I was leaning towards a 1 pc, to get rid of the open seam down the middle that lets the sheets fall through, but, I also like the welded seams of the factory tramps. I find the sewn edges on my Nacra to be like 80 grit sandpaper when you slide a knee across them.
    Also,if I go with a 3 pc factory design, I don't have to remove the wings & rear beam to get the 3rd piece off.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177Thanks for the intel, that opens up more choices. I was leaning towards a 1 pc, to get rid of the open seam down the middle that lets the sheets fall through, but, I also like the welded seams of the factory tramps. I find the sewn edges on my Nacra to be like 80 grit sandpaper when you slide a knee across them.
    Also,if I go with a 3 pc factory design, I don't have to remove the wings & rear beam to get the 3rd piece off.

The Hobie factory mesh tramps are expensive but about as good as a tramp can be.

I've used both one and tree piece on the H18 with wings without a problem.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Curious how a one-piece tramp would install on a H18 since the tramp track is on the front of the crossbar, I would think the dolphin striker post gets in the way. Do you have to remove the dolphin striker to install the tramp, or does the tramp have to wrap over the top of the crossbar? Hobie only makes 3 piece tramps for the 18.

I also second the statement that Hobie tramps are about as good as you can get. A Hobie tramp that's been well maintained (i.e., kept out of the sun when not being used) can easily last 20 years.

sm
  • QuoteThe Hobie factory mesh tramps are expensive but about as good as a tramp can be.

I've used both one and tree piece on the H18 with wings without a problem.

QuoteI also second the statement that Hobie tramps are about as good as you can get. A Hobie tramp that's been well maintained (i.e., kept out of the sun when not being used) can easily last 20 years.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The one being replaced is original, has only lasted since '84 icon_biggrin
    I had never given it a second thought as other than a bit of bleaching of the blue color where the hiking straps go, there was zero damage, no loose threads, holes. The welded seams were all solid.
    I don't know if the small rip that started,(right where the jib block would hit), was due to the jib block, or something else. I thought it might be repairable, but one of us knelt on it during a good wind dy, & zzzziiippp!
    It tore about 3'.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteCurious how a one-piece tramp would install on a H18 since the tramp track is on the front of the crossbar, I would think the dolphin striker post gets in the way. Do you have to remove the dolphin striker to install the tramp, or does the tramp have to wrap over the top of the crossbar? Hobie only makes 3 piece tramps for the 18.

I never thought about that, but you raise a good point. I'm sure each side of the tramp could be worked into the widened portion of the track, but I can't see any way to wrap a single full span tramp around the bottom of the beam without the DS stopping you.
    It could work by going over the top, (with a suitable cutout for the mast ball), but that would create a sharp angle at the end of the track. I think tensioning would put a real strain point there.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • the 2 pc tramps have a cut for the striker rod pull the tramp around it feed each front side in from the center then you feed sides in together

Edited by in812 on Nov 03, 2018 - 01:05 AM.

--
    H14
    H16
    H18
    H18
    --
  • Buy the Hobie 3 piece then a line catcher from SLO sail.

My History:
    H18's about a dozen (with and without wings)
    H16 one
    H20 two
    H Tiger three
    H14 two

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.