Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Poly interlude paint  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I hope it's no more popping decks off again. But I highly recommend to do it if you had even minor repairs.Today I noticed another problem bad centerboards delaminated at bottom. Also it is stuck and will not slide out. The other one came out fine.anyone ever have this problem with the prindle18.2?
    Mn3, does the prindle 18.2 have the gaskets around the centerboards. Mine doesn't have them. Looks like that would slow this boat down not having gaskets but what do I know. I did think about that studying that today,

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --
  • I mentioned mn3 about centerboards gasket but Jonathon is the guy with the 18.2. Mn3 might know as well.

--
    --
  • No gaskets on the P 18-2 nor 19

Mystere's and Tornado's use them - not sure about other boats
  • For the delimitation of centreboards , the west system epoxy is your best friend . I've blew mine wide open hitting rocks in the shallows . Sand them down a bit , apply a thickened mix of west system epoxy in stages (depending on the degree of damage ) . Build up to the rough shape and then sand it down . The epoxy is very easy to shape .Use some vises to compress boards when curing . I had no experience when I first tried and now am very capable .
  • QuoteFor the delimitation of centreboards , the west system epoxy is your best friend . I've blew mine wide open hitting rocks in the shallows . Sand them down a bit , apply a thickened mix of west system epoxy in stages (depending on the degree of damage ) . Build up to the rough shape and then sand it down . The epoxy is very easy to shape .Use some vises to compress boards when curing . I had no experience when I first tried and now am very capable .

totally agree
    the goodall guys have a great video showing the repair of boards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyWSnAvI9A

trick i love is to use wax paper to flatten out the epoxy (or gelcoat) out as it kicks off.
    if done right there is almost no shaping needed and minimal fairing
  • Great video.and thanking all for the advice and my question.

--
    --
  • Has anyone ever popped the deck on the middle Deck? One hull worked fine the other deck I am worried about. I am having problems getting the center board well separated. That we'll has damage where it attaches to the bottom of hull. I want to get in there to repair the well from the inside and outside also that centerboards is stuck in the well. The tear in the well is about 2 inches long. I know the previous owner had a leak. Note I got the deck separated from the Thule excepted I ant separate it from the well.This is a prindle 18.2 same structure as the prindle 19.Thanks

--
    --
  • QuoteHas anyone ever popped the deck on the middle Deck

I haven't but have seen a mystere with all the decks off

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129599&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by MN3 on Feb 17, 2018 - 10:03 AM.
  • Yep looks like my mess. Thank for the photo mn3. That well is tough to seperate.any thoughts?

--
    --
  • no thoughts sorry
  • Gosh this project has wore me out. Mn3 was correct and yes countless hours. I finally finished the top decks and have them sealed good. Sanding on the hulls now and correcting blemishes. I have already put 80 hours in the hulls. The rate I am going another 250 hrs. The last phase will be repairing the slightly damage rudders and centerboards. Super video about repairing and molding the boards by mn3. Thanks. I got the centerboard out of the 18.2 just jerk it good. I guess they are designed that way and seems to just lock in where the pic is snug at the very bottom.Wow we hat have I gotten into. I never dream this project would take so much time and money. I figured about 500.00 on epoxy and cloth and poly resin,sand paper acetone, mask tape and many other supplies.also will have to buy a new tarp. New lines,some fittings. Overhaul the trailer. I hope those nacra 5.5 sails work.I think I'll make the work. But I believe the boat will look ok when done. I am a perfectionist but the question is did I do it properly. Advice if you find a boat well taken care of and everything looks up to snuff the buy that boat. I will have a small fortune in mine when done.

--
    --
  • yea man, it seems working on boats is always much more work than expected
    rewarding as hell when done correct (and frustrating as hell when it doesn't go well)

even small sail repairs (seem small to me) end up taking soooo much longer than expected due to having to remove things like leach, luff and or batten pockets.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.